Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Setting up HKS Boost Controller...

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2002, 11:44 PM
tasracer
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
on the left side of the engine bay there is some sort of plastic housing... a flap was cut out of it and the stepping motor went in there... clean install and close to the wastegate and popoff valve so the vaccum lines are short
Old 05-27-2002, 06:49 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

For those that have been successful at setting up an HKS EVC IV on a C2T, can you provide details on the learning steps you went through please? I cannot get mine to control boost correctly, it oscillates at the set boost pressure +/- 3psi!

fc-racer
Old 05-27-2002, 10:29 PM
aeroguy
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 91 c2T with an HKS controller that came with the car when I got it. I spoke with the tech guys at HKS who were very helpful in explaining the principals. I rechecked the installation because I didn't think it was working right. I then installed a 1 bar spring which will now be the minimum it will go. I think my car now runs better with the unit turned off so I'm still not sure all is right. I hope to hear about other experiences that are better.
Thanks
J Cobb 91 c2T 88 944 83 911sc cab
Old 05-28-2002, 08:40 AM
FLC2Turbo
Intermediate

FC-Racer, I had the same type of symptoms when I hooked the unit up as a single port set-up, It was "pulsing" I was confused what type of set-up we have on the car. I saw one hose connected to the WG and assumed it was a single port deal. After getting an education from Stephen at Imagineauto I re-plumbed it as a dual-port unit and have got it dialed and working well.
I had to crank to offset to get the boost I programed in to match my VDO boost gauge but I think I have a small leak in the diaphram in the waste gate and when I get time I plan on installing a Tial unit. Hope this helps. If you need more info Stephen was a great help <a href="http://www.imagineauto.com" target="_blank">www.imagineauto.com</a>

Kevin
Old 05-28-2002, 01:57 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

[quote]Originally posted by FLC2Turbo:
<strong>FC-Racer, I had the same type of symptoms when I hooked the unit up as a single port set-up, It was "pulsing" I was confused what type of set-up we have on the car. I saw one hose connected to the WG and assumed it was a single port deal. After getting an education from Stephen at Imagineauto I re-plumbed it as a dual-port unit and have got it dialed and working well.
I had to crank to offset to get the boost I programed in to match my VDO boost gauge but I think I have a small leak in the diaphram in the waste gate and when I get time I plan on installing a Tial unit. Hope this helps. If you need more info Stephen was a great help <a href="http://www.imagineauto.com" target="_blank">www.imagineauto.com</a>

Kevin</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hi Kevin,

Can you please email me more info on what you had to do. I'm at fkassam@direct.ca. Did you have to use the second port on the wastegate or was it just the stepper motor re-plumbing?

Thanks,
Farzaan
Old 05-28-2002, 02:22 PM
Ray Bahr
Track Day

Hi All,

I wanted to share my HKS experience: The application was a fairly built up (320rwhp @ 1 Bar) 944 Turbo S with a Tial Wastegate and the HKS controller. I was NEVER able to get it working perfectly. I was using the dual ported mode of operation, there were absolutly NO leaks in the system, I used both the manual and 'learning' mode for the controller. I ended up removing this system and installing a Hallmann boostcontroller which worked perfectly - I wholeheartedly support simplicity in this case - you end up loosing the cockpit adjusting feature - but that is a good thing in some cases :-) from the 'if some is good, more is way better school'

My recomendation is: For an adjustable controller go with a simple manual system , other than that get a system which has no 'fuzzy logic' aspect to it.

FWIW: The other box I got working with my Porsche is the APEXi sAFC fuel control computer - worked well...
Old 05-29-2002, 06:01 AM
fc-racer
Drifting

Thanks Kevin and Stephen from <a href="http://www.imagineauto.com" target="_blank">www.imagineauto.com</a> for the help. It's working perfect now, boosting exactly to 0.8bar and 1.05bar for low and high respectively. Use the diagram available from the HKS Europe site on setting it up for a dual port wastegate and set the switch to PO. All will be good in life then

The Andial fuel enrichment device goes on tommorow and I take it down the strip on friday to tune it.

fc-racer

Quick Reply: Setting up HKS Boost Controller...