94 Turbo 3.6 Headers, best brand?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2001, 11:18 PM
Grumpy
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 94 Turbo 3.6 Headers, best brand?

94 Turbo 3.6

Looking for advice on who makes the best header. I am considering GHL, B&B, Powerhaus.
At this point I think GHL or Powerhaus are the most likely ones as I have heard of several reliability issues with B&B.
Also, I think I will run headers with the cat in place and no muffler, any opinions/advice on this is appreciated.

Thanks,
Grumpy
Old 12-19-2001, 04:17 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Dear Gruppy,
In these cases it is always buyer beware. What works for one does not work for another.
I do not recommend that you keep the cat in the circuit and run without a muffler. You will trash your cat fairly quickly.
I would recommend your headers, cat bypass pipe and a sports muffler. Do not forget also that you may need to do some additional tuning of the engine control systems to get full advantage of the changes you are making. You can be very successful in this area with a Turbo,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 12-20-2001, 01:45 PM
Terry Waller
7th Gear

Hi Grumpy,
I went through the same research. My decision, based upon all that I could learn was to go with GHL headers. I have retained the catalytic converter, but I have replaced the muffler with a fabspeed "j-pipe" that I was able to get used. It came with 4" tips and a replacement for the short muffler/cat that comes off the wastegate. I just received the headers yesterday. When I put them on, I'll let you know what my seat of the pants dyno tells me.
Terry
94 3.6 turbo
Old 12-20-2001, 07:31 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Grumpy,
Our Biggest results have been made with headers, cat in place and a muffler bypass. The sound is nice and throaty without being to loud. The system seems to like the amount of backpressure the cat creates and without the muffler it is just the right amount.HP gains are real. We are doing one right now in the shop.
Best,
Stephen www.ImagineAuto.com
Old 01-01-2002, 04:06 PM
Mark S.
Instructor

Grumpy -

I would go with the B&B. They are the only one's who make a really good header system for the 3.6 Turbo. I did a lot of research before purchasing a set for my 3.6 Turbo S.

You should run a muffler with no cat. There is no such thing as a cat bypass for this car. You just run the muffler straight off of the turbo.

I have Tial waste gate, B&B muffler and special Garrett turbo unit. With these simple mod's I dynoed at 370HP at the rear wheels (approx. 440hp at the crank) A twin turbo is 400hp turbo at the crank or 320hp at the wheels.

The power and torque curves are a thing of beauty. If you want a copy send me a private email.

Mark

Quick Reply: 94 Turbo 3.6 Headers, best brand?