964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Stock headers didn't come off without a fight

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 12:46 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stock headers didn't come off without a fight

No matter what I did they ended up snapping the studs. They all snapped clean with the top of the header flange so there is enough meat left to remove from the heads without drilling. From the looks of it the headers were never once remove during the life of the car.

Next step is dissasembly! So much easier the second time around (did the same thing to my 993tt motor last winter)

Old 01-29-2013, 06:07 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 430 Likes on 310 Posts

Do you have an oxy-acetelene set-up? If you do, you could have removed every one of those nuts and never have broke a stud.
If that was my car I'd cut the broken studs off flush with the head, buy a drill guide and drill them all out. It will be a lot faster job than dealing with those stubs.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:34 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
Do you have an oxy-acetelene set-up? If you do, you could have removed every one of those nuts and never have broke a stud.
If that was my car I'd cut the broken studs off flush with the head, buy a drill guide and drill them all out. It will be a lot faster job than dealing with those stubs.
I do not have a oxy-acetelene but it would have been nice. Nothing very fancy tool wise in my garage. Getting the broken studs out is easy with the headers off. I'd rather not risk drilling into the heads even with the right equipment!
Old 01-29-2013, 07:17 PM
jpc fabrication
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just removed mine with great success. Not one broken stud could not believe it. I have a 3.0L and 4 of the studs were so rust they broke. Check out stomski racing the have a great tool to line up the studs and drill the broken stud out.

Good luck
Old 01-29-2013, 09:27 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jpc fabrication
I just removed mine with great success. Not one broken stud could not believe it. I have a 3.0L and 4 of the studs were so rust they broke. Check out stomski racing the have a great tool to line up the studs and drill the broken stud out.

Good luck
Yeah this was the worst I've ever seen. Already got all the studs out successfully and now it's on to the next step....

Quick Reply: Stock headers didn't come off without a fight