Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Are all Recaro PP seats the same?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 12:57 PM
DK964T
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be been wanting to get some recaro pole position seats. However, I've been hesitant bc they don't look that practical and hard to get in and out. The pic below seems like the side wall of the seat is lower and easier to get into. The shoulder area seems to be a more practical and not squeezing them together so much. Can anyone testify to this? Who has recaro PP seats? Can you give me your opinion on them? I figured since I only drive my car maybe 1-2 a week it should be fine but would like some input from someone that has them Do these look different? Name:  image-3468147481.jpg
Views: 2615
Size:  436.1 KB
Attached Images  
Old 09-29-2013, 01:31 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

The top picture are of seats that appear to be the Speedster/RS seats that Recaro made for Porsche. They are rare and expensive and aren't quite as deep as PP's. The position of the lap belt slot is higher on the PP relative to the side bolster top than on the Speedster seats. Also, the bolster on the Speedster seats has more sweep than on the PP's. I suspect that Porsche insisted on that shape to ease entry/exit.
My understanding is that PP's come in two widths. As I don't find a 911 of our vintage very comfortable anyway, a PP style seat wouldn't make things much worse unless you were going to take a 4-5 hour trip in your car. I've sat in them and they're snug (I wear a size 43 jacket) but I've never driven a car with them. The rear seats become virtually inaccessible with those fixed back seats.
PP's look cool and they are crazy light.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:00 PM
DK964T
Instructor

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
The top picture are of seats that appear to be the Speedster/RS seats that Recaro made for Porsche. They are rare and expensive and aren't quite as deep as PP's. The position of the lap belt slot is higher on the PP relative to the side bolster top than on the Speedster seats. Also, the bolster on the Speedster seats has more sweep than on the PP's. I suspect that Porsche insisted on that shape to ease entry/exit. My understanding is that PP's come in two widths. As I don't find a 911 of our vintage very comfortable anyway, a PP style seat wouldn't make things much worse unless you were going to take a 4-5 hour trip in your car. I've sat in them and they're snug (I wear a size 43 jacket) but I've never driven a car with them. The rear seats become virtually inaccessible with those fixed back seats. PP's look cool and they are crazy light.
You're right on the first pic. That's some sort of special edition 964. So is there a way to get replicas of the first pic? They seem much more easy to get in and out of and not so tight around the shoulders
Old 09-29-2013, 03:00 PM
jim dorociak
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought some hard back sport seats years ago that look like Pole Position seats, but have a more generous seat width area. There are no stickers or labels so I do not know the manufacturer nor the dates so these would not work for track use. They were just recovered in new red leather when I bought them, but since it is new they could be dyed another color. I am asking $1100 for the pair. I have the metal attachment brackets but not the manual sliders. These have been installed in a 993. jdorociak@gmail.com
jim
Attached Images    
Old 09-29-2013, 04:04 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DK964T
You're right on the first pic. That's some sort of special edition 964. So is there a way to get replicas of the first pic? They seem much more easy to get in and out of and not so tight around the shoulders
Turns out Recaro farmed the production of the Speedster seats out: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...aro-seats.html

More news here: http://carrerars.wordpress.com/2010/...contact-point/

Man, I'd just be happy with a pair of sport seats
Old 09-29-2013, 04:21 PM
DK964T
Instructor

Turns out Recaro farmed the production of the Speedster seats out: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...aro-seats.html More news here: http://carrerars.wordpress.com/2010/...contact-point/ Man, I'd just be happy with a pair of sport seats
Thanks for the info. I guess I'll keep the stock ones for now
Old 09-29-2013, 04:25 PM
Doc V.
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I've used Recaro Pole Position and SPG seats on a number of occasions.
Access to the back seats will be limited if you install the Pole Positions (or the SPGs or any fixed hard-back seat, for that matter).

Last edited by Doc V.; 10-19-2013 at 05:14 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:25 PM
MeanMachine
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc V.
I've used Recaro Pole Position and SPG seats on a number of occasions.
Access to the back seats will be limited if you install the Pole Positions (or the SPGs or any fixed hard-back seat, for that matter).
very sophisticated smart look, any more pictures and price ?

I would like to install that on my Turbo 3.6. where can I get a fire extinguisher mount ?
Old 09-29-2013, 07:45 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Man, I'd just be happy with a pair of sport seats
They are very comfortable seats, although track work starts to show their weaknesses when really pushing it. That said, I push the 996TT and 964 C4 on the track, not the Turbo 3.6
Old 09-30-2013, 03:18 AM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

How much weight saving is there with these seats ?
Old 09-30-2013, 09:24 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

The threads I was looking at said the PP's were 7.5 kg (16.5 lb for us non-believers ). Having had my comfort seats in and out of the car, I'd estimate they weight something like 25 lb. If you gutted the interior and installed PP, you might save 50 lb, I'd imagine.

Quick Reply: Are all Recaro PP seats the same?