964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Windshield washers

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 05:30 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Received 110 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Windshield washers

Having bought the car out of AZ - I think the wipers and washer rarely got used. On the drive home (from AZ to CO) the windshield washers dribbled a little fluid - but very inadequate. Now nothing. No fluid coming out of the rear either. Even when I press the "Intensive Wash" - nothing. Odd set of controls for this whole system - LOL.

Both reservoirs full.

I had pulled the driver side pump and touched a 9V battery to it - the motor ran - but frankly I don't know if it was enough to pump the fluid. I could just tell it wasn't seized.

What is the common failure point of these systems? Is it the pumps? Weird that both would be inop? If so are people trying the $16 pumps from your FLAPS or going with $65 OEM? Or do the water lines break inside the vehicle - somewhere buried deep and very inconvenient?

Thanks-

Brandon
'91 911 Turbo
'01 Audi S4
Old 03-12-2013, 10:54 AM
mmm951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Chances are the car has been waxed many times in it's life and has built up in the washer nozzles. Try using a paper clip or needle and clean out the washer nozzles and see if that helps.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:34 PM
Max964t36
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 43 Posts

Had the same problem, had to change both nozzles (they both failed almost at the same time and suddenly) ...
Old 03-13-2013, 12:47 AM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

_Change_ the nozzles - interesting. I have poked at them with a safety pin - no joy.
What about nothing coming out of the rear nozzle? I'm thinking I'll have to have the wifey push the buttons and pull the levers and all that good stuff and I'll see if the pumps activate, too.

Thanks, guys.

Brandon
'91 911 Turbo
'01 Audi S4

Last edited by urquattro20Vt; 06-16-2013 at 11:21 PM.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:57 AM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Ok I have not replaced any parts yet but did a little testing with the help of the wifey.
Results:
- pull on the wiper stalk - wipers run but the pump does not run (and hence no fluid)
- press rear wiper switch - rear wiper actuates, the pump vibrates - but no fluid comes out the rear
- press intensive wash - the pump vibrates - wipers run, but no fluid comes out anywhere - windshield or headlamp washers.

Bizarre if you ask me. The fact the pump doesn't even vibrate when I pull the stalk is what concerns me most - bad stalk wiring?? I really hope not. Is this common? I guess I should now disconnect the hoses from the pumps and re-test and see if the pumps are actually trying to pump or just flailing away - broken impeller or something??? Also odd that no water comes out anywhere when the system has two separate pumps - you'd think ONE would still work...

Any thoughts appreciated-
Old 06-16-2013, 11:31 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

OK - did more testing and more research. So I guess these cars have _THREE_ washer reservoirs!! News to me. So all my pumps _do_ activate. But fluid comes out NOWHERE - well except I go the passenger side headlight washer to squirt. Previosu owner had the car for 7 years in AZ and said he never used the washers.

So I'm thinking the one-way valves are the culprit. That should be a fun little job to replace them. Thoughts? I really don't think its the nozzles - they look real clean. That said - do you remove them by pushing towards the front of the car then lifting up from the back? Read that somewhere...

I searched for a bit but haven't come across an exploded view of the rear wiper system. Can somebody confirm the small reservoir on driver side (LHD) is for the rear wiper only? When I disconnect the line it pumps just fine - but when I re-connect - nothing comes out the nozzle above the rear window? I've poked it a few times - nothing yet. No water inside the cabin either. Ideas?

Anybody know if the one way valves are Porsche/dealer only? or?

TIA-
Old 06-24-2013, 01:13 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Well I'm still not totally sure what the issue is/was - the only check valve I really inspected I could blow through in both directions. But regardless I decided to bypass the intensive wash for now - simplify the system. Going to empty the reservoir and plug the end of the line - and just run a single line from the main pump. Can always re-install that system later... I did determine the main pump was weak - installed a new one over the weekend - not a big deal at all - worst part was getting the line off the headlight washer pump - since there's no room/visibility to wrestle with the crimp clamp. Once I got that off I used a normal hose clamp which made re-installing the reservoir a snap. Overall the job was pretty easy - just a lot more involved than many cars where you can literally pop the hood, see the reservoir, pull the pump out and replace it. Oh well. I have good pressure now - just need to plumb the lines tonight.

Still a mystery as to why no fluid coming out the rear washer...I'll save that for another time tho...
Old 07-03-2013, 12:18 PM
San56dra
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Read that somewhere...

Quick Reply: Windshield washers