Originally Posted by maverick

..........teaser😎
Its home!!!!

Congrats.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:38 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 131 Posts

Great meeting you yesterday. Glad to see the turbo up and running!
Old 11-19-2017, 08:31 PM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

Nice...

Question ?? which EZ are you using ? and did you test the EZ 3.6 on your car?
Old 11-20-2017, 12:13 AM
maverick
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Ok guys, well it's been a great weekend, temperature in Tx was awesome and a cold front came in last night. The car runs so well, and the cooler air just amplifies the driving experience. We went with the first controller Cobalt sent down (see post #70) as it worked better with the car. The other one ran at a higher RPM and not knowing what the chipset was doing and with no way to know if, how or what could be adjusted, seemed the most logical route. After several discussions with multiple mechanics it was determined the 3.6 would most likely not be as compatible.....giving it a different part number certainly lends credence to it being different or they would have just used the same part. As my previous post indicated we replaced all 6 intake risers($35 ea) and replaced the turbo hose and a few others that were accessible with everything out. The engine sound mat was replaced, (really clean up the engine bay) and everything was buttoned back up. I had purchased new tail light package several years ago but hadn't got around to installing, so did that and wow what a difference. They are factory originals and a matched set so all lights the same color pallet.
After a year away its like having a new car....took her to a charity Texas Treffen event yesterday ( great to meet up with Bonehead) and then drove her most of the day today.....soooooo much fun😎 I found new cleaning polishing products from CarPro which I'll make another post about, but goodness talk about a step change in car care and ease of cleaning post treatment!!!
A huge and heartfelt thanks to the forum community and especially to Anthony, aka Cobalt for his trust and generosity in loaning/sending unobtanium parts to facilitate the solution.
Happy Thanksgiving and safe motoring...
Old 11-20-2017, 09:24 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,958 Likes on 1,184 Posts

Glad to see it up and running. Sometimes those little things can make a huge difference. I am curious how the car feels overall. Do you have any dyno charts or other info that might show what the unit I sent you is doing? Do you feel as though it is up on power or the same?

Unfortunately it snowed last night here. Just a dusting but no doubt it was more up in the mountains which means salt so no annual Thanksgiving weekend drive with Ilko and others. I was considering taking the turbo out for one last drive before winter sleep. Oh well.

Drive it in good health.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:21 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,045 Likes on 663 Posts

yes definitely glad to hear you're back running & enjoying a solid {lengthy} drive. The 3 days of really good twisties on the Asheville Treffen gave me that back in Sept, and I'm still riding the stoke from that,... so I know how you're feeling.

and thanks for adding pics to your thread too. Love looking at these,... & of course favor the red. Nicely done.

Oh yea, btw I did all 3 of my my rear lens' back about 7 or 8 yrs ago, and yes it made a huge difference too. And it was even hard to swallow the Porsche pricing even that long ago. But well worth it.

subscribed.

Oh,.. and those tips look like the round GHL tips I took off several years ago & now have sitting on my shelf. I went back to the original tips. But then lost some of the sound that those round tips gave,.. and spiraled into a quest to remove my wastegate side cat. funny how that works. But I'm happy to report that my WOT exhaust note is back to where I want it.

=Steve
Old 11-20-2017, 07:59 PM
maverick
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
Glad to see it up and running. Sometimes those little things can make a huge difference. I am curious how the car feels overall. Do you have any dyno charts or other info that might show what the unit I sent you is doing? Do you feel as though it is up on power or the same?

Unfortunately it snowed last night here. Just a dusting but no doubt it was more up in the mountains which means salt so no annual Thanksgiving weekend drive with Ilko and others. I was considering taking the turbo out for one last drive before winter sleep. Oh well.

Drive it in good health.
We did put her on the Dyno before we replaced the intake risers and turbo hose, it was up in hp since the last Dyno I had run 10 yrs ago but i also changed the turbo to a k27hf and Tial wastegate, Leasek WUR ETC. I'm going to run her agin now it's all buttoned up and dialed in so will let you know.
Seat of,the pants test says the turbo comes in much quicker and when up in the 60/70 mph range feeds in very smoothly and effortlessly......seems to be a different character than she was.....feels quicker.

Enjoy the snow and the forced hibernatio, I'm voting for a calm weather winter here in Houston!!
Old 11-20-2017, 08:23 PM
maverick
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bweSteve
yes definitely glad to hear you're back running & enjoying a solid {lengthy} drive. The 3 days of really good twisties on the Asheville Treffen gave me that back in Sept, and I'm still riding the stoke from that,... so I know how you're feeling.

and thanks for adding pics to your thread too. Love looking at these,... & of course favor the red. Nicely done.

Oh yea, btw I did all 3 of my my rear lens' back about 7 or 8 yrs ago, and yes it made a huge difference too. And it was even hard to swallow the Porsche pricing even that long ago. But well worth it.

subscribed.

Oh,.. and those tips look like the round GHL tips I took off several years ago & now have sitting on my shelf. I went back to the original tips. But then lost some of the sound that those round tips gave,.. and spiraled into a quest to remove my wastegate side cat. funny how that works. But I'm happy to report that my WOT exhaust note is back to where I want it.

=Steve
thanks Steve, yes "arrest me Red" as my wife calls it!! I've had her for 17 years and the exhaust was on her.....I was tempted to shorten the tips but then realized that would impact the bumper from heat so just never bothered to change it......it's kind of part of her character now. I have put on different headers and cats seem to have gone walk about😉 She does roar and tunnels and underpasses tend to bring out the kid in me I'm afraid😁
Ill post more pictures when I post on the polish and sealant.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:34 PM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
You have to take what Streather has written about Turbos with a grain of salt.
To whit:

The control unit also has a pressure sensor installed. This pressure sensor is connected to the throttle body.

Then Streather further states:

The pressure sensor line is relocated to the downstream section of the throttle
body. This was done to reduce the impacts of full load pulsations on the pressure sensor installed in the control unit.

In actual fact, the hose to the sensor was never connected to the throttle body, either upstream or downstream, but to the intake manifold.

Granted, this is a minor error but trust me, there are much bigger ones in that book.

As reference material for Turbos go, Streather's book belongs on your coffee table, not in your garage.

Then Streather further states:

The pressure sensor line is relocated to the downstream section of the throttle body. In fact, the hose to the sensor was connected to the intake manifold on all 3.3 and to the throttle body to the 3.6 Turbo's, This was done to reduce the impacts of full load pulsations on the pressure sensor installed in the control unit.

I'm thinking of changing the vacuum lines to the TB and see what happens, Any opinions ?

Helio

Quick Reply: No spark