964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

'91 Restoration/Mod Finally Underway...

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 05:57 PM
mmm951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default '91 Restoration/Mod Finally Underway...

Been busy with other cars lately, but I finally got a chance to put the 964 on the lift and begin the dismantling process. Unfortunately, my car has a Strosek kit and in the process of going back to stock. I have been waiting 8 months for Porsche Classic to finish manufacturing my new front fenders. One has been completed and shipped to the states, and still waiting on the other.

I will keep you updated as I go along. I have many more pics, but not enough time or space to upload them all. Here are a few..

Old 01-25-2013, 07:09 PM
SPDADCT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice project, are you going back to bone stock 91 or making some changes?
Old 01-25-2013, 07:19 PM
mmm951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SPDADCT
Nice project, are you going back to bone stock 91 or making some changes?
Mainly the exterior, minus the 930 wing and moidifed lights with HID. will be stock. The interior will be updated with new carpet and updated aluminum pieces, as well as complete stereo system. The motor will not be stock and will remain in it's current state - will see how much power she is pulling once done. I also have a thread with the custom exhaust that will be installed as well.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:16 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

It's hard to imagine anyone feeling the need to tart up a 965 with a Strosek kit.
Keep up the good work.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:16 AM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Now that's a project. Agree with Paul, why mess with such a great factory design.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:35 PM
Boeing 717

Received 263 Likes on 158 Posts

Whoa those pics are bringing back some memories. Look foreward to the outcome. Why do you have to have porsche classic make new fenders??? Cant get them anymore??
Old 01-26-2013, 08:52 PM
Nski
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its great to see these projects where I know the the finishing product will look stunning. Keep up the good work, looking good so far.

Underneath the car looks in very good condition, in fact is it a low mileage car? and was it cheap with it being a Strotek kitted car?

Norm
Old 01-26-2013, 09:41 PM
H2O LOL
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should be very careful with that IC, they are prone to cause engine failures. Send it to me and I will send a factory orginal one to you so your cars is authentic and trouble free. PM me for my shipping address.

Fingers crossed....
Old 01-27-2013, 11:35 AM
mmm951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
It's hard to imagine anyone feeling the need to tart up a 965 with a Strosek kit.
Keep up the good work.
Originally Posted by theporscheguy
Now that's a project. Agree with Paul, why mess with such a great factory design.
I hear ya! The Strosek kit is is just plain ugly, extremely low quality, and bad design. The PO should be jailed for such a crime.

Originally Posted by Boeing 717
Whoa those pics are bringing back some memories. Look foreward to the outcome. Why do you have to have porsche classic make new fenders??? Cant get them anymore??
Fenders for the 964 are no longer available. Porsche Classic will manufacture any part needed as long as you are willing to pay the price and wait at their mercy. Each fender was $2200

Originally Posted by Nski
Its great to see these projects where I know the the finishing product will look stunning. Keep up the good work, looking good so far.

Underneath the car looks in very good condition, in fact is it a low mileage car? and was it cheap with it being a Strotek kitted car?

Norm
Thanks. Yeah, the car is not really in bad shape. I will have to drop the motor and replace the rings on cylinder 4. I believe the car has been enlarged to a 3.4 when the heads and pistons were upgraded during the build.

The interior is not really that bad, but I will replace all of the carpeting inside. The car only has 63,000 on the clock. Yes, I got a good deal at the dealership on this car as a result of a two-car trade in. The dealership would have to spend twice as much as the car was worth to get it back to original. So, I jumped on this deal. I get all of my parts at dealer cost, so that made the project more enticing.

Originally Posted by H2O LOL
You should be very careful with that IC, they are prone to cause engine failures. Send it to me and I will send a factory orginal one to you so your cars is authentic and trouble free. PM me for my shipping address.

Fingers crossed....
I'll keep that in mind!! It is always good to know someone is looking out for me, ha ha!

The motor is quite modified with Motec EFI and an MSD ignition unit. Supposedly, this car is pushing high hp, so I will wait and see when the rings are replaced and put it on a dyno. If the car goes back to stock, I will keep you in mind.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:30 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Great project! Can't you just pick up some good used front fenders? DC auto or la dismantler probably have a nice pair
Old 01-27-2013, 12:52 PM
mmm951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spartan
Great project! Can't you just pick up some good used front fenders? DC auto or la dismantler probably have a nice pair
At the time I needed them, no one had them in stock. Also, they hold a premium even though they will require much work to look new again. So, the high premium and labor that is required, the new ones sounded like a better deal.

The added bonus is that I would rather document the process since the car is not original. Having custom made fenders from Porsche Classic to restore this car back to original exterior form sounds much better than used fenders from a yard. People send cars from all over the world to Porsche Classic using their parts and labor to bring them back to factory specification, but at a hefty cost. They are worth more this way. I am using the same parts, just doing the labor myself.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:29 AM
mmm951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rear glass taken out...

Old 02-10-2013, 10:04 AM
V
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could have opted for flachbau fenders with Porsche Classic.. .

Anyways, the car looks great with any kind of fenders except Strosek
Old 02-10-2013, 10:38 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by V
...and the headlight assemblies and all the other stuff the you would need for a flatnose. Talk about scope creep....
Old 02-10-2013, 12:59 PM
mmm951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by V

Anyways, the car looks great with any kind of fenders except Strosek
In all honesty, I am not a big fan of the slant nose. The Strosek had the in-between look, but not my cup of tea. I like the classic bugeye look of the 911.

Front Strut mounts are NLA in North America. 3-4 week wait time from Germany. Suspension will be going on once all parts arrive in the next two weeks.

Quick Reply: '91 Restoration/Mod Finally Underway...