964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Best car cover for our cars?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 03:13 PM
matt33
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Best car cover for our cars?

Looking for an indoor cover that has some kind of padding to prevent paintwork damage from accidental knocks.

What do you all use?

Looking at the Suncoast options and a few others online.. its just impossible to tell whats what.

Thanks
Matty
Old 06-19-2017, 04:40 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

I use a $30 non-form fitting cover I got off Amazon and I have forbid anyone from entering my garage, thereby eliminating any possibility of damage to my car
Old 06-19-2017, 05:56 PM
matt33
Rennlist Member

Nice! Right now I have a similar setup.. in fact I even have a camera allowing me to check 24x7 from anywhere in the world!

The high class problem is that I am adding another horse to the stable... meaning one car at any point in time will be in a secure, but share garage.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:41 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,038 Likes on 658 Posts

Hey Matty, I'll chime in here & maybe, hopefully help you out a bit.

Similar to yourself, I wanted an indoor cover that provided a bit of thickness protection, but not too much that it would be like a thick rug over top. Plus I still like to see some of the distinct lines of our cars. I also didn't want to break the bank,... but I was willing to spend less than a couple Benjamin's.

This was also back in 2010 that I purchased this one from California Car Cover. I liked that the panel design was already in their repository, and already took into account the original whale tail, and that it had a soft felt like interior, but a smoother outter layer that I was hoping any dust would be easily whisked or blown off. All good, and I'm happy to report I've also been happy with the stitching over the past 7 yrs.

At the time of purchase, it was item # C13524SF, and sold for $179. ... which for some reason does not translate to a material type on their website. But if my memory serves, it was a Plushweave Cotton Flannel. But now I see that they actually have a Satin Fleece indoor cover too.

http://www.calcarcover.com/car-cover...%20Tail/All/1/

Have fun choosing...
=Steve

Last edited by bweSteve; 06-20-2017 at 12:15 AM.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:38 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 130 Posts

^agree with Steve on Cal Car Covers. I have the Customweave for my other car. Flannel lined, so the side that touches the car is ultrasoft. Will easily protect against inadvertent brushes with the car in a tight garage.

Pic with the Porsche to stay relevant to the forum

Name:  IMG_0542_zpseg8jq4xd.jpg
Views: 1030
Size:  2.35 MB
Old 06-20-2017, 10:56 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bonehead
No doubt, those are nice covers.

As for me, I had an incident a couple years ago when I received an unsolicited offer to sell my car from sketchy individual that saw it when I had my garage door up. Up to that point, I didn't have a cover. So now, whenever my garage door up, my car is covered.

My spec for one was it had to not be form fitting in order to obscure the car shape. Where I work, we do this all the time to cars that haven't been revealed to the public. It works pretty good.

Now when the day comes that I get a Ford GT (I do have plans to acquire a Superformance Mk II) it will be difficult to obscure it under a cover. However, a Ford GT looks damn good even when covered

Last edited by Metal Guru; 06-20-2017 at 12:22 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:28 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,038 Likes on 658 Posts

Good points Paul.

Guess it all depends on where you live & how much public traffic exposure one has.

I live on a private dead end road with only 10 homes, and I'm down near the end. I almost never get anyone passing by my place. So for me, I prefer to see the lines. In fact I usually hate it when it has to be covered. I prefer it to be open to my eyes as much as possible. And now that I got the whole car CeramicPro coated (4 coats 9H, 2 coats Hydrophobic, rims, calipers, interior, windows, etc), I try to leave it uncovered as much as possible. Even the dust just slides off!! That stuff is amazing for a single stage solvent paint from the early 90's. I am so glad I had that done.
Sorry, off topic.

=Steve
Old 06-20-2017, 08:28 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
No doubt, those are nice covers.

As for me, I had an incident a couple years ago when I received an unsolicited offer to sell my car from sketchy individual that saw it when I had my garage door up. Up to that point, I didn't have a cover. So now, whenever my garage door up, my car is covered.

My spec for one was it had to not be form fitting in order to obscure the car shape. Where I work, we do this all the time to cars that haven't been revealed to the public. It works pretty good.

Now when the day comes that I get a Ford GT (I do have plans to acquire a Superformance Mk II) it will be difficult to obscure it under a cover. However, a Ford GT looks damn good even when covered
Ha. Agree with Steve, again. If I feel compelled to cover the car (how does so much dust get in the garage?!?!), at least I'd like to see the outline. Fortunately, my garage is set back behind the house, so it's not that readily visible from the street.

Are you buying a built SPF or spec'ing one yourself? I was originally looking to buy a SPF MKII, but after getting a ride in one, I realized I didn't fit very well.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:46 PM
matt33
Rennlist Member

Wow.. thanks for all the detail and the contacts!

Just spoke to Cal Covers and they shared that the below three fabrics provide the most dent/ding protection:

1. Dustop (Indoor only)
2. Noah
3. Stormweave

Of the three the guy said Dustop provides the best, but is indoor only (which is fine in my case) and is $210 without any optional extras (bag, piping, embroidery). The others are $220 +/-

I also found CoverCraft who sell two that provide ding protection:

1. Dustop (same fabric provider used by Cal Covers $230)
2. Form-fit (much more exact fit and softer fabric $400)

They also said that Dustop is the better for ding protection, and price is mainly due to how exactly the fit is on the form-fit.

Interesting point on a loose fit option to disguise the car.. will need to think about that, otherwise the CalCovers Dustop is probably the one.

Thanks again for the ideas and comments!

Matty
Old 06-20-2017, 10:12 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bonehead
Are you buying a built SPF or spec'ing one yourself? I was originally looking to buy a SPF MKII, but after getting a ride in one, I realized I didn't fit very well.
I'm looking at this point at cars already built. Unfortunately, they all have small block 7 liter engines and I'd really prefer an FE big block.
It might take a while to find what I prefer.
As for my garage, it's in view of the street so I almost always have to keep the door down.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:45 AM
matt33
Rennlist Member

Went with the Cal Covers Dustop (primarily looking for ding/bump protection indoors).

Photos dont do justice really.. the fabric is really nice and has a density to it that would definitely provide some bump protection. Fresh out of the packaging hence the wrinkles.

Matty

Old 07-12-2017, 10:23 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,169 Posts

I have the plush weave California car cover for two cars along with a Noah cover and the Porsche factory cover similar to the Noah.

IMO the factory cover is a bit harsh on the paint but it is good for the occasional need to have a car sit outside. The Noah was outstanding initially but over the years it has begun to disintegrate. (it is 10 years old now) It has torn in several locations especially by the tail. Maybe I tugged on it to hard but the material just seems to be falling apart. I really like the plush weave for indoor use but I have found that no matter what over time it builds up dust and it ends up on the painted surface. I use my garage so no doubt I make a dusty mess sometimes. If your garage doesn't get used the way mine does it will probably be Ok.

Ideally I am thinking of buying a dust cover to go over the plush weave.

Quick Reply: Best car cover for our cars?