Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

How many low mileage US spec turbo 3.6's left?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 10:07 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,170 Likes on 1,299 Posts
Default How many low mileage US spec turbo 3.6's left?

When I started looking for these cars over 10 years ago there were at least 7 available for purchase at any given time. I had at one time compiled over 117 vin numbers with mileage etc many cars were sold multiple times by RPM and then there were over 60 cars I had vins for that were either destroyed or had salvage titles. Unfortunately, I did not back up my data and the PC bit the big one.

I have to say it was rare that you found a sub 15k mile car unless RPM, Sloan or some other dealer had it for sale at premium pricing, most had upper 20K to 40k and over many did not sell due to EFI conversions not to mention many that had a sorted past.

We know that 350 were imported and numerous prime examples have left the US so how many real true low mileage turbo 3.6's can be left for the collector or speculator to pay up for?

I can't see there being many more hidden away a handful at best. So who ventures to guess? 0-10-15 tops I can't see the numbers being higher than that.

What do you think?
Old 08-05-2014, 11:00 PM
tasracer
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

37k miles on mine
Old 08-06-2014, 01:12 AM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I know someone in Miami that has one in storage since new with a 100 miles. Blk/blk.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:19 AM
MeanMachine
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In Kuwait there are Turbo 3.6's imported from America, I can't think of another place in the world that likes these cars as much as the people here.

There are 8 U.S cars over here.

From top of my mind :

2 Turbo S (3.6) = Red/Beige & Black/Black
6 Turbo 3.6 = 3 (Black/Black) 1(Black/Beige) 1(Blue/Offwhite) 1 Wimbeldon Green/Classic Grey

2 of the 8 mentioned are at least lower than 15,000 miles.

There is non U.S cars at least another 10.

There is one with 5,000 KM and the other 3-4 with delivery miles. The dealer has a 92 Turbo S lightweight with less than .100km delivery miles along with a 993 GT2 with the same fate.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:33 AM
MeanMachine
Three Wheelin'

I have seen pictures of a Black Turbo 3.6 in Saudi Arabia (USA Spec) and a Red one in Dubai (Imported from Abreau)
Old 08-06-2014, 07:45 AM
30 CSL
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MeanMachine
The dealer has a 92 Turbo S lightweight with less than .100km delivery miles along with a 993 GT2 with the same fate.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:58 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 530 Posts

My sense is that there are less than 250 clean cars left in the US, simply due to attrition and sales to other countries and I'd say 25 cars tops with less than 20k mi. I just broke 26k miles so I'm not part of the low mileage club anymore.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:00 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by David A
I know someone in Miami that has one in storage since new with a 100 miles. Blk/blk.
Originally Posted by MeanMachine
In Kuwait there are Turbo 3.6's imported from America, I can't think of another place in the world that likes these cars as much as the people here.

There are 8 U.S cars over here.

From top of my mind :

2 Turbo S (3.6) = Red/Beige & Black/Black
6 Turbo 3.6 = 3 (Black/Black) 1(Black/Beige) 1(Blue/Offwhite) 1 Wimbeldon Green/Classic Grey

2 of the 8 mentioned are at least lower than 15,000 miles.

There is non U.S cars at least another 10.

There is one with 5,000 KM and the other 3-4 with delivery miles. The dealer has a 92 Turbo S lightweight with less than .100km delivery miles along with a 993 GT2 with the same fate.
So here are some collectors dreams and would command serious premiums to the right person. Finding cars with less than 20k miles will be difficult for anyone in the US today they just don't come up for sale anymore RPM has a few and MG has the red one he is asking $375k for, can't imagine what they would ask for a 100 mile all original example.

Kind of a shame that nobody ever enjoyed driving these cars but to the collector I am sure they would go crazy for them.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:07 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
My sense is that there are less than 250 clean cars left in the US, simply due to attrition and sales to other countries and I'd say 25 cars tops with less than 20k mi. I just broke 26k miles so I'm not part of the low mileage club anymore.
I honestly think the number is lower probably less than 200 still here. 26k is still relatively low I purchased my car with 26k miles on the odo and now I am at 38k.

What I find most interesting is that when I was actively shopping I came across numerous cars that had issues. Accident damage, resprays without known history, low mileage engine rebuilds etc. Where have all these cars gone to? They seem to have disappeared or have people found a way to cover up their past?
Old 08-06-2014, 10:22 AM
MeanMachine
Three Wheelin'

My uncle was going to buy RPM Red/Beige Turbo 3.6 with 4k miles and he said no. He is holding to it.

Whatever a 964 Turbo is its a car you must hold on to, if it needs work do it.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:24 AM
Track Day

Originally Posted by cobalt
I honestly think the number is lower probably less than 200 still here. 26k is still relatively low I purchased my car with 26k miles on the odo and now I am at 38k. What I find most interesting is that when I was actively shopping I came across numerous cars that had issues. Accident damage, resprays without known history, low mileage engine rebuilds etc. Where have all these cars gone to? They seem to have disappeared or have people found a way to cover up their past?

My polar silver was originally from NY with a lady as the first owner, after a couple of hands a Japanese bought it and then bring it to Japan. i got it and is now in Hong Kong.
I found pennies and jap yen under the seat!
Old 08-06-2014, 11:26 AM
30 CSL
Instructor

On the other hand ( and let's also face it to have a complete and honnest picture ) : I'm not sure a 20+years old car having only covered 100miles would be good enough to drive ?!

Either you further move it on a trailer or - I'm pretty sure - you'll have to change almost everything ( including opening / checking the engine ) to prevent big surprises and disillusions
if you do intend to drive - even moderately - the car ! Am I wrong ?!

I love cars with very reasonable / moderate miles on the clock but I must admit that I would not especially feel comfortable with a 20+ years old car and a 3 digit mileage on the clock...

I only can speak about my own car / example : Car basically never driven past 3 years - engine started from time to time, which is not what I call driven - and I took the car for a 1500km
drive to attend Le Mans Classic in July : After 450km and without a single warning, engine suddenly cut off on the Autobahn !

Electrical issue ( never easy ) that we didn't 100% identify nor fix but for which we found a workaround ( after 2 hours spent on the Autobahn side ). Will bring the car to my favourite workshop in September to have the issue fixed.

I even do not imagine which kind of issues one could have to face with a car that has been basically standing 20+ years

It is obviously a different philosophy ( not mine ) to have a car with only 100 original miles and keeping this mileage for ever ( e.g. never drive the car ever ).
Old 08-06-2014, 11:28 AM
Track Day

mine was originally from NY with a lady being the first owner, after a couple of hands it went on to the hand of a Japanese
who then bring it back to Japan.
I acquire it last year and it's currently in Hong Kong.
it's Polar silver
Old 08-06-2014, 11:30 AM
Track Day

it''so got nearly 100kmiles on the clock but runs perfect
Old 08-06-2014, 11:56 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 30 CSL
On the other hand ( and let's also face it to have a complete and honnest picture ) : I'm not sure a 20+years old car having only covered 100miles would be good enough to drive ?!

Either you further move it on a trailer or - I'm pretty sure - you'll have to change almost everything ( including opening / checking the engine ) to prevent big surprises and disillusions
if you do intend to drive - even moderately - the car ! Am I wrong ?!

I love cars with very reasonable / moderate miles on the clock but I must admit that I would not especially feel comfortable with a 20+ years old car and a 3 digit mileage on the clock...

I only can speak about my own car / example : Car basically never driven past 3 years - engine started from time to time, which is not what I call driven - and I took the car for a 1500km
drive to attend Le Mans Classic in July : After 450km and without a single warning, engine suddenly cut off on the Autobahn !

Electrical issue ( never easy ) that we didn't 100% identify nor fix but for which we found a workaround ( after 2 hours spent on the Autobahn side ). Will bring the car to my favourite workshop in September to have the issue fixed.

I even do not imagine which kind of issues one could have to face with a car that has been basically standing 20+ years

It is obviously a different philosophy ( not mine ) to have a car with only 100 original miles and keeping this mileage for ever ( e.g. never drive the car ever ).
true but a collector paying top dollar is not looking for a car to drive. I am sure if they have the money they will be happy to have it sent back to Porsche for a reseal and refresh but proving it has only 100 miles is tough and if it can be proven will be part of the prize.

Quick Reply: How many low mileage US spec turbo 3.6's left?