Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

green PDAS activation light in dash gauge - how activate?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2004, 12:38 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 628 Likes on 482 Posts
Default green PDAS activation light in dash gauge - how activate?

I have gotten to page 215 of Adrian's book, and it mentions that some C-4's don't have the green PDAS activation light in the instrument gauge that works when the system is activated. Well, mine is one of them - that light doesn't light up, but I think it would be fun to have it work!

I did a search of the 'board, but didn't find anything. Does anyone have information about getting this light to work? Is it as easy as installing a light bulb in the instrument gauge since I do see where it should be - it just doesn't light up!

THanks and Happy New Year!!

In this image you can see the green window for the activation light, but it's not active...
Attached Images  
Old 01-01-2004, 04:27 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

No 964 C4 was delivered with the green light activated. The reason is that it is too distracting especially at night. It was removed from the pre-production series.
If you want it to work all you do is take out the instrument, remove the blank, insert a bulb and it should work.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 01-02-2004, 09:49 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up let there be light!

Thanks Adrian, it worked!

I was lucky that I went to the dealer to get the light, since it comes with the base attached - standard auto parts stores just sell the bulb with no screw-in base.

I have yet to drive it during the night, so we'll see if it is too distracting. It's funny that I made the joke several months back about wiring the yellow PDAS light to a dash mounted light - and there actually is a way to do it!!! And I did it!

Thanks again for the tip Adrian.
Attached Images  
Old 01-03-2004, 03:40 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Please let us know if it gets annoying at night. Depending upon where you live you may never see it come on of course. It will only activate when the rear wheels lock together.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 01-03-2004, 10:26 PM
914und993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my PDAS green light installed. It actually came on quite frequently under normal use on dry city streets when I would hit a sharp bump. I didn't personally find it distracting day or night, but its easy to see how many would.

Chip
Old 01-08-2004, 02:37 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Default update!

Hi Guys, thought I'd followup with regards to my little green light!

Being in San Diego, California, it is dry as heck, but the roads stink with regards to status of repair. So, I do get to see the light come on, not due to slippery conditions, but to suspension abuse from pot holes and the like.

It's interesting to try to figure out when the light will activate; it appears to come on when ever there is a big bump that involves both the right and left wheels, either front or rear. If one wheel (right or left) hits a pot hole (of course I try to avoid...) the light does not activate; but a ridge in the ground spanning the right and left wheels will surely get the light to come on momentarily.

Tonight I took a 2nd gear U-turn under significant throttle, and the light was on the whole time with not even a chirp of the tires! Can't do that in my 65 911!!!

Don't you love these cars?!

But, the moral of the story, is that I enjoy the light. It's as though my C4 is talking to me, telling me it's helping me through use of its expensive machinery! I like it, and so far it's not too intrusive. It comes on about 5 times on my drive home which is about 14 minutes long (4 miles non-freeway is all). So far the novelty has not worn off!!
Old 12-15-2004, 04:31 AM
jenskleis
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys,

I have tried to put a bulb in the green PDAS light, but it still does not work. Do you have any suggestions what might be the problem (I did check the bulb. It works! ;-).

Take care
Old 12-15-2004, 10:38 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

While you've got the gauge out, just to be sure: switch a bulb from a working light into that slot. The bulb may work if you test it outside of the slot, but its little "arms" might be screwed up. Just a thought for the obvious...

Otherwise you may have a very dirty set of contacts in the gauge - try rotating the bulb in-and-out to clean up the contacts. That may work...
Old 12-15-2004, 11:00 AM
jenskleis
Rennlist Member

Thanks Garrett,

I will try your fixes this weekend and let you know how it goes.

Take care
Old 12-16-2004, 03:39 PM
DavidI
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Might be worth checking to make sure the yellow light in the centre console comes on - if neither light then maybe it's a sensor problem?
Old 12-16-2004, 04:16 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Very good point David!!! Definitely something to check first!
Old 12-16-2004, 07:57 PM
jenskleis
Rennlist Member

Guys,

I have tried all fixes and still no green light. I also tried with another gauge, and it does not work either, which leads me to think my car does not have the cables for the green PDAS light installed.

BTW, the yellow indicator next to the PDAS switch does work.

Take care
Old 12-17-2004, 10:20 AM
DavidI
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Seems odd that Porsche would change the wiring between Garrett's '92 and your '93 but it looks that way. FWIW I took mine out after a couple of months as it got to light up very often here in the wet UK, and I would guess that in Lausanne at this time of year it would be pretty much a permanent fixture
Old 12-17-2004, 01:01 PM
BaysideC4
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 1990, I will put in a bulb this weekend and report back.
Old 12-19-2004, 04:50 PM
BaysideC4
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I put the bulb in and it worked. I see how it may be a distraction but I will give it a few weeks.

jenskleis - I also tried with another gauge, and it does not work either, which leads me to think my car does not have the cables for the green PDAS light installed.
jenskleis - I doubt the problem is that your car isn’t wired, my car is three years older than yours.

Quick Reply: green PDAS activation light in dash gauge - how activate?