964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Intercooler Gasket 965.504.211.02 Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 01:42 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,055 Likes on 669 Posts
Default Intercooler Gasket 965.504.211.02 Install

Has anyone ever replaced one of these gaskets under your tail tray?

It is the gasket that seals against the top tray of your intercooler when you close your engine lid.

Mine has a ever-so-slight heat-burn in it, and since we've been entering it Concours these last 3 years, and doing well with it,.. and now I seem to be running out of fun things to restore/replace on it,... I'm reaching for the very last few things.

My question is whether this xxx.xxx.xxx.02 (superseded the 965.504.211.00 & 965.504.211.01 before it), now comes with the adhesive already installed on it (for example with a cellophane plastic strip that you can peel off when ready to stick it to the plastic tray under the whale tail.

Or do I need to buy some sort of glue (which seems messy).

Have any of you looked closely at how that gasket is installed on yours?

Thanks in advance,
=Steve

Item # 17 ...

Old 04-05-2017, 10:19 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 430 Likes on 310 Posts

Yes, I did that back when I first got my car, therefore it's a minor miracle that I actually remember doing it
It just slips on to the "air duct" aperture (part #14). No adhesives required.
What I circled is a cross-section of the seal. It inserts into the air duct edge at the "mouth" at the top of the section.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Metal Guru; 04-06-2017 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-07-2017, 02:03 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Thank you VERY much Paul.

Your guidance gave me the confidence to just pull on it. Came off no problem.

Now I'm ready when the part arrives. 2 min job. nice.

Thanks again,
=Steve
Old 04-27-2017, 05:47 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Ok, the gasket arrived from Germany,... but upon inspection it is no longer anything like the original.

I'm only really doing this for the originality aspect,... so Concours does make a difference to me (it's not just the functionality). So please don't kick me around for nit picking the differences.

So my question to you guys now is this: Do you think at this point,... 27 yrs later,.. I can get an original one, that's not all beat to crap?

Not sure I trust the dismantlers (if they even had one) not to say "sure this ones in great shape!".

Thoughts? Here's a couple pics of the original I just took off the car...

Old 04-27-2017, 10:48 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

If you buy another old one and it doesn't seal, your leaving hp on the table. You want the engine fan to pull cool air through the intercooler, not around it.
I'd put the new one on and not worry about the possible point deductions.
There will be other parts that have been superseded by 993 parts so you will find yourself in the same predicament.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:21 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,259 Likes on 1,341 Posts

Steve,

Unless I am judging your car , after seeing what has passed as originality on these cars at Parade level I don't think the average Concours judge would know the difference. Trust me.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:04 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Thanks Bud. But you know I love a challenge too. The fun is in the journey!
I'll call around & see what I can find. Never know.
=S
Old 04-28-2017, 06:41 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Your wheels are not OE so you should find some Cup1's for your car.
I'll take the Speelines off your hands for you when you do
Old 04-30-2017, 01:01 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

yea, I thought long & hard about buying the Cup 1's from Cobalt
Old 05-15-2017, 01:12 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

well,... just thought since this side of our forum is kinda quiet (964T), I'd chime back in & close the books on this one.
{... if you're reading this, please know that I am just going to spew thoughts off the top of my head, and this is just one mans ramblings :-) }

Sanity & good common sense prevailed, and like Paul said, there are other areas of my car that I just do NOT want back to original stock,.. so why fight a wearable rubber product such as this Intercooler gasket. AND a good solid {long} conversation with Anthony knocked some good 'ol sense into this noggin'. ;-) ... besides, I think my days of really trying to compete hard in Concours (w/ this car) are dwindling anyway. it's been fun for 4 yrs or so,... but now the wife & I want to start taking it back out on the road in a bigger way. We've got 78k miles on it, so what the heck, why not!! Only live for so long anyway...

So to help wrap this story up a bit, it didn't matter much, since I couldn't find anyone with an all original, and in good shape IC gasket like this. What was I thinkin' anyway!! There were less than ~950 3.3 964 Turbo's sold in the US in the only two years they sold them here 1991 & 1992..... so WHAT made me think I could find a IC gasket from one of them?? hahaha!

But I gotta admit, the fun part of all this, was in my lengthy conversation with COBALT, I came to realize that it is the "Hunt" that is most enjoyable. The journey. The anticipation that you might find what you're looking for. Probably the reason it's so much fun to go to the swap meets eh?
So I don't fault myself for going out & looking...

I think, as it probably is for most of you too,... its the personalization of our cars that make them our own. Those little things we make decisions on. So for me, I like what I like. I'm a purist at heart, but I also want what pleases me (even if it's an aftermarket mod like my exhaust). So in this case,... I went with what was "smart"....

I put the brand new .02 IC gasket on the car. I must admit the rubber is really nice. It is now designed more like a windshield wiper blade. It still attaches to the plastic housing the same way,.. but now just a blade of thick rubber stick down into the Intercooler tray & provides for a nicely sealed air director. So as Paul said, it's performance that should outweigh it all anyway.

Thanks guys. Hope all is well in your camps.
=Steve

P.S. Oh, Cobalt,... I was doing some searching of old threads, and came across one from back in 2007, that talked about the quantity of 964 Turbo's build & sold (but within this thread, it was focusing only on 3.3 & 3.6 964 Turbo's. I think I'll pull my book back out & post a revival of that thread, and see if now, 10yrs later, we can post some better numbers. Plus of course some speculation on how many are "off" the roads too (museums, collections, wrecked, etc),... might be fun to really get a sense of how many are like ours,... with those of us willing to drive them out on the street (even if it IS only on a Amelia Island Concours weekend haha!!)...
Old 05-15-2017, 03:01 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bweSteve
well,... just thought since this side of our forum is kinda quiet (964T), I'd chime back in & close the books on this one.
{... if you're reading this, please know that I am just going to spew thoughts off the top of my head, and this is just one mans ramblings :-) }

Sanity & good common sense prevailed, and like Paul said, there are other areas of my car that I just do NOT want back to original stock,.. so why fight a wearable rubber product such as this Intercooler gasket. AND a good solid {long} conversation with Anthony knocked some good 'ol sense into this noggin'. ;-) ... besides, I think my days of really trying to compete hard in Concours (w/ this car) are dwindling anyway. it's been fun for 4 yrs or so,... but now the wife & I want to start taking it back out on the road in a bigger way. We've got 78k miles on it, so what the heck, why not!! Only live for so long anyway...

So to help wrap this story up a bit, it didn't matter much, since I couldn't find anyone with an all original, and in good shape IC gasket like this. What was I thinkin' anyway!! There were less than ~950 3.3 964 Turbo's sold in the US in the only two years they sold them here 1991 & 1992..... so WHAT made me think I could find a IC gasket from one of them?? hahaha!

But I gotta admit, the fun part of all this, was in my lengthy conversation with COBALT, I came to realize that it is the "Hunt" that is most enjoyable. The journey. The anticipation that you might find what you're looking for. Probably the reason it's so much fun to go to the swap meets eh?
So I don't fault myself for going out & looking...

I think, as it probably is for most of you too,... its the personalization of our cars that make them our own. Those little things we make decisions on. So for me, I like what I like. I'm a purist at heart, but I also want what pleases me (even if it's an aftermarket mod like my exhaust). So in this case,... I went with what was "smart"....

I put the brand new .02 IC gasket on the car. I must admit the rubber is really nice. It is now designed more like a windshield wiper blade. It still attaches to the plastic housing the same way,.. but now just a blade of thick rubber stick down into the Intercooler tray & provides for a nicely sealed air director. So as Paul said, it's performance that should outweigh it all anyway.

Thanks guys. Hope all is well in your camps.
=Steve

P.S. Oh, Cobalt,... I was doing some searching of old threads, and came across one from back in 2007, that talked about the quantity of 964 Turbo's build & sold (but within this thread, it was focusing only on 3.3 & 3.6 964 Turbo's. I think I'll pull my book back out & post a revival of that thread, and see if now, 10yrs later, we can post some better numbers. Plus of course some speculation on how many are "off" the roads too (museums, collections, wrecked, etc),... might be fun to really get a sense of how many are like ours,... with those of us willing to drive them out on the street (even if it IS only on a Amelia Island Concours weekend haha!!)...

Took care of it for you. The numbers keep shrinking as so much more has ben learned about these cars since 2007. Check the thread i broke it down based on the info provided by Gabriel and Franz.

You can edit your numbers there were actually 1297 possibly 1277 (depending on if they counted the 1992 turbo S2's or not) US spec 964 turbos imported. This included all North American and Canadian turbos and both 3.3 & 3.6 plus turbo S cars. IIRC they all used the same rubber piece you are referencing. Although the turbo S tail used a different plastic shroud that lowered it to the level of the IC since the turbo S tail sat higher on the lid than the regular tail.

The most important thing is you enjoy the car. I like to keep things so they can be converted back to stock but that is not everyones approach.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:43 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Hey guys,

Since this was my thread to start, and even though unrelated to the Intercooler gasket,... it is related to Intercooler plumbing, and boost... { never know, it may help someone else someday }

Last week, for a 5 day trip, I took the car down to Asheville for the PCA Treffen, drove some phenomenal twisties for 4 days, but on the last day, had a strange whooshing sound impeding power. It happened just subsequent to a long highway entrance ramp where I was WOT through 2nd, 3rd & 4th. As I let off, I noticed the loss of power & whooshing sound (during light throttle on, & back off). The car cruised along fine for 4 miles+, all vitals were fine,.. and I pulled into a rest area to check things out. As I'm drifting into the parking lot, clutched it into neutral, it died.

Ended up being a simple issue of hose clamp on a turbo charge line at the back left corner of the Intercooler. The threads on the worm gear, as well as the clamp band itself, were worn from old age & over-use. It failed, and the hose just popped off. The car ran fine for 4-5 minutes at 60mph, but clearly once it idled down, it had an affect.

Thanks go out to Paul MetalGuru, and Anthony Cobalt,... for both helping "talk-it-through" with me.

Here's a pic. easy fix, no worries.

=Steve
Old 10-02-2017, 05:50 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

That would do it. Nothing like a permanently open blow off valve. LOL

Might consider a billet upgrade while you're at it.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:38 PM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 114 Posts

Good Catch
Old 10-02-2017, 10:36 PM
maverick
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Steve not to be picky....but I see dust below the blow off valve just above the hose clamp.....could cost you a 1/2 point

On you initial post about the gasket, a few years back I found a used one on eBay....not perfect but better than mine and it came with the plastic tray.....can you share where you got the replacement bask it from and how much?

By the way I co/ran the Lone Star Region concourse for 13 yrs and so am also a Qtip addict

Quick Reply: Intercooler Gasket 965.504.211.02 Install