964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

A couple of setup questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2002, 09:59 AM
NYandrew
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post A couple of setup questions

I am about to make an investment in a 94 3.6 Turbo. I am still in the hunt for the perfect low mileage example in the NY area. However, as I'm looking, I'm doing a fair amount of research into some of the modifications I'd like to do at some point. The car will be used as a weekend driver, with occasional auto-x/light tract use.

1) I'd like to lower the car slightly, and increase the auto-x potential of the car. I know that fc-racer has the RUF setup on his 92. Does RUF have a similar setup for the 94? I know he successfully uses his for auto-x too, so that was why I was thinking of using the RUF setup. Does anyone have any suggestions, plus tire suggestions that take care of some of the understeer problem I've read about. I'd like to keep the split-rim speedlines stock on the car.

2) I'd like a more sporty exhaust sound than stock. Does anyone have any suggestions on plumbing solutions from and inclucing the headers back, with the goal of improving bottom end driveability, providing an awesome sound with some burbling on revdown, and reducing some of the sudden impact of the boost. I am not looking for tremendous horsepower gains, but a more usuable powerband and better sound.

3) For purely cosmetic reasons, I was thinking of putting on a rear tail from either a 92 3.3 S or a 94 3.6 S. Does anyone have any thoughts on fitting one of these tails to a standard 3.6 model? Does the 3.3 S tail even fit a 94 3.6.

Thanks if anyone can help out on any of these topics. I've read through a lot of the old posts, and hopefully I haven't missed stuff that was in old posts that would directly answer these questions. Thanks.
Old 05-31-2002, 10:22 AM
Ray Bahr
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

I am in the same situation as yourself. I will share whatever data I get. I would also be interested in what you find out. I am curious about pricing, mods, reliability... I posted a short time ago looking for information as well...
My email is rbahr@cisco.com

Thanks

Ray Bahr
Old 05-31-2002, 11:08 AM
jeff91C2T
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
1) Just to share my experience (minimal). I'm running the H&R springs w/ Bilstein shocks and RS sway bars. The shock bodies are threaded so you can pretty much set your ride height were you want it (lowered). The spring rates are firm for the street and handling is excellent. Although the progressive rate springs make for too much squat or dive during hard acceleration or braking (in my opinion). When you come up on boost, the back end can really squat while the front lifts.

2) From an exhaust stand point, lots of options. You can do the muffler by-pass which might be the lowest cost option. But in my opinion, headers are where you'll really notice the difference and get the broad power band. I made almost 100 more ftlbs of torque, at lower RPM and boost, then a stock car at a dyno day.

3) I think, outside of the motor, the 3.6 Turbo's should be pretty much the same as the 3.3's.

Hope this helps...

Quick Reply: A couple of setup questions