Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Anyone Running Bilstein With Red H&R Lowering Springs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 08:44 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by e6tme
Yeah, I concur. I run the lowest ride height, which is essentially RS spec, with a proper corner balance.
It's really hard to judge by pictures what is and isn't RS height. The only way to know with certainty is to measure at the specified measuring points. I'm within 1 mm of the RS spec with 1/2 tank of gas and my weight in the drivers seat.The rear looks too high in this picture because the driveway is not level.
Attached Images  
Old 02-21-2014, 08:58 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,251 Posts

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
It's really hard to judge by pictures what is and isn't RS height. The only way to know with certainty is to measure at the specified measuring points. I'm within 1 mm of the RS spec with 1/2 tank of gas and my weight in the drivers seat.The rear looks too high in this picture because the driveway is not level.
That really is a nice color. A friends neighbor owned one in Pompton Lakes NJ many years back I think that is the only other one I have seen like it. Does this mean it is up and running or was this before the project?
Old 02-21-2014, 01:46 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
Does this mean it is up and running or was this before the project?
That picture is from two years ago. Slate Gray Metallic is one of those 90's colors that looks it's best on an overcast day.
I had it running in November but I had to drop the engine again to install a stronger clutch. That's done but I'm doing some other small jobs while it's out.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:52 PM
rstarga
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

It doesn't make much sense to spend so much on a suspension and not do a corner balance.
It should be done anytime there is a ride height change, shock change, spring change.
Before aligning.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:16 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rstarga
It doesn't make much sense to spend so much on a suspension and not do a corner balance.
It should be done anytime there is a ride height change, shock change, spring change.
Before aligning.
If you track a car that your driving at the absolute limit, I would agree. For the street where your only driving at 6/10th, it's not necessary and possibly a waste of money. The handling limits of a Turbo are so high that they cannot be safely explored on the street.

Last edited by Metal Guru; 02-21-2014 at 11:31 PM.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:30 AM
JRRSA
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

The first picture was as low as I could go with the Bilstein and H&R reds. Ran out of thread. I have since switched to H&R cup and I am currently running RS height about 20 mm lower.
Looks great. Do you have spacers in the front?
Old 02-22-2014, 08:14 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JRossRSA
Looks great. Do you have spacers in the front?
No spacers. These are the factory speedlines too. I am running a little negative camber all around. Handling is far better than stock. I find the corner balancing made a significant improvement.

Out of the box I find the C2's handled better than the turbo in stock form. The rear trailing arms were not the best design and IMO they would have been better with the narrow body arms on these cars. It took a lot of effort to make my turbo handle shall we say as comfortably as the C2. The turbo did not install the confidence in the turns as the C2 does until I sourced adjustable sways which are very hard to come by for the wide body cars. I have seen some like the white C4 I pictured attempt to use narrow body sways on a wide body which in the case of that car proved to be a huge mistake.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:13 PM
Bernard
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rstarga
Before aligning.
My car might see 300 miles a years and I don't track it either.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:11 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bernard
My car might see 300 miles a years and I don't track it either.
Mine either lately, but it is only a couple hundred $$ tops and it will improve the overall feel.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:52 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Mine either lately, but it is only a couple hundred $$ tops and it will improve the overall feel.
It's like half mooning cylinders and boat tailing main bearing webs as part of an engine rebuild. It's a nice "while your in there" thing to do but might not be all that cost effective.
In my case, I prefer to do my own ride height settings and alignments but I don't own scales. I feel that I take a lot more time aligning my car than a shop would and if you rank influence on handling to ride height, alignment and corner balancing on performance, alignment is #1,2, 3 and 4 in importance with corner balancing coming in at #10. Depending on your driving skill, a corner balance could be something you might feel but a bad alignment can even be felt by a novice.

Last edited by Metal Guru; 02-23-2014 at 10:33 AM.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:02 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

It's like half mooning cylinders and boat tailing main bearing webs as part of an engine rebuild. It's a nice "while your in there" thing to do but might not be all that cost effective.
In my case, I prefer to do my own ride height settings and alignments but I don't own scales. I feel that I take a lot more time aligning my car than a shop would and if you rank influence on handling to ride height, alignment and corner balancing on performance, alignment is #1,2, 3 and 4 in importance with corner balancing coming in at #10. Depending on your driving skill, a corner balance could be something you might feel but a bad alignment can even be felt by a novice.
Understood, although not many do their own suspension tuning. If your having the work done at <1% of the cost of the suspension I think it is worth considering. Balance has its pluses in both handling and braking.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:05 PM
JRRSA
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

No spacers. These are the factory speedlines too. I am running a little negative camber all around. Handling is far better than stock. I find the corner balancing made a significant improvement.

Out of the box I find the C2's handled better than the turbo in stock form. The rear trailing arms were not the best design and IMO they would have been better with the narrow body arms on these cars. It took a lot of effort to make my turbo handle shall we say as comfortably as the C2. The turbo did not install the confidence in the turns as the C2 does until I sourced adjustable sways which are very hard to come by for the wide body cars. I have seen some like the white C4 I pictured attempt to use narrow body sways on a wide body which in the case of that car proved to be a huge mistake.
I agree with you. I am running Bilstein HD with HR Reds with factory Speedlines. I had it corner balanced and aligned when they were installed. Handles great.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:50 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Understood, although not many do their own suspension tuning. If your having the work done at <1% of the cost of the suspension I think it is worth considering. Balance has its pluses in both handling and braking.
I see your point. If you have to write the check, the $200 is kind of a moot point.
The PO of my car had H&R coilovers fitted before I bought it. The alignment was incredibly bad. I'll bet it wasn't corner balanced but the real issue was, besides a painful ride due to slammed ride height, was that the car violently pulled to the right when the boost hit. Made the car feel fast but was a little unsettling, to say the least. I traced the problem to the rear alignment; 0 degrees toe at the right rear wheel and + 30 minutes at the left (spec is + 15 minutes per side with a max difference of 10 minutes). Fixing the rear end and raising the ride height to RS spec fixed the issues. The handling limit of a widebody 911 are sufficiently high that I've never had the opportunity to explore them on the street but the car does whatever I ask of it without drama so I'm satisfied.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:29 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

I traced the problem to the rear alignment; 0 degrees toe at the right rear wheel and + 30 minutes at the left (spec is + 15 minutes per side with a max difference of 10 minutes). .

Old 03-22-2014, 07:59 PM
Bernard
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got a chance to install the front coilovers today. I have them turned all the way down. It sits 25" from the garage floor to center of the fender. I know it will settle over time.

Still waiting on getting my RH 3.6L wheels back from the shop.

I'm going to try to install the rears next weekend.

I also painted the front calipers.

Quick Reply: Anyone Running Bilstein With Red H&R Lowering Springs?