Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Bleeding Brakes as difficult as it appears?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 11:47 PM
tasracer
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where can imfind the instructions gonna bleed this weekend

And wanna do itnthe right way
Old 04-22-2011, 09:39 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Tas, first off you will need a pressure bleeder. Motive Products makes an economical one that works well.

Start by filling the bleeder with fluid and screwing the top on the reservoir. The vent on top of the reservoir has to be plugged. I clamped a piece of clear tubing to mine and clamped the end of the tubing shut with a small pair of Vice Grips. Pressurize the system to 20-25 psi if you've had your calipers apart or 15 if you haven't. If the fluid in the system is gold, flush with blue fluid or vise versa.

To start to bleed the calipers, have a piece of clear plastic tubing that will fit over the nipples on hand. The tubing should be long enough to run into a container to catch the waste fluid. You will also need a tooling mallet and a small closed end wrench to turn the nipples. Put the wrench on the bleeder hex, attach the hose to the nipple and open the bleeder. When you begin to see the new fluid in the hose tap the caliper gently with the mallet to coax any trapped air out of the caliper. When you no longer see any bubbles in the hose, close the bleeder and move to the next one. Remember to bleed both sides of each caliper (there are two nipples per caliper). Start with the right rear caliper, move to the clutch cylinder, then left rear, then right front, left front and finally the accumulator.

Expect to spend an hour doing this.

Good luck.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:10 AM
tasracer
Burning Brakes

I knew how to do all that...

Just curious about clutch cylinder and accumulator?
Old 04-22-2011, 08:14 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tasracer
I knew how to do all that...

Just curious about clutch cylinder and accumulator?
Well, you really didn't specify your level of experience and ability so I told you everything to be on the safe side.

What do you want to know about the other stuff?
Old 04-23-2011, 04:39 AM
wagonface
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I have found the accumulator. I think some people refer to it as 'the bomb' because it looks like a bomb (black metallic cylinder slightly larger than a closed fist). Mine ('91 UK model 3.3T) is next to the ABS unit by my spare tire. Can anyone explain how to bleed it? I read on pelican that its pressurised so you have to be very careful. If anyone has a picture of it, that would be even better.

Also - dont people tend to ignore the clutch slave because its so hard to get to?

Thanks for all the help so far.

Josh
Old 04-23-2011, 10:12 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

I just pressurized the system with the Motive bleeder (not the hydraulic pump for the power steering system) and cracked the bleeder on the accumulator open slowly. I'd recommend to make sure that the hose is a snug fit on the nipple.

As for the clutch, it's a pain to reach. Really, you almost need a second joint in your forearm to touch it but it is just barely accessible from the driver's side of the car, smack dab on top of the transaxle. It will require a smaller and longer hose than the brake nipples. The fluid that you get out of it will be very dark.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:01 AM
wagonface
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. Which is the bleed nipple on the accumulator? The black rubber pointing upwards, or the sideays bit with the yellow cap? (see attached pic)
Attached Images  
Old 04-26-2011, 06:15 PM
tasracer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
Well, you really didn't specify your level of experience and ability so I told you everything to be on the safe side.

What do you want to know about the other stuff?
Old 04-29-2011, 11:06 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by wagonface
Thanks. Which is the bleed nipple on the accumulator? The black rubber pointing upwards, or the sideays bit with the yellow cap? (see attached pic)
To bleed the accumulator ....you put a hose on that bleeder valve with a collector bottle ........turn on the key and open the bleed and close it after fluid is exchanged the pump will force the fluid out ... be quick because the fluid will will fly out . this should be done first before you use the power bleeder for the calipers.
Elliot

Quick Reply: Bleeding Brakes as difficult as it appears?