964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Advice on Purchase of 1992 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2001, 12:00 AM
Steve Smith
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Advice on Purchase of 1992 Turbo

I am looking for input from experienced Porsche purchasers or others with experience that may be applicable to my question.

I have an opportunity of purchase a 1992 Porsche Turbo Coupe with <29k miles for an asking price of $47,000.00. I have not, at this time, seen the car. But, to faclitate an answer, let us take for granted the seller's statements about the car are accurate.

This car is supposed to have had a sticker price, when new, of $110,000.00. The seller is the 3rd owner and has all records on the car since 1994. The CarFax is clear. It has most, if not all, of the options that Porsche offered on the Turbo in '92. It has had a recent 30K mile service and new Michlin Pilot's mounted. The car is completely stock and is supposed to be in perfect condition, with the exception of small rock pecks on rear fender flares and a slight rub mark on the driver's sport seat left side bolster, from entry and exit wear.

From this information and if a complete PPI substantiates the "near new" condition of the car, is the price good? Also, considering the price, would another model of the Turbo be a better buy?

What are your views?

Thanks,
TexasLeg
Old 07-24-2001, 09:40 AM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Having just purchased a '91 Turbo with 50K miles, I am at least partially qualified to provide you an answer:
$47K for a turbo in excellent condition is about right - perhaps a little low. I bought mine for less than $40K , but I think I got an excellent deal.

Original price on these cars was $90K+ so with lots of options the MSRP could indeed have topped $110K

Having the 30K service done is a plus since this would run you an additional $1K+.

I would ask to see all the receipts on the car including the most recent 30K service (make sure the valve adjustment was done). Also ask to see the maintenance book, or any other documents that show the history of the car. Ask for the option codes (under front hood) and use this link to decode: Decoder I tend to approach any purchase like this with a healthy dose of suspicion.

You didn't say if this is your first Porsche or first turbo, but you should be aware that the C2 turbo is unlike any previous Porsche. It has ABS, power steering, brake booster pumps, etc. and is much more complicated that earlier models. Since I always look at a vehicle from the perspective of what work I can reasonably do, it is my impression that the C2 turbo is not do-it-yourself friendly.

The advantages of the C2 turbo are more power and a modern suspension. It also has the 5 speed G50, but so does the '89. I would advise looking at an '89 just for comparative purposes. They are less money (which you can use to upgrade performance) and they will be easier to work on. Let me know what you decide.

See also the responses on "Long Distance Car Buying" under the 911 Forum. You will find some useful information that can be applied to any car purchase.

Quick Reply: Advice on Purchase of 1992 Turbo