Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

New 964 Turbo Owner with a couple ?s

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 10:02 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,302 Likes on 1,361 Posts

I would not modify the existing exhaust. Someday you may decide to sell and parts will be impossible to come by.

I have B&B headers with a HFK27 hybrid turbo and 1 bar spring on my 3.6T. I also have a PLX gauge that monitors my AFR, exhaust and intake temps and boost. muffler is a magnaflow 3" in 3" out. Car is set to run rich so I am not extracting max power but dyno shows 385rwhp and 391 rwtq. I am running 295 PS2's the car will break the tires loose at 5000 rpm in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears is faster than a 993Turbo S or modified 993TT with upgraded turbos and your average 996TT.

I have seen 3.3's with identical setup see numbers around 320-350rwhp.

Garrett's are oil cooled so it is a bit more complicated than basic modifications.

These are all safe numbers assuming the CIS and engine are in A1 condition to start. You can attempt to extract more but risk doing damage. i also will say the B&B is nice but build quality is not the best from my experience. There are other manufacturers that make a better quality product but might not extract as much HP although close. Also I would replace your BOV they usually are not working as well as new the billet versions seem to be a common upgrade.

If you are looking to add some growl you may consider a WG dump pipe instead of the cat or a hollowed out cat. This will make the car scream when the WG opens and is quite an impressive sound while still civilized off boost.

If you are looking to **** people off I have a nice dansk 100cell cat and swans neck that will bolt up to the turbo and will rattle peoples cages. Power I could tell was up from what I am currently seeing with the other mods but was too loud for my area and I was too concerned that cops would pull me over. I never dynoed it. You can also change your intake or modify your air box to allow more air flow which will increase sound.

If you are interested in these parts let me know I am selling them.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:40 PM
mmporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you to everyone for all the advice. The turbo came with a few custom-made pipes so I am going to see if I can mount those later this week. It should make it sound nice and loud. They have been polished since these pictures were taken.
Attached Images  
Old 08-04-2014, 08:41 PM
mmporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also, what is the recommended BOV for a 3.3?
Old 08-04-2014, 08:47 PM
Sharker
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The previous owner put a Forge BOV on mine when he was upgrading everything
Old 08-05-2014, 02:24 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
If you are looking to **** people off I have a nice dansk 100cell cat and swans neck that will bolt up to the turbo and will rattle peoples cages.
Anthony, is this a 965 specific part?

Re: swan's neck, is that some pseudo "S" shaped pipe that mates to the factory 965 muffler or simply vents to atmosphere? Would you happen to have a photo of this exhaust?
Old 08-05-2014, 10:38 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,302 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by mel_t_vin
Anthony, is this a 965 specific part?

Re: swan's neck, is that some pseudo "S" shaped pipe that mates to the factory 965 muffler or simply vents to atmosphere? Would you happen to have a photo of this exhaust?
PM sent

Quick Reply: New 964 Turbo Owner with a couple ?s