Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Expansion valve?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 11:18 AM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts
Default Expansion valve?

Took my fan box off last night. The expansion Valve has this black sticky stuff on it. Do I just cut it off with a knife before trying to remove this thing?

Also does anyone have part numbers for the 6 screws that hold the base of the AC fan box to the car? I cannot find them.
Attached Images   
Old 08-02-2017, 01:43 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Jerry there might already be a split on the other side, it's just a sort of sticky foam insulation.
If not yes just cut it off carefully with a knife. Later you can reinstall with a zip tie around the foam...BTDT
Old 08-02-2017, 01:54 PM
Boeing 717

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
Jerry there might already be a split on the other side, it's just a sort of sticky foam insulation.
If not yes just cut it off carefully with a knife. Later you can reinstall with a zip tie around the foam...BTDT
Thanks, I found the replacement foam and ordered it as well.
I looked and looked but so far no evidence of dye anywhere. May have to have it checked with an electronic leak checked. But of course that entails putting it all back together and recharging it.
Are these evaporators pretty reliable or are they a common failure point in these cars?
Old 08-02-2017, 03:43 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

I don't think I've ever heard of an evaporator failure in a 944.
Just o-rings dry out, expansion valve gets sticky/clogged with stop-leak stuff, condenser fins mashed/tubes clogged, or hoses develop leaks.

All typical old car AC problems, not 968 specific...really, once you sort it, it will work well
As they say, "keep on keepin on"
Old 08-02-2017, 04:58 PM
Boeing 717

I don't think I've ever heard of an evaporator failure in a 944.
Just o-rings dry out, expansion valve gets sticky/clogged with stop-leak stuff, condenser fins mashed/tubes clogged, or hoses develop leaks.

All typical old car AC problems, not 968 specific...really, once you sort it, it will work well
As they say, "keep on keepin on"
Thanks, that is good news and your the second person to tell me that.
So far I have new condenser, compressor, drier, high pressure hose.
I took the foam off the expansion valve and there is no dye around that area or any area that I have inspected. Maybe I should not assume the freon has leaked out and check for another reason the compressor isn't coming on. Fuses and relays looked ok.
Have you or anyone else reinstalled that sticky foam around a new expansion valve? That looks like it's going to be difficult to get it on there correctly.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:31 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

944 572 464 00 are the screws for the lid. 94 on lids are 70 bucks and have the cabin filter option.

variable type valves can trap small bits and its usually pretty audible. the insulation should be air tight to keep the valve from sweating and try to include a bit of the capillary line so its efficient.

personally, i would yank the dash and swap the core. look closely at the loops at the end of the runs especially if it is copper to aluminum....or copper painted to look like aluminum. a dissimilar metal thing. if you do replace it, go with all copper or all aluminum.

Freon...in most forms, tends to deteriorate foam. yours looks stellar so you are probably not leaking gas into the housing. the windshields tend to oil spots above the defrost vents on most of the bad core cars i have fiddled with.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:42 PM
Boeing 717

Originally Posted by thomasmryan
944 572 464 00 are the screws for the lid. 94 on lids are 70 bucks and have the cabin filter option.

variable type valves can trap small bits and its usually pretty audible. the insulation should be air tight to keep the valve from sweating and try to include a bit of the capillary line so its efficient.

personally, i would yank the dash and swap the core. look closely at the loops at the end of the runs especially if it is copper to aluminum....or copper painted to look like aluminum. a dissimilar metal thing. if you do replace it, go with all copper or all aluminum.
Thank you. I did order the screws for the top half. But the 6 hex screws for the base are what I need and don't show up in my parts diagram. They have special rubber washers as well.

Not into pulling the dash right now!!
Old 08-02-2017, 06:55 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

its never fun....the bad housings have the mouses head chopped off in the fan cage. even after disassembly and cleaning, you still get ode-du-carcus smell sometimes

93 and later show a different number on the expansion valve and there is a part number for the black mamby stuff.

I wonder if your interior sensor is giving you off readings
Old 08-02-2017, 07:00 PM
Boeing 717

Originally Posted by thomasmryan
its never fun....the bad housings have the mouses head chopped off in the fan cage. even after disassembly and cleaning, you still get ode-du-carcus smell sometimes

93 and later show a different number on the expansion valve and there is a part number for the black mamby stuff.
I disassembled the fan housing and cleaned everything. Looks great, just waiting on the new ballast resistor I ordered and the screws of course.
Speaking of the later model that has the cabin filter. Couldn't I just get some filter material and attach it to those screens on each end of the housing? Looks like it would be a pretty easy mod.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:11 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Boeing 717
Have you or anyone else reinstalled that sticky foam around a new expansion valve? That looks like it's going to be difficult to get it on there correctly.
My car is an early model but the TXV is the same shape/style as yours. I re-used the factory foam piece with a ziptie, I wasn't super careful with reinstalling it like thomas suggested, just stuck it back on so it fit.

Having pulled the squirrel cage fan off to fix this, you're doing really good. Most often I see people cutting through the plastic to get to the TXV rather than remove the fan.

Will the compressor run if you jumper the low pressure switch?
Old 08-02-2017, 08:13 PM
Boeing 717

My car is an early model but the TXV is the same shape/style as yours. I re-used the factory foam piece with a ziptie, I wasn't super careful with reinstalling it like thomas suggested, just stuck it back on so it fit.
Ok thanks. I was thinking if the new one was already pre-shaped it would get totally mangled during the install but I don't know if it's going to be like a roll of tape or what.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:49 AM
chudson
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Boeing 717
Ok thanks. I was thinking if the new one was already pre-shaped it would get totally mangled during the install but I don't know if it's going to be like a roll of tape or what.
Jerry - The catalog shows what appears to be a molded component. However, what is around your valve is the sticky / gooey material that we discussed on the phone and will likely arrive in the "roll of tape" form that you described.

Back in the day every shop doing A/C work had a bulk roll of this insulation material. I've still got a partial roll of it in my parts room, but with the design of today's cars I can tell you that we haven't needed it in years

Quick Reply: Expansion valve?