What suspension on Turbo S?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 04:51 AM
charge
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What suspension on Turbo S?

Hi all.

I haven't been on here much, but with such model specific forums have found a river of knowledge and camaraderie, that I was hoping to tap into with one of the issues I have with my car.
It is a horizon blue '91 3.3 turbo which James E converted to flat nose and twin turbo back in 2010-'11 (build thread - https://rennlist.com/forums/964-turb...-progress.html )
Long story short, James had a very specific requirement, which as to go as fast as possible at the Vmax event in the UK, and built probably one of the fasted air cooled cars on the road here.
Down side is the huge turbo's lag like nothing else (think no boost before 5,000rpm!) and a rock hard suspension. This makes the car a BIG handful on anything but a smooth circuit, which I am not finding any time to get to.
The turbo's are going to be re-sized with some modern ball bearing types soon, but I wish to fit some more road compliant suspension too.
It currently has some bespoke KW setup with adjustable everything, but it is just HARD as in will hop of the road in double bump situations. It has adjustable spring seats and is set at a sensible height, around 3.6 turbo levels.
Can anyone recommend a great, compliant road set up that will have the car at turbo S height. I know I could probably go to Porsche, but there are some great modern setups that are probably better and a whole lot cheaper than original turbo S.

Any help would be appreciated!
Old 03-24-2014, 11:07 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 430 Likes on 310 Posts

Congratulations on acquiring a very unique build.
I can't recommend a coilover set for you (others will chime in, I'm sure) but make sure that whatever you buy that the body of the shock is threaded right down to the line retention ears. Then you can get even lower than RS height if you desire.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:27 PM
Flachbau
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by charge

Any help would be appreciated!
Sport Bilsteins w/ H&R springs ... adjustable, low cost, effective.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:14 PM
charge
Track Day

Cheers Flachbau, that sounds easy. Thanks for the info.

Do you know the car / James, what with your name and all?
Old 03-24-2014, 03:42 PM
Flachbau
Burning Brakes

Yes I helped him with some of the details of the car - particularly getting the front quarter panels correct.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:06 PM
rstarga
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

As a contrarian I went with Koni FSD shocks and Eibach sport Springs. Sporty but not harsh. If your roads are rippled or bumpy I highly recommend this setup. I'm at 145mm ride height which is lower than stock but high enough as to not worry about most driveway entrances.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:54 PM
Flachbau
Burning Brakes

btw I forgot to mention that the suspension on the 3.6 Turbo S is the same as the 3.6 Turbo so maybe you could find someones take offs if you want stock.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:00 PM
charge
Track Day

That surprises me, as pics i have seen of turbo S's look around an inch lower than the 3.6's.
I am waiting on a quote on the bilies and h&r's on your advice.
Cheers
Old 03-28-2014, 06:54 PM
Flachbau
Burning Brakes

US and ROW are different but not between 1994 Turbo models. US looks like a truck ... ROW is just right IMO. Adrian's book has a pretty good treatise on the subject ... although I have found some difference in factory spring codes (paint markings) from his.

If I were doing it again I would also seriously consider KW Variant 1 Coilover System for a little more $$.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:18 PM
charge
Track Day

Had a good flick through Adrians book in the bath tonight.
He does state the turbo s ride heights as comparable to the RS and around 40mm lower than the standard turbo (RoW). Ordered the Bilsteins and H&r's last week so should be nice to see how the ride improves over the hybrid KW clubsports that James had fitted, and to have a nice ride height that does not affect compliance.
About time too, as last weekend I swear the thing was going to kill me, twice in half mile! Any sort of small bump plus power = bunny hopping wheelspin which quickly gets out of hand! Must remember to wear my brown safety pants next time I go out in it!

Quick Reply: What suspension on Turbo S?