964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Are these good upgrades - C2 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 12:10 PM
hanfrac
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Are these good upgrades - C2 Turbo

Hi. I'm considering a 91 Turbo that has the following upgrades. I'm a turbo neophyte and don't know if these are meaningful or not, from a performance, reliability, driveability, and resale standpoint. These upgrades were done to make the car better, not because of any problem:

- titanium valve spring retainers
- teflon valve stem seals
- manganese bronze valve guides
- piston and cylinder kit
- piston rings and bearings
- ceramic coat the piston tops
- RS-spec lightweight clutch/flywheel
- "x33" enhanced performance cam grind
- twin turbo steel head studs

I just don't know what this adds up to. There are other upgrades as well. I believe Imagine Auto did most of these upgrades. Would this increase or decrease the desirability of this car vs. a stock car? Thanks for any insight.
Old 03-13-2003, 12:29 PM
Ian964
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those all sound like internal engine mods, so i'm guessing it would have bolt-ons too like headers, exahust. Is piston and cylinder kit mean new pistons and cylinders? If so then those are VERY expensive. Did it incrase the displacment to 3.4 or 3.6? That car sounds like it would be very fast assuming what mods are done that you havn't listed.

If you were looking at the car as an investment and you wanted to keep it as garage queen and sell it later for what you paid for then, probably not a good choice. But if you just want a fast as hell car and you like it then why not.

I bought my Turbo with a bunch of mods on it and i'm glad I did. I would of done the mods myself overtime but this saved me thousands of dollars.
Old 03-13-2003, 12:38 PM
hanfrac
Advanced

Yes - it means new cylinders, pistons, etc. The car is supposed to be in the 410 hp range. It does not have new headers or exhaust. Doing this would increase hp to 450+.

The mods apparently cost around $16k.

I just want to have a car to fall in love with and keep for a long time. It's the right color for me (Guards Red). I've been debating a Turbo vs. a 993 cab. I was also originally contemplating a C2S/C4S, but I suspect this car may be more interesting than a 993 "S" car. I haven't owned (or driven, for that matter) a 911 turbo, but am intrigued because I want the "sense of speed." I'm not as interested in a car that is wicked fast as much as a car that gives me the feeling of speed.
Old 03-13-2003, 01:14 PM
Ian964
Pro

Hmm well if the price is right and its in good shape go for it. Can I ask what the price is? How many miles? I'd definatley get a PPI done and ask them what they think of the mods. Maybe you could get it done at Image Auto because they know the car?
Old 03-13-2003, 02:39 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

That's Michael B's car. I almost bought it, but didn't want to deal with the US/Canada customs hassles. From what I know, it's a fantastic car, and I agree, Guards Red is beautiful!

fc-racer
Old 03-13-2003, 06:15 PM
jeff91C2T
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I remember when Michael got into the motor. I think he said he had the motor out to detail it and found a broken head stud. So while he was in their...he added a few tweeks. Excellent stuff! I believe the X33 cam grinds are the same as the SC.

These upgrades add value. Especially when you factor in who did the work.
Old 03-14-2003, 05:00 PM
KeithC2Turto
Pro

Ya,

"X33 cams" sounds more sexy than just saying it has "SC cams". I think I will use that in the future. My X33 cams will go nicely with my S2 intercooler.

Would expect that the P&C kit is 3.3, 3.4 or 3.5, not 3.6 as that was not possable on a 3.3 with out using the 3.5 kit (100mm) with the 993 crank.

Sounds like a great car!!!

Keith
Old 03-16-2003, 12:38 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hanfrac,
The best person to ask about your car would be Michael B of IA as it was his car before. Not forgetting their excellent reputation and workmanship. I suspect your on a 3.4 kist with 7.5 comression. Best combo to go with. You using any fuel enrichment, boost controller? What boost you running at?
Old 09-13-2007, 02:34 PM
hanfrac
Advanced

Default May be time to sell the baby

I bought this car 4 years ago with the help of the good people on this board.

I'm thinking about moving on - I have not found a booster seat solution in the back that makes me feel good about driving more than a mile or two with my 7 or 4 year old back there. So a sedan may be the inevitable practical call.

I just checked autotrader.com to get a sense of values and it was no help. It seems like 965 values have stayed strong from 4 years ago, however - I didn't see a car listed for under $34k. Any help on what the value of this car might be? I traded email with Michael B (a previous owner of the baby) and he still feels great about the engine upgrades he made on this car back in 2000/2001 and remembers the 2001 PCA Concours win with it.

Thanks.

Frank
Menlo Park, CA
Old 09-13-2007, 08:59 PM
Colorado964turbo
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 105 Posts

Have you done any bolt on mods to it?

Bill
Old 09-13-2007, 09:09 PM
hanfrac
Advanced

I have done no mods other than to switch from R12 to R134.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:41 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Originally Posted by hanfrac
I bought this car 4 years ago with the help of the good people on this board.

I'm thinking about moving on - I have not found a booster seat solution in the back that makes me feel good about driving more than a mile or two with my 7 or 4 year old back there. So a sedan may be the inevitable practical call.

I just checked autotrader.com to get a sense of values and it was no help. It seems like 965 values have stayed strong from 4 years ago, however - I didn't see a car listed for under $34k. Any help on what the value of this car might be? I traded email with Michael B (a previous owner of the baby) and he still feels great about the engine upgrades he made on this car back in 2000/2001 and remembers the 2001 PCA Concours win with it.
Frank
Menlo Park, CA

I have a letter from PCNA saying that the seats in the rear are designed and legal to use for children. So long as their feet touch the floor they say it is acceptable and the 911 is on a list of cars that do not require rear child seats.

I had my son in the back of the turbo when he was 5 and he fit perfectly. I would not sell the car for this reason. To be honest I don't know what added protection a child seat would be in the back of a 911. If you get hit by a bigger vehicle the child seat won't add any additional protection.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:01 PM
eyue
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2 daughter ( 6yr & 7yr ) fit perfectly at the back. If not for them, a GT2 would be on my list !!! Plus I do not like to have the car too much of modification !
Old 09-14-2007, 12:07 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Originally Posted by eyue
If not for them, a GT2 would be on my list !!! !
My sentiments exactly.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:24 PM
hanfrac
Advanced

@Cobalt - good info from PCNA. I guess the question is whether that argument would work with a police office or with my wife.

Michael B. believes the mods he did on the engine/clutch/etc. enhance the value of this car vs. a totally stock car. I'm assuming a stock car with 77k miles in very good condition and a solid PPI is in the $35-40k range. Does this sound directionally right to people?

Quick Reply: Are these good upgrades - C2 Turbo