Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

What got you in getting a 964 Turbo, share your story ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 12:01 AM
MeanMachine
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What got you in getting a 964 Turbo, share your story ?

Hello Guys,

I would really like to know your stories to the 964 Turbo,What got you in to owning one, is the car something you've lusted for 10+ years or it was just something of the moment ?

I personally have lusted for a Turbo 3.6 for the past 19 years, I really like the car because many of the styling attributes looked right. I always imagine a porsche with the 930-esque single rear light, more updated wheel and the classic spoiler would work. As a kid I remember my uncle passing by our home and take me out in his 89 911 Turbo (U.S spec, non metallic black with grey interior) for Ice-Cream or arcade. It was a dear memory and I remember the day like it was yesterday, he would really let her rip and imagine being a kid and experiencing the violent Turbo was really something special.

In the 90's the F355 was the special one in my heart but today its much different, I guess its an evolutional thing because the F355 doesn't look as good as the 964 Turbo because Porsche is an evolutionary design rather than something fresh "F355>360 Modena" transition. The BadBoys movie also comes to play in affect, it was nice seeing Will Smith who I admired in the Fresh Prince of Bel Air driving the Turbo 3.6 with Martin Lawrence also another movie actor which I really respected. The movie was great with the action and really the Turbo 3.6 really stood out as a movie car or a star in the movie "think Eleanor in Gone in 60 Seconds".

Since 1995 I had a vision that someday I would work hard set some goals, prioritise things and achieve some of the dreams one being a Rolex Daytona SS and a Turbo 3.6 which came much later. To be honest I lost some track and started opening my eyes to the new models, I don't know what got me but last October I was going to the beach house to meet some friends for BBQ and a friend of mine picked me up along the way and he had a 90's playlist of nice tracks and here comes "Haddaway - What is Love" and I told him wouldn't it be nice if we were listening to this song in a 90's super car, he said yes and here comes some of our favourite car F40, F1 Mclaren, F355 and he said whats special is the Turbo 3.6 from BadBoys and I start remembering it and told him the last time I saw one was in 2005 where a Red / Beige was sold for $50,000 locally and then the search started for one and luckily enough I got my hands on a U.S spec black/black with the polished wheels which was the top of the holy grail for me.

After I picked up the car I called my friend and told him that I would pick him up and go for coffee since its the weekend and he see's the Turbo 3.6 and is lost for words. For nostalgic reason I put some of our favourite "teenage" day tracks and he was really enjoyed it and was quiet astonished by the cars performance saying its more than fast for todays standards. That day was amazing and the weather was in the high 10 degrees C perfect fall day in the middle east, he told me it was one of his most cherished days.

Its funny that 19 years ago one would doodle his favourite car in class and day dream in math class and now I have my very own car. To be honest I should of gotten this car 8 years earlier when they were more affordable unfortunately my first nice car was a Cayenne S which I hated after the second year of ownership.

The joy of owning a car like this is also due to it being a limited production car of 1,407 and mine being "993 Black" code L741 is an added bonus with the Porsche Exclusive options such as Porsche Crest embossed on the seats. The car is really special and is a drivers car, its the most menacing Porsche 911 Turbo to be ever created its a manual gearbox, no traction control and single turbo. It is the last real Turbo "single turbo, rwd"
I am very thankful and humble for owning this car, I could careless if I ever owned my no1 car which is an F40 because at the end of the day I am a realist. I plan to drive the wheels of my Turbo 3.6.

Last edited by MeanMachine; 06-17-2013 at 12:29 AM.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:26 AM
S7AR
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great story! what a beautiful car.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:21 AM
keynes
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I got this feeling a couple years ago. Probably the customary mid life crisis. But I knew I had to get a car. The desire started to burn in my mind relentlessly. I looked and looked and nothing jumped out at me screaming "I am THE car!". I liked and owned a string BMWs including a couple M3s, but this car had to be special.
NSX seemed like a good candidate for a while. Even a Viper. Porsche did not spring to mind as I owned a 924 and a 944 when I was younger and I wanted a lot more power, refined power not just a blower on a 5.0 mustang. I thought maybe an older Ferrari but they surged out of reach pricewise in the last few years. Mustangs were too common, even the cobras. Lotus seemed underpowered. Corvette, well, there are hundreds here in my small town. American muscle might do the trick but has to be understated and classy.
A year into this I find myself looking at several forums and maybe 20 bookmarked dealer pages, every single night. So one day the dark car oriented area in the back of my brain spoke "..911.."
This began a new frenzy, new bookmarks, new research. 2002-2004 turbo was going to be it!
Lots of bang for the buck, but a little bland looking. However the dark area had me looking at 964s online more and more often. So the search continued but it had a new purpose: 964 turbo.

So the 2 year odyssey ended when I looked at a dealer web site 1,300 miles away and the dark area yelled at me "this is THE car". Which, in the end made my decision easy to make.

This site and the hundreds of member posts I read were very helpful and I appreciate so much the knowledge and wisdom I was able to soak up. Including feedback on the very car I ended up buying:

Old 06-17-2013, 08:05 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

I always wanted a 911 since college but I also have a passion for fast GT cars. After owning 2 Corvettes (I restored the last one I owned; a 1970 big-block coupe) I pulled the trigger on a 911SC. Great car but not fast enough. I knew that the answer was a 93,0 or so I thought.
I happened to see a issue on the 1993 Turbo S on the cover of "911 and Porsche World" one day not long after I had sold the SC and I knew I had found the Turbo that would satisfy me.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:25 AM
V
Rennlist Member

Great story, thanks for sharing
Old 06-17-2013, 06:38 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,053 Likes on 1,233 Posts

I always loved Porsche's and have owned one or another since 1977 starting with a 71 E. After several SC's and other models I owned a 1979 SC that was converted into a 74 RS clone using all factory IROC parts. It was my main Porsche for 19 years. I purchased it in Zug Switzerland in 1984 and I loved the simple bumpers without the look of the standard aluminum bumpers with bellows which always looked like a fast add on remedy to the US bumper standards to me.

In 1991 I received a press release from Porsche introducing the 964 turbo and instantly fell in love with the clean lines and subtle differences over the 930 which I was never a huge fan of. A friends father purchased a 91 in black metallic and again I was smitten. In 1994 our local PCA region hosted the Zone one concours event and there was a brand new white 3.6 T sandwiched between a black 3.8RSR and a 3.3 964 Turbo. Although the 3.8RSR was my immediate favorite although useless for the street so the 3.6T just clicked and suddenly my interests were focused on the 3.6T vs the 3.3T. After seeing the movie Bad Boys it just became more of a focus to own one one day. I still say it is the sexiest air cold street Porsche ever built.

It was my wife that pushed me to find one since she hated my 74 RS clone (although looking back that car was one I should have kept and was equally as nice in its own right) My son was at the age we needed a car we could fit him in the back of and the 74 clone was as far from a family weekend car as you can get. So I set my sights on finding one with the stipulation it could not be black since my 74 clone was and all I seemed to do was polish it which I feel sparked some jealousy.

After nearly a year of searching and finding what seemed like a hundred black red and white ones I stumbled upon the cobalt car only to find I just missed it after talking to the PO for nearly two hours before he informed me it was sold. So the search continued, ironically my persistence paid off and a few months later after spending 5 hours searching the internet until my eyes were bleeding and I told my self if I don't find one tonight I will end my search I stumbled upon the same car. It had just been listed at 1 AM my time and I was the first to respond to the ad the next day. I was lucky that the new owner financed the car and after putting thousands into it he realized he was in over his head. I found a very competent shop in CA who looked the car over for me and said although it had over 20k miles on it he would swear it was fresh off the showroom floor and if I didn't buy it he was going to.

The rest is history.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:45 PM
MeanMachine
Three Wheelin'

Great story guys.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:54 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,053 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by MeanMachine

I am curious about your car. It looks like one I looked at when I was searching for mine. Are these exhaust tips the same? This car had similar options and although they look painted the wheels were polished. I believe you said yours was a US export? It would be interesting to know if these are one in the same. I almost pulled the trigger on this one but was too slow to the draw. This photo is from 2001
Attached Images  
Old 06-17-2013, 07:14 PM
MeanMachine
Three Wheelin'

Mine is a U.S export and it was last in Pennsylvania in 2009. I haven't changed much I just got the porsche classic head unit, new tequipment floormats instead of the ugly lloyds one it had with Turbo in red script.

It could be mine, you could tell me what was its VIN or have more pictures of the interior perhaps , location ?
Old 06-22-2013, 07:41 PM
cash92104
Rennlist Member

I suppose my story is similar to yours. I always liked these cars growing up (who didnt?) but never imagined that I'd actually own one. Two years ago I found myself wanting to get rid of my Subaru and realized the 996 Turbo's were right in my price range, $35k-$45k. Unfamiliar with owning a Porsche I began to do my research, wondering why a car that retails at over $100k was depreciating so fast. As I read about the 996 Turbo I was reminded of the 90's era turbos and, just for kicks, decided to see what the market was like for an almost 20 year old 964 Turbo (3.3). As it turns out the price range was about the same and within two or three months I was able to find a black/black 1992 Turbo w/ 44k miles. I was able to negotiate the price down a bit to $40k (December 2010) and agreed to the purchase sight unseen. One of the best purchases I've ever made!
Old 06-22-2013, 07:54 PM
MeanMachine
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cash92104
I suppose my story is similar to yours. I always liked these cars growing up (who didnt?) but never imagined that I'd actually own one. Two years ago I found myself wanting to get rid of my Subaru and realized the 996 Turbo's were right in my price range, $35k-$45k. Unfamiliar with owning a Porsche I began to do my research, wondering why a car that retails at over $100k was depreciating so fast. As I read about the 996 Turbo I was reminded of the 90's era turbos and, just for kicks, decided to see what the market was like for an almost 20 year old 964 Turbo (3.3). As it turns out the price range was about the same and within two or three months I was able to find a black/black 1992 Turbo w/ 44k miles. I was able to negotiate the price down a bit to $40k (December 2010) and agreed to the purchase sight unseen. One of the best purchases I've ever made!
Thats a great story, the design was very iconic and really made you lust for one. There arent many cars that made it like pop culture think 964 Turbo's, Countach and Testarossa's. I've been thinking of picking up a 512TR or Testarossa along with a Scuderia (my future target/goal).I just picked up a Turbo 3.6 in 8 months ago and need to keep spending low in the next couple of years and focus on my business/personal goals. I've changed a lot of stuff on my car which ended up costing 27K, hopefully now it will outlast 10 years of use. New brake pads, discs, flywheel, clutch, new turbo, complete rebuild, WUR etc etc.

Last edited by MeanMachine; 06-22-2013 at 08:14 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:46 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 184 Posts

For some reason, as a child I was always into cars and started collecting dinky's (match boxes) when I was only 7-8 years old.

The cars that caught my attention were a Dino Ferrari, a Countach and a car with a flared fenders and a whale tail

Once I saw a poster of a rear end of a Porsche 930 Turbo in '81/'82, that was it.

The release of " No Man's Land" in mid 80's made things even worse and to say I was obsessed with the car would be an under statement.

In mid 90's I was able to make it to US and promised myself that I would buy a 930 Turbo with in 10 years.

In late 90's I started reading up on these cars and finally in 2002/3, seven years later, I bought my dream/child hood Poster car, a '91 964 Turbo.

It's unreal, how strong the desire was and the force behind it, that it made me work hard during the medical school days and after, and eventually made me move to this country.

There's no way, I am parting with this car

In the clip below, and to this day, I still can not forget the excitement when Charlie Sheen says at 9:09 minutes " Come on, Go, Go, Go, Come on .....and the chase is on ....

Last edited by C2 Turbo; 06-22-2013 at 10:12 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:54 PM
MeanMachine
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by C2 Turbo
For some reason, as a child I was always into cars and started collecting dinky's (match boxes) when I was only 7-8 years old.

The cars that caught my attention was a Countach and a car with a flared fenders and a whale tail

Once I saw a poster of a rear end of a Porsche 930 Turbo in '81/'82, that was it.

The release of " No Man's Land" in mid 80's made things even worse and to say I was obsessed with the car would be an under statement.

In mid 90's I was able to make it to US and promised myself that I would buy a 930 Turbo with in 10 years.

In late 90's I started reading up on these cars and finally in 2002/3, seven years later, I bought my dream/child hood Poster car, a '91 964 Turbo.

It's unreal, how strong the desire was and the force behind it, that it made me work hard during the medical school days and after, and eventually made me move to this country.

There's no way, I am parting with this car
What is life without a Passion ? I salute you and hope you have many more accomplishments in life with a very prosperous health and many more years to enjoy.

Quick Reply: What got you in getting a 964 Turbo, share your story ?