964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Extensive 3.6 Turbo Paint Preservation and Restoration Project

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 05:03 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 384 Likes on 196 Posts

Looks spectacular--job well done!

I wished the car had more original parts on them..
Old 09-13-2017, 01:13 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
Looks spectacular--job well done!

I wished the car had more original parts on them..
I believe the only non-stock parts is the shift **** and e-brake handle which are easily replaced. Am I missing something else?
Old 09-13-2017, 03:26 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,063 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Originally Posted by Detailed Designs
I believe the only non-stock parts is the shift **** and e-brake handle which are easily replaced. Am I missing something else?
Suspension, exhaust, handbrake and shift **** is all I see. Still these are changed on most and the car is still stunning. Seems the ROW market is much strong right no for these cars. I don't know if they are selling but there are several for sale outside the US for over $300k but they are all rare color combos.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:11 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 384 Likes on 196 Posts

Turbo S wheels in addition to the mods mentioned by others... that's probably the first thing that caught my eye...
Old 09-21-2017, 08:34 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CRex
Turbo S wheels in addition to the mods mentioned by others... that's probably the first thing that caught my eye...
$350 option for polished vs stock silver painted centers many stock 3.6T's came with them along with a number painted black and PTS centers.

You could also option to have PTS and black calipers vs red.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:48 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,483 Likes on 4,127 Posts

I just love looking at the pics of this car after the detail. The only thing I see in any of them that sticks out now that it's so nice everywhere is the milkyness or discoloration on the ignition cover inside (3rd to last pic in first post). Is there a way to correct that or have the plasticizers evacuated from the material making it look like that?
Old 09-21-2017, 10:28 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
I just love looking at the pics of this car after the detail. The only thing I see in any of them that sticks out now that it's so nice everywhere is the milkyness or discoloration on the ignition cover inside (3rd to last pic in first post). Is there a way to correct that or have the plasticizers evacuated from the material making it look like that?

https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...31600170B.html

There not very expensive.

Aftermarket is cheaper and looks as good.
http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-I...31600170B.html
Old 09-22-2017, 10:49 AM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Thanks

Mr. ^^^^ hit the nail on the head about the plastic bits and you are right about the plasticizers.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:15 AM
Doms964TurboII
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, nice job, can I ask how you did the rear lights?
flat and polish?
Thanks

Originally Posted by Detailed Designs
When it comes to reviving and turning back the clock on existing paint, paint restoration(paint correction) is the bee's knees. This 21k mile 1994 3.6 Turbo got just that. As the pictures show, her paint was wanting some attention.

As a relatively new acquisition that would be daily driven (2 miles per day) by my client, absolute perfection was not the goal. Something beautiful, but livable and manageable was the primary target. We set the target at a 7 out of 10 on a restorative detail scale...though, I think he came away a bit better than a 7...

We picked her up from my client's home in our enclosed custom hauler, took our time with the restoration and then delivered the car to him at the Caffeine and Exotics car show in Atlanta(which we sponsor). It is not uncommon for a client's car to get featured in our spot at the show but more often than not we are showing a newer car getting paint protection film, Modesta coatings, etc., etc. So having a 3.6 Turbo that got extensive paint restoration and no new car protection services was really neat for us as paint restoration and extensive restorative detailing was what my business was founded on 10 years ago. It was like stepping back in time and getting to share it with others was a treat for me.

At the show, the car was a huge hit. There were a lot of drooling car enthusiasts enjoying this rare bird.

Thanks for clicking and I hope you enjoy the content.

Loaded up at our client's home and ready to make the trip to "Pork and Bean County"(hah) where our shop is located.

She's definitely ready for some sweet sweet attention. (Our client knew he was about to drop some coin so he was okay getting his money's worth not washing it prior to us picking it up )

After a wash and decontamination we could see what was really going on with the paint. Here are some before and after shots of the paint showing the payoff on the investment.

Emblems removed to get 24 years of junk out and paint properly restored.

Too many years without this being done means intense etching occurs and cuts through the paint. Not uncommon on on classics at all though. But now when it all goes back together it will look 100x better.

All plastics were restored to a former glory that was a distant memory.

The paint was not the only surfaces to be restored. The rubber seals and trim were given the same care that the paint got. The devil's in the details. Learn how we did it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TkB3hQW6a4

When the dust settled, this rare bird looked better than it had in decades.

Although it was not featured in this piece. The interior got many hours of attention to restore the look, feel and smell of the leather seats, the hard vinyl surfaces were stripped on years of oily products and conditioned and carpets were steam cleaned. In short, this girl was made up for the ball.

Before loading it in our trailer we shot a bit of video showing off the attitude this car now had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GRw88-tsgc

After all this work was done, we scheduled to deliver the car to our client at the Caffeine and Exotics car show in Atlanta where it would be featured.

Before the show opened up and was surrounded by drooling car enthusiasts...

It was a fun project that my staff and I really found a lot of joy in working on. I hope that all of you enjoyed this brief write up. If you have any questions, fire away!
Old 11-29-2017, 11:33 AM
yahh
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Absolutely gorgeous car, wish my car cleaned up a about a 1/10th of this.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:17 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Doms964TurboII
Hi, nice job, can I ask how you did the rear lights?
flat and polish?
Thanks
Sure thing.
We removed them and then performed a similar service as to what the paint got(paint correction). But, with them being plastic, it meant we had to be extra sensitive to heating the surface or causing them to crack by flexing them.

Originally Posted by yahh
Absolutely gorgeous car, wish my car cleaned up a about a 1/10th of this.
The first 1/10th is crazy easy. The last 1/10th is not.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:38 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,483 Likes on 4,127 Posts

Jean-Claude, I followed up with you via email a couple weeks ago (11/16) on the Cayenne we've been casually talking about. Though we're still a few weeks out, can you get back to me on that? Thanks a lot.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:45 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Jean-Claude, I followed up with you via email a couple weeks ago (11/16) on the Cayenne we've been casually talking about. Though we're still a few weeks out, can you get back to me on that? Thanks a lot.
Yes sir! I got your email and you're on my list of people to contact today.

Quick Reply: Extensive 3.6 Turbo Paint Preservation and Restoration Project