964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Re-cover/Re-pad steering wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 03:11 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by bweSteve
Ed, did you decide not to go with colored stitching? or was that going to be a up-charge with Car Bone? .... or both?

=Steve
Hey Steve
Stitching color, I believe, was a no cost option. I just wanted to keep it as close to stock appearing as possible....well, with the exception of the top centering stripe
Old 04-12-2017, 03:17 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by bonehead
....well, with the exception of the top centering stripe
right,... that's why I asked.

Plus for me, over time my grubby hands would have stained any colored stitching anyway.

love the choice on the stripe.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:45 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bweSteve
right,... that's why I asked.

Plus for me, over time my grubby hands would have stained any colored stitching anyway.

love the choice on the stripe.
Thanks. Yeah, any colors would get dirty after a while. But unless the interior has matching deviated stitching, it just stands out too much. Out of place, IMO. Centering stripe gives it a subtle accent and, of course, is functional.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:07 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 660 Posts

I have a centering stitched section in the sport wheel of my 958 CTT,... but alas it is not a different color. It is the same color as the rest of my steering wheel. And I do indeed have deviated stitching in my entire interior. I do wish that centering stripe was a different color.

Even though it's a SUV, I think it would really improve the "sportiness" look.

PLUS, it would help me when I am autocrossing !!

Nicely done Ed.
=Steve
Old 04-14-2017, 12:56 AM
maverick
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Ed what thickness did you select or was there only one option? Look forward to seeing the finished article ....need to catch up in H town
Old 04-14-2017, 01:00 AM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by maverick
Ed what thickness did you select or was there only one option? Look forward to seeing the finished article ....need to catch up in H town
You can choose the thickness. I went with approximately a 12 cm diameter (4.75 inches) which is slightly thicker than my BMW M-sport steering wheel that I have on my DD. That wheel feels great. Added just a hair more thickness to make it perfect in my hands.
Wheel should be delivered tomorrow. I can confirm at that point if they did as I requested.

I'll have it on by the next Paper Co meet. Come take a look.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:42 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received the wheel today. Fit and finish is very well done. Grip thickness not quite as wide as I requested, but it still feels great.
Took me about an hour to do the swap only because I couldn't get the torx screws that hold in the airbag to line up with the holes without a lot of trial and error. Also gave me the chance to fix the slightly off-center steering wheel which was driving me crazy every since I got the car.

Old (wheels are pointing straight ahead with the steering wheel in this position)
Name:  IMG_1161_zpsxu6rf9rp.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  2.11 MB

New
Name:  IMG_1164_zpsgomgrqp3.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  1.84 MB

Communication with them is a bit difficult only because of the time difference, but they are responsive.

Overall experience was very good. Communication was a bit lagging, but acceptable given the time difference. 6 weeks turnaround may seem a bit excessive to some, but as long as you have another wheel to use, it's no big deal. Given the significant price difference compared to Dallas, I'd say this is well worth it.
Old 04-15-2017, 03:16 PM
fnel1771
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

DSW offer 1/8 and 1/16. I did 1/8 and it is thick but I have big hands so irs ok. If I had to redo it I would do 1/16 like my buddy did. It just feels more comfortable. We will see what it feels like on track.

DSW workmanship is very much up to par even if you spec Porsche colours
Old 04-17-2017, 12:12 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Looks good.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:59 PM
maverick
Addict
Rennlist Member

Looks very nice...interested to hear if it alters the driving experience/feel.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:17 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Looks very nice...interested to hear if it alters the driving experience/feel.
Absolutely changes the driving experience. Aside from the seat, there is nothing you're more intimately in contact with in the car than the steering wheel. The thin OEM wheel bothered me from the day I drove it off from the transport. Felt like I was driving a bus or a vintage Nardi wood wheel (not necessarily bad, but completely inappropriate for this car). I don't have massive hands, but the tactile experience of the small wheel was horrible.

I only had the opportunity to take it for a quick highway run over the weekend, but improvement was immediately noticeable. Best analogy I can give is a golf club or tennis racket handle. Too big or too small and the ability to control them suffers. Grip one that allows your palm and fingers to grasp just enough surface area for maximum control, and it just feels 'right'.

As I had mentioned, the grip thickness was a bit smaller than I had originally speced, so this particularly one could be even better. But it's a significant improvement over OEM.

Maverick, do you come to the Paper Co PCA meet on the first Saturday? I'll try to make the next one and you're more than welcome to fondle my wheel
Old 04-20-2017, 11:21 PM
maverick
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ed not familiar with the paper co meet ....I know they have PCA meets on different sides of H town....ill check where the Paper co one is...hope to have the 964 back this weekend with new limited slip and shift linkage.....
Old 04-20-2017, 11:23 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Ed not familiar with the paper co meet ....I know they have PCA meets on different sides of H town....ill check where the Paper co one is...hope to have the 964 back this weekend with new limited slip and shift linkage.....
1st Saturday of every month. 8:30 to 10ish. LSRPCA has a meet somewhere every weekend, but this is their biggest one.

http://www.papercohouston.com/

Hope you can make it. Look forward to seeing your car!
Old 04-24-2017, 11:14 PM
maverick
Addict
Rennlist Member

Car willing I'll try to be there May 6th....may be 997 but I'll try

Quick Reply: Re-cover/Re-pad steering wheel?