Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Vacuum "switch-over valve" question.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 10:27 PM
H2O LOL
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Vacuum "switch-over valve" question.

I don't have any of the smog stuff on the car but this #8 valve is still hooked up. It has vacuum being pulled but goes to nothing. There is two wires hooked up to this valve and I'm not sure their purpose. Anyone have some insight on this #8 switch-over valve? I'm wanting to just remove it all together.
Attached Images  
Old 01-28-2013, 11:07 PM
mapolus
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm sorry I have absolutely nothing to contribute to the conversation, but was wondering if that is an electronic copy of the workshop manuals? I'm not looking for a free copy, but am happy to pay a legitimate source if you have any suggestions or can point me in the right direction. Again, sorry to hijack the thread...Thanks!

Matt

Last edited by mapolus; 01-29-2013 at 08:25 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:14 AM
H2O LOL
Pro

You mother trucker! You come in here hijacking my thread which set off my notifications , leading me to assume there was an answer to my question, only to find out that its just some wanna-be 965 owner who's never even farted in "his" car! J/k. I can neither confirm or deny where I got those pictures from but I can tell you that you can buy a disk on e-bay for <$10. Not sure if its the same. I tried to get the real deal but only found a incomplete set or a $500 turbo add-on 3pc set.

Back on topic, I decided to just unhook and if it trips a CEL I will plug it back in and hook some vacuum up to it. If this does trip a CEL will I have to clear it via a hammer, pull the battery, or will it just shut off when it's been corrected? I've never quite understood the CEL faults and procedures.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:27 AM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

I'm sorry I have no idea either. Just wanted to trip your notifications :-)

What are [interzwebz] friends for?

But I thought we determined we have no CEL in these cars since we don't even have an ECU, no? I'd just make sure you don't have any loose vacuum ends causing a leak in the system. (obviously..)

Brandon
'91 911 Turbo
'01 Audi S4
Old 01-30-2013, 02:30 AM
grantd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have also removed all the smog pump kit, and I mean everything must be around 3- 4kilos weight saving. This change over (8) valve can be removed however you need to blank of the vacuum source which is at the base of the throttle body. Just use the existing vacuum tube and use on one of the plastic "t" junctions to loop it back on itself. The wires can just be made safe and then disconnected they simply provide for the solenoid switch over after warm up. Remove all the one way valves and associated fat rubber pipelines that run along the top of the alternator fan assembly. Then blank of the dump pipe into your exhaust muffler. Last step cut the drive belt that used to drive the smog pump and retrieve.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:04 AM
H2O LOL
Pro

Done. Grantd, I like the loop around idea since I didn't have enough adapters it worked out perfect, thanks!
As for the CEL I assumed that the sensor leads on the #8 lead would be to trip the CEL or lead to some notification that the smog system was inept. I've never heard of a cel light being tripped on our cars so I'm not sure what I was expecting to come on.

Quick Reply: Vacuum "switch-over valve" question.