Need a pic please...

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 01:25 PM
mmm951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Need a pic please...

Could someone with 91 964 turbo please take a pic of the front trunk compartment with and without the gray carpet. I might be missing some stuff in there and wanted to verify.

Thanks.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:49 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 430 Likes on 310 Posts

Here are the things that you should have:
(1) jack (stowed on clips at the front of the trunk)
(2) tool kit
(3) spare tire
(4) bag for flat tire (so you can carry it in the back seat)
(5) pair of gloves (those Germans think of everything)
(6) compressor (?)
I don't run with a spare and I don't have the bag and gloves so I won't bother taking a picture of the gaping space in my trunk
Old 07-28-2012, 08:44 AM
mmm951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
Here are the things that you should have:
(1) jack (stowed on clips at the front of the trunk)
(2) tool kit
(3) spare tire
(4) bag for flat tire (so you can carry it in the back seat)
(5) pair of gloves (those Germans think of everything)
(6) compressor (?)
I don't run with a spare and I don't have the bag and gloves so I won't bother taking a picture of the gaping space in my trunk
Thanks for the response. Now I know what I need to get to make things proper in the trunk space.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:35 PM
Bklyn964Turbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks MG...I will now check as I know I am missing at least one of those...so you just plan on calling AAA if you get a flat?...or will you use a can of tire inflate?...I don't trust those things to work but if you tell me they do let me know which one
Old 07-28-2012, 03:47 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

I carry a plug kit, jack, pair of pullers and inflater.
With the Odyssey battery and no spare or tool kit I'm down close to 80 lb off the nose to nearly match the 90 lb that switching to headers and no cat took off the rear.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:36 PM
H2O LOL
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a good idea! Im pulling my tire out tonight and replacing it with a plug kit.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:16 AM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

I know Paul disagrees with me on this but Adrian Streather writes that the spare in integral to the crash protection built into the car and I agree. I know that it is so low that most obstructions will go over it but in that rare case it would be nice to have it protecting the fuel tank. OK Paul, now you can go
Old 08-01-2012, 11:02 AM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Problem I see often with a plug kit and/or a can of fix-a-flat is that it will only work if you get a puncture in the tire. If you hit a pothole and if cuts your sidewall, you will be out of luck(as none of those two mentioned will work). AAA or as most insurance/collector insurance have is roadside assistance plus a 100 mile tow and a spare(with inflator of course)would be the safest way of traveling(especially long distance).
Old 08-01-2012, 12:30 PM
H2O LOL
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah I don't think the spare tire crush zone will matter if I wrecked my car, the water damage from me crying would surely total it.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:17 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

Yep, just pulled and 8mm bolt from the rear tire on my 996. A plug would have been hard pressed to fill that hole! These cars have no where near the crash worthiness of my 996 and further ones. I want all its got.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:12 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steven C.
I know Paul disagrees with me on this but Adrian Streather writes that the spare in integral to the crash protection built into the car and I agree. I know that it is so low that most obstructions will go over it but in that rare case it would be nice to have it protecting the fuel tank. OK Paul, now you can go
Still here Steve
I too have Streather's book. Approximately 50% of everything he wrote about Turbos is erroneous.
Look closely at the front trunk and you will see two crash-related features (1) a metal lip that sits over the spare (VIN is stamped on it) (2) a composite shield on the lower end of the fuel tank. The lip is there to keep the spare in position during crash, traveling into the sheet metal below the fuel tank. The shield is to protect the fuel tank from being breached by the spare. Shielding fuel tanks against crash intrusion is common practice in the auto industry. The spare sits on it's major axis in a crash. It's very stiff and tends to want to pierce stuff, hence the countermeasures to keep it from doing so.
Porsche will never acknowledge these things as it would be used against them in litigation so I doubt anyone with any knowledge would reveal anything to Streather.
As for un-repairable flats, you guys are trying to jinx me! I don't take long trips in my car (I have more comfortable transportation for that). For the occasional trips to western Washtinaw County I'm with other Turbos so I supposed one of those guys could loan me a spare. Fingers crossed, I won't have an issue this weekend.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:19 AM
Sharker
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Paul, you have enough good Karma in the community that you will not get a flat, and if so, people will be lining up to lend you theirs. (you will be carrying your own flat, however )

Quick Reply: Need a pic please...