Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Little Winter Project - more boost, AFR, WUR...

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 10:08 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

Yeah I had one of those on my previous car - cool - but the 710N BPVs are very durable and cost $45. IMO the billet BPVs are a waste of $115. Just my opinion....

Brandon
'91 911 Turbo
'01 Audi S4
Old 02-02-2013, 01:32 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Plumbing in the boost gauge - I want to plumb it in after the throttle body - T into an existing line. There is a line that heads up and to the right in the engine compartment - thinking it connects to the oil tank??? Was thinking that would be easy but I don't want those fumes gumming up the line or leaking into the cabin so thinking I'll skip that one.
Is there a good reason not to T off the line that goes to the EZ-69? I think the risk would be if a connection got loose or the hose cracked and the EZ couldn't detect boost and ignition timing got messed up. I would hate for that to happen but I'd be adding only two connections with a single brand new piece of braided vac hose in between...I guess the risk comes years down the road when the line to the boost gauge is old...

Or maybe figure a way to adapt the little plugged tube (factory emissions testing????) to accept a vacuum line fitting???

Is there another [fairly easy] place to T in after the throttle body?

Thanks

Brandon
'91 911 Turbo
'01 Audi S4
Old 02-02-2013, 08:28 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

I decided I'm going to plumb in the on the line that goes, I believe, to the oil tank - will plumb in between the TB and check valve. My gauge reads boost and vacuum.

I heard from Brian L this week - my WUR was slightly out of spec - running rich overall - but quite a bit on very cold starts.

Between the redone WUR, a little more boost, a new BPV - I can't wait to drive this car again. I saw quite a few Porsches out last week (lots of 993s actually) and was bummed I couldn't drive mine....

Soon.

Brandon
'91 911 Turbo
'01 Audi S4
Old 02-11-2013, 09:52 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Getting close to being back on the road. Got the AFR sensor installed, and the wire routed, for the most part. Got the boost gauge line plumbed in and routed, for the most part. Replaced the bad BPV. Replaced the [what appeared to be saturated and leaking] rubber connector for the big metal breather line on the back of the motor. Brian Leask shipped my now-adjustable WUR a couple edays ago - should be here tomorrow or Wednesday woot woot. He told me it was a little rich under normal and boost - but way rich on cold starts - which is comforting considering how it started when it was really cold out - VERY rich exhaust, lumpy idle... Got a K&N filter installed for tuning the WUR (thanks for that idea Paul!) then will put the stock air cleaner back on. The modded wastegate should be here hopefully next week. Very excited to drive her again soon - considering little things I've found and done - the car should run better overall and of course be a little more powerful :-) Soon!

Still need to tap into the cig lighter for power - for the AFR meter and hardwire the V1.

Brandon
'91 911 Turbo
'01 Audi S4
Old 02-18-2013, 02:41 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

OK - a couple quick questions:
Who's really familiar with dash wiring? I found an unplugged ground (I think - ground is brown (this one is brown with grey) on these cars, right?) wire behind the glovebox - looks to have 2 small ground wires and a female spade connector - anybody know what it was for?

And I found a good size single green wire behind the stereo? IIRC it has a female spade connector, too. Anyone know? My car has a CDR 210 in it now (which I want to get rid of - let me know if you have a CDR-220 or something iPod compatible for sale) - maybe was a wire for the OE stereo- but what?

My battery died so I'm charging it now - will use a DMM and test the green to see if it is switched power maybe tonight....

Brandon
'91 911 Turbo
'01 Audi S4
Old 03-16-2013, 06:58 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

She's back on the road - running 14 psi with my "custom" mechanically adjustable wastegate. Brian Leask WUR installed. Car is running great. I was thinking my settings were pretty lean but at idle and cruise and putt putting around but fine on boost - but now I'm thinking it's because the air injection was not disabled.

I've disconnected the O2 sensor and hose from the pump - manual says to unplug a sensor - but I don't see it anywhere and I couldn't feel anything while groping around back there - how necessary is that part anyway?

So - Question - do you keep the air injection disabled to check all AFR settings? Assuming so at this point....

FYI it was making a big difference in readings.....

Brandon
'91 911 Turbo
'01 Audi S4
Old 04-16-2013, 07:08 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Not much to say- have done a few small tweaks to the BL WUR - car is running great.

**Still curious if/how the air pump is going to screw everything up (AFR-wise since it injects air before the normal O2 sensor )

Now if we'd quit getting these April snowstorms!

Contemplating driving the car out to Moab this weekend for mountain biking but weather (up on the mountain passes) might kill that thought....

Brandon
'91 911 Turbo
'01 Audi S4
Old 04-16-2013, 08:10 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 184 Posts

Post some pictures of the car, will ya?
Old 04-17-2013, 06:54 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Apparently I've reached my attachment limit - I'm guessing I'll need to pay money and become a "member" if I want to post more pics. Maybe one of these days...
In the meantime here's a pic I posted on Pelican.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-9...ur-thread.html

Brandon
'91 911 Turbo
'01 Audi S4
Old 04-17-2013, 08:22 PM
H2O LOL
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by urquattro20Vt
Apparently I've reached my attachment limit - I'm guessing I'll need to pay money and become a "member" if I want to post more pics. Maybe one of these days...

Brandon
'91 911 Turbo
'01 Audi S4
Yeah ya need to man up and support the forum. It's a small price to pay for the info received and time/money saved.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:10 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by urquattro20Vt

Brandon
'91 911 Turbo
'01 Audi S4
Nice Turbo!!
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

Quick Reply: Little Winter Project - more boost, AFR, WUR...