964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Cut-off, Black Smoke

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2002, 12:16 PM
greg1234
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Staffan.

The mechanic told me that the "idle control valve" is broken... actually physically broken inside. He is going to put a new one in but it's pretty cheap (£129 including labour) so I can't complain really.

I think he said it's not the same as the valve that has the bi-metallic strip in it; this one has some sort of oscillating valve in it or something???

Anyway I'll let you know if/when I get more details about the broken part.
Old 10-16-2002, 05:42 AM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Greg, please ask your mechanic to give you the old part or at least point at the part he replaced. I still think it's the same part.

The part I am talking about is Bosch "0 280 140 204". It is connected to the hose going from the right side of the intercooler. It's made of aluminium, two pipes and a "nose" looking thing on it (where the bi-metallic strip is). If there was another part that has broken it would be really interesting to know!

On new cars, there are oscillating valves called "idle control" or "idle stabilizers", on our cars we have a bimetallic strip controling the valve. I have a hard time thinking there would be two valves dealing with the same thing!

I think your mechanic is refering to the same part, price match as well. If he doesn't get the thing to work after it's installed, remember the possibility of the fried fuel pump relays.
Old 10-17-2002, 09:38 AM
greg1234
Racer

Hi Staffan.

It is the same part as you mentioned (same Bosch part number).

I can hear something inside rattling when I turn it over in my hand, so something clearly had broken.

The car is now idling perfectly. Actually it feels better overall - must be psychological!

Thanks for your help!
Old 10-17-2002, 04:06 PM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Great stuff Greg!
Glad to help.

I am going to put together a trouble shooting document for this since there where so many posts.
Your mechanic btw was wrong on many accounts, another reason to do a summary and clear things out.

Staffan

Quick Reply: Cut-off, Black Smoke