Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 01:35 PM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Getting Manifold Pressure for my EBC

Hi Guys
Recieved my Blitz Dual Selonoid today, bought a used one on Ebay
I know how what hose to cut and connect to the selonoid, and I think I now where to install it.

The problem I have is to find a place to tap into and get manifold pressure.
On a 930 you find the pressure by splicing into the brake booster hose before the check valve in the trunk (which is close to the controller). But when checking out my car I don't think I have a break booster ?

Anyway, my question is simple, where is the place to meassure manifold pressure for my EBC ?

Please help, I want to install this thing so bad right now!!
Old 10-28-2003, 01:45 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Staffan,
Do you have the headlights adjuster system on your Turbo. You can tell by looking to the left of the headlight switch and looking for the thumbwheel. If you have the thumbwheel you have the adjusters. This uses manifold pressure and there is a t-piece with the pipe heading forward for this system on the engine.
I am reluctant to tap into engine systems vacuum but you have a vacuum supply to the top of the air diverter valve (part of the secondary air injection system) via the change over valve. I think this supply from the throttle valve connection to the change over valve would be a safe place to tap into.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 10-28-2003, 02:30 PM
L8Apex
Three Wheelin'

Staffan, will the SBC allow you to dial in the boost you want? Do you need to put a different boost spring in the wastegate to increase boost still?

Adrian, how does the headlights adjuster system work?
Old 10-28-2003, 02:56 PM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Adrian, I do have the headlight adjuster, creativity is surely the limit for how to use manifold pressure.

Do you recommend using this or should start figuring out what air diverter valve to tap into instead ?

If the headlight adjuster is the way to go, where do I tap into this pressure hose. There are a lot of hoses, valves and stuff....

Thanks!
Staffan
Old 10-28-2003, 03:23 PM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by L8Apex
Staffan, will the SBC allow you to dial in the boost you want? Do you need to put a different boost spring in the wastegate to increase boost still?

Adrian, how does the headlights adjuster system work?
You don't need to change the wastegate spring.
Actually it's recommended to use the stock spring.
The EBC "hijacks" the pressure reading going from the IC to the wastegate. It fools the wastegate, keeping it completly shut until it's time to open, which means the car will reach maximum boost faster.

My EBC can store 4 different boost settings.
There is a build-in boost protection, but if you are not careful you can damage you car.
I will run 0.9 bar.
Old 10-28-2003, 04:25 PM
jeff91C2T
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Whooooaaaa. I realize your writing a book Adrian, but is this good advice for a Turbo??? Measuring pressure like this sounds DANGEROUS. If it's not right, it won't take long to bust a few piston rings. Wouldn't we WANT to measure engine systems pressure at the source (intake manifold).

Anybody else care to comment???
Old 10-29-2003, 06:11 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Jeff,
I think you misread my post.
I do not see what the problem is. There are taps into the intake for these systems. You have to make sure that non of the taps contain a restrictor. First you find a suitable system to tap into and then if you read my post I say you use the manifold side of the line.
As Staffan said on the 930 they tap into the brake vacuum line. The points I have chosen have no restrictors that I know of in the manifold side tap.
Obviously you have to test these systems and make sure the readings are correct. You know your boost and this can be cross referenced to the measured manifold pressure. Before you install something you are required to confirm these things yourself. You tap, you measure then you install then you test it.
Boost is still the limiting factor for the engine.

Staffan. You will find on the intake manifold a t-piece or similar tap off. One tube goes off to the headlights. Stick your manifold pressure measurement device here first and check it provides what you need. If you are not happy with this use the check valve tap. Manifold side of the valve. Measure it first of course.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 10-29-2003, 10:47 AM
L8Apex
Three Wheelin'

Staffan

Thanks! One more question: Will the SBC prtoect from boost "spike"or "over boost"? Or would it be safer to go with the tial wastegate w/ a .8 boost spring and .2 inner spring?
Old 10-29-2003, 11:52 AM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by L8Apex
Staffan

Thanks! One more question: Will the SBC prtoect from boost "spike"or "over boost"? Or would it be safer to go with the tial wastegate w/ a .8 boost spring and .2 inner spring?
I don't know how the Tial wastegate works, so I can't compare it to my EBC.

Basically with the EBC you have to find a balance between safety and spool-up time that you feel comfortable with. If you set the "gain" to a low value the spool-up time will be long but you will be well protected against over boost and vice versa.

You can set a maximum boost level, when you reach that level the EBC will manipulate the pressure in such a way that the wastegate closes with a preset percentage.
With the right setup you will be reasonable safe I think.

I don't think there is a simple solution to the problem of overboost and boost spikes.

EDIT: another spelling error

Last edited by Staffan; 10-29-2003 at 04:18 PM.
Old 10-29-2003, 04:30 PM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Adrian

Staffan. You will find on the intake manifold a t-piece or similar tap off. One tube goes off to the headlights. Stick your manifold pressure measurement device here first and check it provides what you need. If you are not happy with this use the check valve tap. Manifold side of the valve. Measure it first of course.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Jeff, good point, better safe than sorry.

I think I will start by putting the EBC in "off" mode.
It will then keep the solenoids open and boost will be regulated by my stock spring, but the EBC will still measure and display boost.

Adrian thanks, I will see if I find this T-pipe, will look for it tomorrow, to much work at the moment

Thanks
Staffan
Old 10-31-2003, 05:14 AM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Oh man, there is a lot of hoses, pipes, valves and stuff in this car.

Found a air diverter valve on the right side of the engine, it has pipe going forward, with a check valve, another T-connection, another check valve, some kind of expansion thing, I am all confused.

On the other hand Adrian mentioned a valve related to the air pump, and that has to be on the left side of the engine.

I am very confused at the moment, this should be simple, plug it in here or there, theres got to be a numer of 964 turbo owners with boost gauges for example ?
Old 10-31-2003, 05:37 AM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

I found a air diverter valve on the left side, connected to what I think is the air pump. There is a small hose on top of the air diverter valve, is this where I should try plugging in ?

In the "without guesswork" book. the small hose at the air diverter valve mentioned above, should be connected to a "switch-over valve". I
Old 11-01-2003, 10:15 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Staffan,
Before you do any tapping you have to trace the line you wish to use back to the intake manifold. You can only use manifold pressure from the intake before it goes into something else. You can tap anywhere into the line as long as the line used meets the above requirements. You cannot tap into a line with anything between it and the intake manifold. I also repeat my previous intructions that you must measure the tap off point you wish to use to make sure it is correct. I also said you have to tap into the line from the intake manifold to the switch over valve not the air diverter valve.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 11-02-2003, 05:16 AM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

I will start by using the hose used by the ignition module and see how it goes, this one is connected to the throttle body.

It's located on the left side on the engine bay.
The hose goes into the EZ wich is the Bosch ignition system, the pressure feedback is used for retard/advance ignition.
You find the hose on a black panel between the fues panel and the fuel filter.

I will give an update on how it goes.

Damn this was more work than expected.
I spend a couple of hours just trying to figure out how to get the wiring from the engine bay into the cookpit, I think I have a plan for that now.

Later
Old 11-02-2003, 08:22 PM
L8Apex
Three Wheelin'

Great info guys!

Staffan,

If you get a chance can you post some pictures of what lines you are tapping into for the EBC? THX

Quick Reply: Getting Manifold Pressure for my EBC