Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Exact position of the Turbo 3.6 rear badge.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 11:56 AM
30 CSL
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Applying the badge at Porsche (whichever the model is) does not mean having fun at work and I am sure the person whose job was to apply the badges had a template to always put them at same place ! I cannot imagine Porsche letting 100% freedom to a person deciding where the badge has to be applied : Definitely not Porsche like. We obviously are not fighting for a couple of mm more or less but all the badges were certainly put at same place. The badge of the RPM car as well as Max's badge are correct, other badges have been replaced or applyed again
Old 12-14-2012, 07:48 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by Y65MPH
I think B&W has it right. They were put on with more of an eyeball application than a scientific one.

Really now, would the Germans ever be so lax that they'd allow the workers to apply something so visible as the badge without a work aid?
Of course they wouldn't.
Every manufacturer uses some kind of a work aid to position badges. Take a tour through any assembly plant and you will see that.
Just last night I was watching the Ultimate Factories show where they were building Nissan GT-R's. The work aid used to position the GT-R badge was really clever in that it was part of the adhesive backing paper, die cut to fit in the corner of the deck lid. The worker applied the badge using the guide and then peeled the guide off.
When I look at the old factory publicity photos of Turbo 3.6's it appears that the badge is pretty much centered in the space available on the decklid.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:35 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Update.
Look at the beginning of this video:

Here is a 3.6 that is fresh from the factory. The badge is smack dab in the middle of the decklid.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:30 PM
Nski
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
Update.
Look at the beginning of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82aDO0MuYQ4

Here is a 3.6 that is fresh from the factory. The badge is smack dab in the middle of the decklid.
WOW, thanks for the response! Your right Metal Guru on the video its bang in the middle!
Old 12-16-2012, 09:45 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,952 Likes on 1,181 Posts

Originally Posted by Metal Guru

Just last night I was watching the Ultimate Factories show where they were building Nissan GT-R's. The work aid used to position the GT-R badge was really clever in that it was part of the adhesive backing paper, die cut to fit in the corner of the deck lid. The worker applied the badge using the guide and then peeled the guide off.
When I look at the old factory publicity photos of Turbo 3.6's it appears that the badge is pretty much centered in the space available on the decklid.
I saw a video years ago of the 928GTS assembly process and they applied the badge in the exact same manor you described. Although I would have to say it was far from an exact science however criteria does seem to be established and in the end it was the skill of the installer that was in charge. I would assume they did the same for the 964's.

BTW mine is original and is pretty much as pictured by Max
Old 08-10-2016, 11:27 AM
Motilev
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone has proper number of chrome 3.6 badge?

I've found 965 559 22100, is it right?
Old 08-11-2016, 09:42 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

You can look it up with the online PET: http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessori...artscatalogue/
Old 08-11-2016, 01:57 PM
Vincent C.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default badge

Originally Posted by Motilev
Anyone has proper number of chrome 3.6 badge?

I've found 965 559 22100, is it right?
yes....

Quick Reply: Exact position of the Turbo 3.6 rear badge.