Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Little Winter Project - more boost, AFR, WUR...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 12:25 AM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Little Winter Project - more boost, AFR, WUR...

OK guys - I should have done this in the first place rather than have all the separate questions/posts/threads. So this will be my thread for questions that pop up while I install an AFR meter, boost gauge, modified wastegate for adjustable boost, and adjustable WUR (by Brian Leask) install and tuning at the end.

As I'm still getting edumucated - I'll prolly have plenty of dumb questions. I more of an ask dumb questions guy rather than just dive in (and screw stuff up usually in my case).

So tonight I removed the WUR. A pain yes - but not that bad - but the idea of having to do that opver and over for each little tweak of the WUR when I get it back - NO THANKS! Thanks to Metal Guru for the idea of the cone filters until the WUR is dialed in - I'm all over that.

So - on to today's questions - (will try to attach pics, too -OK my computer is not cooperating - will attach pic in the morning from my work computer...)

1. What is the T in the vacuum line for (located rear passnger side of engine compartment) - is something missing? or did a check valve go bad and somebody happened to have one on hand with a "T"?

2. What is this green connector on the fuel metering head? Looks like nothing has been there for quite some time.

3. What about this threaded boss on the intake manifold right next to what I think is the Aux Air Valve?

4. Lines to air cleaner assembly - the only one I don't understand is the rubber one that connects to the back - it then passes through a grommet on the driver side of the engine compartment - trying to figure out what to do with it while I have cone filters on for WUR tuning.

5. Last- while I'm in there - no air cleaner assembly - I have some access - anything I should do "while I'm in there"? I think I recal seeing that the oil pressur esender is prone to leaks... I do have a leak from the top, I think, towards the front of the motor.... Looking at the sensor I can't really tell. There is some oil around there....

Thanks guys!

Brandon
'91 911 Turbo
'01 Audi S4
Old 01-22-2013, 10:51 AM
H2O LOL
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

#2 , it was used on the 930s but not ours. Leask had to clear that up for me.

# 4 , it goes to a charcoal canister inside the fender. Metal guru helped me with that one.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:15 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Ok cool that helps thanks. I was thinking a different one went the the CC - but this makes sense.

H20 - did you change your screen name or start a new "account"?

Brandon
'91 911 Turbo
'01 Audi S4
Old 01-22-2013, 02:47 PM
H2O LOL
Pro

Changed screen name. It was too hard to type every time I signed in from a different computer.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:04 PM
Colorado964turbo
Burning Brakes

Received 173 Likes on 102 Posts

The mod bug hit ya again did it Brandon?

I have a Tial wastegate, and while it isn't adjustable per say, I can switch out the springs to change the pressure.

Bill
Old 01-22-2013, 06:35 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by Colorado964turbo
I have a Tial wastegate, and while it isn't adjustable per say, I can switch out the springs to change the pressure.
I found that a mechanical boost controller (installed in the engine compartment to avoid temptation ) helps trim out boost level to exactly what I want and it's a lot quicker and easier than changing springs in both of my wastegates.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:54 AM
H2O LOL
Pro

I do the EBC thing. 1 and 1.2 bar as the presets. So far so good and super easy
Old 01-23-2013, 09:50 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

I'm working with fredmeister on Pelican - doing a screw down adjustable wastegate - old Audi's came that way from the factory - quite a bit more involved on this car. Boost should range from stock to 1.0. I'm going to run just under 1.0 bar - 14 psi - want to keep it nice n safe.

Hey Bill - just this little mod then I'm done. Yeah yeah I know - sounds like a crack *****. But I mean it. Really. I do. :-) The car will be down for a about a month - I know we need to get together to get you the TCU back.

Brandon
'91 911 Turbo
'01 Audi S4
Old 01-23-2013, 11:22 PM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Brandon,

Started with a slightly modded 996TT. Then more HP, then bigger brakes, then adaptive sport seats, then....... Trying very hard not to get near the edge of the slope, or it will pull me down as it has many times before.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:33 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

I hear ya, Fred. As I've mentioned before I went crazy on my last car - don't get my wrong - it was soooo much better (faster, more reliable, better looking, stopped better, handled better - did EVERYTHING better) by the time I sold it - but I just have no desire to go ther ewith this car. I just want to drive it. After I get a teenie bit more power. ;-) I want to creep up to the cliff's edge, then take a step back, and enjoy.

Brandon
'91 911 Turbo
'01 Audi S4
Old 01-24-2013, 12:06 AM
H2O LOL
Pro

Originally Posted by urquattro20Vt
I hear ya, Fred. As I've mentioned before I went crazy on my last car - don't get my wrong - it was soooo much better (faster, more reliable, better looking, stopped better, handled better - did EVERYTHING better) by the time I sold it - but I just have no desire to go ther ewith this car. I just want to drive it. After I get a teenie bit more power. ;-) I want to creep up to the cliff's edge, then take a step back, and enjoy.

Brandon
'91 911 Turbo
'01 Audi S4

Bull ****
Old 01-25-2013, 02:37 PM
Sharker
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by H2O LOL
Bull ****
Rofl
Old 01-26-2013, 01:39 AM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Yes - LOL. I guess we'll just see what happens!

Brandon
'91 911 Turbo
'01 Audi S4
Old 01-26-2013, 08:20 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Ok - question of the day:
What is the best/easiest way to tap into the cig lighter wires for power? I'm thinking I'd tap in there for power for the AFR meter and V1 hardwire.

Or is there a better place? Like any of the 3 center console switches (for the AFR meter)??

Made a little progress this week - Brian L has my WUR. I ordered up a cone filter to use for tuning purposes only - then back to stock. Ordered a boost gauge (again - prolly just for tuning). Discovered my BPV was bad so I ordered up a 710N (now made by Kayser , not Bosch fyi).

Thanks guys-

Brandon
'91 911 Turbo
'01 Audi S4
Old 01-26-2013, 09:53 PM
H2O LOL
Pro

Might look into this sweet BOV. I have one which replaced my factory one that was not working. Direct replacment and super nice..

http://www.forgemotorsport.com/conte...oduct=FMCL007P

Quick Reply: Little Winter Project - more boost, AFR, WUR...