Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

964 Turbos and oil leaks (Owners please contribute)

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 11:00 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 185 Posts
Default 964 Turbos and oil leaks (Owners please contribute)

Just wondering if the oil leaks in these cars are age related or is it owner related?

I see some 964 Turbos, regardless of miles (low/high) as claming no oil leaks and yet I see low miles examples with some leaks?

Please contribute as to how many miles you have on your car and what sort of leaks you had repaired ?

Thanks
Old 01-22-2013, 11:33 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 371 Posts

My neighbour is a 'no leak' man with a 964 Cup Car. He claims it is completely dry and wouldn't own the car if it leaked oil.

My Turbo 3.6 has had drips for the entire time I've owned it [since 2001, when it was 8-years old]. The most obvious one is on the turbo oil pump gasket, but there are others that leave a small patch each time it goes out. Not sure where thay come from. I love the smell of hot oil and call it character. I suspect I'd be throwing endless dollars into stopping them if it worried me. I will repair the oil pump one, but the others can stay.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:49 AM
H2O LOL
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have any oil leaks but to be honest I kinda want one.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:54 AM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by H2O LOL
I don't have any oil leaks .
May be not right now but have they been fixed in the past?

How long have you owned the car?
Old 01-23-2013, 10:03 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I have one annoying one from the oil tank drain plug, need a new alum gasket. (930)
Old 01-23-2013, 10:30 AM
H2O LOL
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh for sure there use to be but the PO had them fixed when the motor was getting built. This car is staying with me so I'm going to help them grow and flourish over time as we grow old together. I'm sure I too will start leaking.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:13 AM
Francisco Martinez
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Totally normal with expansion and contraction of many parts put together specially with a split case. That's why a low mileage car can leak as well, leave it standing for a long time and seals start to dry and next thing you know, it leaks. Rebuilt cars if put together properly and using one of those gasket glues along with the gaskets can help and in some cases create a long time leak free car. My father has one of these somehow perfectly rebuilt cars ('77 Carrera 3.0) which has been over 18 years leak free. This car has been tracked, left standing for long periods, then friendly abused and no leaks. My T3.6 on the other hand does leak.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:36 PM
cash92104
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C2 Turbo
Just wondering if the oil leaks in these cars are age related or is it owner related?

I see some 964 Turbos, regardless of miles (low/high) as claming no oil leaks and yet I see low miles examples with some leaks?

Please contribute as to how many miles you have on your car and what sort of leaks you had repaired ?

Thanks
the leaks are a result of the design. even if you get the leaks fixed they will come back with enough use of the car. of course most of the people who own this car barely drive it so it could remain leak free for quite some time. my car had a bit of seepage when i purchased her, and i had these issues fixed but after ~20k miles or so i now have drops of oil making it to the garage floor. ill get the leaks "fixed" again at some point but im sure this is an endless cycle.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:44 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 430 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by cash92104
The leaks are a result of the design. Even if you get the leaks fixed they will come back with enough use of the car.(punctuation corrected)
Interesting statement.
Every monoblock engine that I've owned long term leaked too so I do not believe that the flat 6 design is more leak prone than anything else on the market. We notice how much they leak because we own them longer than the average everyday transportation unit.
The crankcase parting line is the only place that hasn't leaked on either of my 911s that I've owned.
When I've repaired the leaks that are reachable without an engine drop, the culprit is always an o-ring that became hard and flat.
If you desire a 911 engine that doesn't leak for 20 years, remove it from the car and do a complete re-seal. It's the only way. Otherwise you are chasing leaks in sequence as the various seals degrade.

Last edited by Metal Guru; 01-25-2013 at 09:00 AM. Reason: spelling and intent
Old 01-24-2013, 06:11 PM
Colorado964turbo
Burning Brakes

Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts

I have a few minor leaks, nothing major so I don't sweat it. I put some new lower valve covers on it drilled for the twin plugs and that made it a lot better.

Like has been mentioned, I can tell it leaks more (smells just a bit first time out) after it has been sitting for a while during the winter.

Bill
Old 01-24-2013, 07:42 PM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have replaced all hoses around the tank plus the oil cooler line. No leaks for the moment but prob just a matter of time.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:41 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the replies fellas

My 964 Turbo has 40,000 easy miles and I was starting to think mine was the only one that leaked.

Anyway, I have been talking to Daniel Jacobs and once the engine is out we are going to replace what ever needs replacing.

Keep the feedback coming.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:55 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Received 110 Likes on 83 Posts

Just another quick datapoint - my car (new to me as you guys know) but my car has several small leaks. I usually get a quarter spot on the garage floor each night after driving. The only really annoying one is the one that drips onto the passenger side exhaust/muffler and smells. 70,000 miles.....

Brandon
'91 911 Turbo
'01 Audi S4
Old 01-25-2013, 09:47 AM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought a 35,000 mile car / garage queen.

I bought it knowing I would tear it down, including splitting the cases.
The oil pump was leaking on mine and we had one broken exhaust stud which we didn't know about.

The power steering fluid was like thick mud and who ever was doing the oil changes on the car I don't think ever drained the oil from the coolers in the front of the car-it was black.

The turbo hose clamp was also never put on right from the factory - there was some blowby. Also some cylinders were running lean others rich not sure what fuel was used.

Regardless the body and the interior was in excellent shape so I wanted to make sure the mechs were in the same shape.

The engine is all torn down now into the 1800 or so pieces. Obviousky replacibg all seals and rubber and any worn internals as well as the case studs with arp.

Even though the car ran fine you just never know what is in there until you do an engine out.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:11 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,230 Likes on 1,329 Posts

Originally Posted by RR
I just bought a 35,000 mile car / garage queen.

I bought it knowing I would tear it down, including splitting the cases.
The oil pump was leaking on mine and we had one broken exhaust stud which we didn't know about.

The power steering fluid was like thick mud and who ever was doing the oil changes on the car I don't think ever drained the oil from the coolers in the front of the car-it was black.

The turbo hose clamp was also never put on right from the factory - there was some blowby. Also some cylinders were running lean others rich not sure what fuel was used.

Regardless the body and the interior was in excellent shape so I wanted to make sure the mechs were in the same shape.

The engine is all torn down now into the 1800 or so pieces. Obviousky replacibg all seals and rubber and any worn internals as well as the case studs with arp.

Even though the car ran fine you just never know what is in there until you do an engine out.
That is a shame that someone cared for a car cosmetically but allowed it to suffer internally. I am a bit surprised a factory turbo hose clamp was improperly installed from the factory. I would be more suspicious of work done later.

These cars are prone to leaking. Mine leaks if I don't drive it for long periods. A single quarter sized drop around the turbo oil tank area after sitting all winter. Once driving season begins the leaks go away.

There are also known issues with the valve covers warping. If improperly torqued they will twist and need replacing. One of the newest issues is the long hose/pipe that runs over the oil tank up to the front cooler. These have shown to dry out over time and leak. This can get quite expensive and I would recommend paying up for the factory braided hose vs the cheaper aftermarket version. It is far more substantial.

Quick Reply: 964 Turbos and oil leaks (Owners please contribute)