Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

18" Speedline split Rims O.E. 3.6 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2024, 05:46 AM
ch3tman
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 88 Posts

Firstly, sorry to bump such an old thread, however there is great info residing here. Speaking of which....

Originally Posted by Viken
There are two versions of these:

965.362.136.00 - 8" x 18" ET52 - Cast silver metallic wheel with polished rim flange
965.362.140.00 - 10" x 18" ET61 - Cast silver metallic wheel with polished rim flange

965.362.136.01 - 8" x 18" ET52 - Cast alloy polished
965.362.140.01 - 10" x 18" ET61 - Cast alloy polished
Can anyone assist with photos and/or commentary around the differences in appearance for of 'Cast Silver Metallic' vs 'Cast Alloy' please?
Ideally in the same lighting, for a direct comparison, but appreciate this is a tall order.
Does a colour code exist for 'Cast Silver Metallic'?

Paging @Viken and @Adrain too.

Last edited by ch3tman; 07-04-2024 at 07:51 AM.
Old 07-04-2024, 12:37 PM
Flachbau
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That description is indeed confusing. The wheels are identical except for the treatment of the centers. They are both the same alloy. They both have polished outer rim flanges.

00 = the centers are painted metallic silver over the alloy
01 = the centers are the alloy polished not painted.

The factory also produced 00 with with centers painted to match the body color and in rare case custom colors. This treatment was done by the Exclusive department.

Last edited by Flachbau; 07-04-2024 at 12:40 PM.
Old 07-04-2024, 05:21 PM
ch3tman
Racer

Originally Posted by Flachbau
That description is indeed confusing. The wheels are identical except for the treatment of the centers. They are both the same alloy. They both have polished outer rim flanges.

00 = the centers are painted metallic silver over the alloy
01 = the centers are the alloy polished not painted.

The factory also produced 00 with with centers painted to match the body color and in rare case custom colors. This treatment was done by the Exclusive department.
Thank you for chiming in.

Can you be sure you have listed the 00 and 01 the right way round? The only reason I ask, is this current listing here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/235448313100. I'll post some key images from it in case the link expires:

The part number indicates 01 yet the centres are the 'metallic silver' you suggested is present on the 00 specification.

Regardless of the 00 and 01, are you aware of the paint code for this muted 'satin' like metallic silver?
Old 07-04-2024, 07:59 PM
Flachbau
Burning Brakes

'Can you be sure you have listed the 00 and 01 the right way round? The only reason I ask, is this current listing here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/235448313100. I'll post some key images from it in case the link expires:'

Yes I am.

The reason why these appear incorrect is because they have been taken apart and painted. Originally they were polished.

The replacement script is the wrong color (should be white) and the bolts are not original. When these wheels are redone the bolts can easily be bent and often cannot be reused. And you cannot purchase the original bolts. So replacement bolts are used.

Here is a link to buy the wheels new cheaper than this ebay ad is asking. I an sure you can find a Porsche dealer in the UK that will match the price.https://www.suncoastparts.com/catego...ssisWHEEL.html

Here is the parts katalog page for the wheels.

The following 2 users liked this post by Flachbau:
ch3tman (07-05-2024), cobalt (07-06-2024)
Old 07-05-2024, 10:12 AM
ch3tman
Racer

Super knowledge @Flachbau , thank you for your continued input! Much appreciated .

The reason why these appear incorrect is because they have been taken apart and painted. Originally they were polished.
I am visiting from the 993 sub-forum - thus oblivious to 964 nuances - thanks for the education.
You are spot on - I now see via your katalog image, that 00 is indeed the correct part number suffix.

The replacement script is the wrong color (should be white)
Good catch. Furthermore, the PORSCHE logo itself is incorrect, the style of the 'R' is an obvious indicator...

and the bolts are not original.. . When these wheels are redone the bolts can easily be bent and often cannot be reused. And you cannot purchase the original bolts. So replacement bolts are used.
1] Given their NLA status, would you consider it a faux-pas to have 'aftermarket' bolts on a newly refurbished set of Speedlines?

Here is a link to buy the wheels new cheaper than this ebay ad is asking. I an sure you can find a Porsche dealer in the UK that will match the price.https://www.suncoastparts.com/catego...ssisWHEEL.html
Thankful for your concern here - yes it's an obscene price point in that listing. For clarity I have zero intention of bidding on those wheels.
The listing was referenced merely to demonstrate the colour of the '00' wheel centres in question, nothing more.

Here is the parts katalog page for the wheels.
Super helpful! This further highlights the mystery behind my thread resurrection. I hope you can assist? Read on...

2] The 993 Cup II wheel and centre cap listed on the same katalog page clearly reference the colour code of 61M. Code 61M (along with L97M & Z4) map directly to diamant-silber-metallic (diamond silver metallic). Yet the textual description for both the 993* part and 965* part simply states 'Silver Metallic' on the katalog. This is confusing because:
  • Firstly there are many Silver Metallics out there, see below for a non-exhaustive list:

• Secondly, we can see - visually - the finish of the 993 Cup II wheel is very different to the 964 3.6 Turbo wheel carrying the 136.00 suffix, the latter being quite interesting/mysterious. They are certainly not the same 'silver metallic' that the katalog page may otherwise imply.

Annotated by the question marks, the katalog simply doesn't declare the specific paint finish for the 136.00 wheel. Is it known? Has it been published? Is it a textured finish? Power coated? etc.
(the context is here wishing to see if/how the satin finish of the 965.362.136.00 & 965.362.140.00 can be achieved on other wheels)

Last edited by ch3tman; 07-05-2024 at 10:15 AM.
Old 07-05-2024, 01:40 PM
Flachbau
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ch3tman
Annotated by the question marks, the katalog simply doesn't declare the specific paint finish for the 136.00 wheel. Is it known? Has it been published? Is it a textured finish? Power coated? etc.
(the context is here wishing to see if/how the satin finish of the 965.362.136.00 & 965.362.140.00 can be achieved on other wheels)
Thanks

The color is Silver Metallic as stated in the Katalog it just doesn’t provide the paint code which is 92N.

Both the paint and the clear gloss coat are Glasurit Line 90. But the Italians probably used whatever clear coat laying around.

Any texture is provided by the wheel hoop's alloy surface. The hoops are not polished for the painted wheels. Polished wheels are just the polished alloy.

This is how Speedline factory made the painted wheels. And it is the same process to refurbish them. The wheel hoops are painted (stripped first if refurbishing). Then the wheel is assembled. Then the assembled wheel is sprayed with a coat of clear high gloss.

Polished wheels were made the same way just with no paint with a clear coat spray on the assembled wheels.

If you are redoing Speedlines you may or may not be able to reuse the crush ring. You will probably have to true the wheels. And you most likely will have to reetch the script.

I think that replacement bolts and nuts are acceptable under the circumstance. But to be 'correct' they need to be 37mm long shaft bolts, and both the bolts and nuts have to be finished in nickel. In the ebay set the bolts are too short and none of it is nickel plated.

When looking for/at Porsche paint colors I recommend using Glasurit's site: https://coloronline.glasurit.com/index.php?language=1

Last edited by Flachbau; 07-05-2024 at 01:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ch3tman (07-05-2024)
Old 07-05-2024, 06:21 PM
ch3tman
Racer

Once again, thank you for your superior knowledge and for sharing it . Not all are so willing to do so. Big thumbs up .

Any texture is provided by the wheel hoop's alloy surface. The hoops are not polished for the painted wheels. Polished wheels are just the polished alloy.

This is how Speedline factory made the painted wheels. And it is the same process to refurbish them. The wheel hoops are painted (stripped first if refurbishing). Then the wheel is assembled. Then the assembled wheel is sprayed with a coat of clear high gloss.
The texture referred to was not on the 'hoop' but rather the wheel centre itself, see example photos of this very '00' wheel below (ignore the polished lips!).

It's 'texture' appears to aid it's muted like appearance versus a more traditional 'silver metallic. Texture may be the wrong word here (instead: fine grit, maybe? powder?), but for instance, Silver Metallic 61M of the Cup II wheel (Suncoast link here: https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...317FWHEEL.html) is distinctly different to the Silver Metallic 92N of the 3.6 Turbo wheel (Suncoast link here: https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/96436RWS.html) which even their webpages demonstrate.

I think that replacement bolts and nuts are acceptable under the circumstance. But to be 'correct' they need to be 37mm long shaft bolts, and both the bolts and nuts have to be finished in nickel. In the ebay set the bolts are too short and none of it is nickel plated.
Super tips - thank you!

The color is Silver Metallic as stated in the Katalog it just doesn’t provide the paint code which is 92N.
Not to dismiss your knowledge in the slightest - which has proven to be 100% so far - but for absolute verification, is 92N confirmed anywhere? Publication? Technical Manual? Brochure? etc.

Having performed a very quick search for 92N it certainly looks to be correct, it appears to potentially also be known as 936 or S7 (tried checking via the Glasurit link but it shows the 'ingredients' for each of those mixes to differ slightly so they must be codes for different eras).

Ref 1: https://www.colors.rs/colorsearch?tag=C5GvUE0zC2
Ref 2: https://www.pcarmarket.com/auction/1...he-911s-targa/
Ref 3: https://www.elferspot.com/en/car/por...-1973-1032228/

Thanks for all your help, and the promptness of it.

EDIT: upon reflection, perhaps what you are more simply suggesting is, that 92N was the only 'Silver Metallic' during the production of the Turbo 3.6 (per image below) and so it cannot be anything else?

Last edited by ch3tman; 07-05-2024 at 07:37 PM.
Old 07-05-2024, 10:33 PM
Flachbau
Burning Brakes

No problem.

By hoops I mean the two rim centers not the trim ring (rim flange).

You have to keep in mind that Porsche in the early 90’s was not all that focused on sharing correct information. They had a lot of problems and information sharing was very back burner, especially for out-sourced parts like wheels. It was a very different company then, than it is today.

There is only one 'Silver Metallic' which is 92N. 61M is a different color. That said, you will notice in the Katalog that for the 993 61M is called ‘Silver Metallic’. That is typical of Porsche for the time.

I don’t know of any official documentation regarding confirming 92N as the color of the centers. I can only tell you that my sources are pretty decent.

One other thing I should clarify is that the polished wheels are polished, then powder coated. The alloy itself does not naturally have that level of the reflective sheen See my previous post from 2002 https://rennlist.com/forums/964-turb...tml#post589840

Mark
ch3tman (07-06-2024)
Old 07-06-2024, 05:32 PM
ch3tman
Racer

Thank you for all your help. Consider me educated - you've answered more than I've asked - most appreciated.
There is only one 'Silver Metallic' which is 92N. 61M is a different color. That said, you will notice in the Katalog that for the 993 61M is called ‘Silver Metallic’. That is typical of Porsche for the time.
This is very amusing .
Old 07-06-2024, 06:23 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,257 Posts

@Flachbau Nice to have yo posting agin.
heliolps2 (07-09-2024)

Quick Reply: 18" Speedline split Rims O.E. 3.6 Turbo