11000 mile turbo 3.6 for $130000

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 11:03 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 827 Likes on 509 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC123
If I were buying a car from him today I would only use Dan Jacobs for a PPI. He is close and he is really amazing at what he does he is the expert on these cars and I rust him 100%
My car only goes to Dan for service. There is a reason the two don't get along......
Old 03-03-2012, 09:38 AM
NYC123
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by allegretto
He also had a flat brow and a 964 TS that were gone in a flash...

I know many here doubt him, but when I speak with people that either have bought cars from him or are really in the business they have a lot of respect for his cars and his word on them.

has anyone here actually bought a car from him and felt he misrepresented it?

not here to defend anyone, but so many seem to dis him and i just wonder what that's about...
I think the car in this thread is a perfect example of what to expect when dealing with him. The car is a very very nice car in terms of condition and it sure is rare with the low miles. The car was an all blk on blk car from 1994 till 2004 when a shop in Texas did all the after market interior trim work. The carbon bits were factory ordered over the counter but everything was done after market in terms of the red trim on the dash doors and seat piping. I have the invoice for all the work it was quite expensive and was done by a very high end shop and the quality is just as good as if it was done at the factory. But why knowing this would he insist on representing the car as 1 of 1 factory done car in the color combo. Clearly with an invoice dated 2004 on a 1994 car this is just not possible. Does it make the car any less nice ? No not in my mind, but if you know the facts and have them why not represent it correctly ? I think this is very typical in dealing with him. It does not in any way mean he does not get very nice cars as he quite often does.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:08 PM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Then you DID get the car you were promised in the condition you were promised?

The reason I even ask this is because I am in the Service Business as well. Sometimes people say things that are not correct, or complain because they think they are entitled to something that they were not, and often something that was not even discussed.

Then they say things that are negative, but are totally unjustified because they can, not because it is right. I'm sure many here have been victim of just such things in their lives as well.

Again, I'm not defending the guy, just asking folks who actually did business with him if he's all that bad. I may do business with him at some point and am looking for real experience, not

"stories".
While I have never dealt with him personally, I do know of a friend who has. Yes the car was as Richard described but his follow up customer service tactics are lacking. Car buying( especially collector cars) is all about the experience which includes forming positive relationships. There is no EXCUSE for bad customer service (before and after sale ) FYI mine is not a "story". I have seen the exchanges in emails. I'm not saying no one should buy a car( he does have exceptional cars ) from him but at his prices a buyer should take a trip to his dealer and verify that all necessary paper work are in
hand prior to taking ownership.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:13 PM
aweb108
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just the opposite

Originally Posted by speednme
While I have never dealt with him personally, I do know of a friend who has. Yes the car was as Richard described but his follow up customer service tactics are lacking. Car buying( especially collector cars) is all about the experience which includes forming positive relationships. There is no EXCUSE for bad customer service (before and after sale ) FYI mine is not a "story". I have seen the exchanges in emails. I'm not saying no one should buy a car( he does have exceptional cars ) from him but at his prices a buyer should take a trip to his dealer and verify that all necessary paper work are in
hand prior to taking ownership.
Richard Sloan my ask more then anyone else for a extreme low mileage car. But he has the goods. Anyone who what's a perfect example of a vintage Porsche doesn't worry about paying a little more. Remember you get what you pay for.. Regards too all.. "the haters"
Old 03-03-2012, 03:03 PM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by aweb108
Richard Sloan my ask more then anyone else for a extreme low mileage car. But he has the goods. Anyone who what's a perfect example of a vintage Porsche doesn't worry about paying a little more. Remember you get what you pay for.. Regards too all.. "the haters"
You may want to reread my comment...no one is hating. I agree he has the goods. The cars are at his dealer and he is entitled to charge whatever he wants BUT IMO good customer service( after the sale ) goes a long way. Let's face it most Porsche's( among other marks ) are emotional buys. If a great FEELING can be had with a vendor/dealer who deals in a specialized market, that vendor/dealer may have a customer( repeat business) for life. I'm no an expert but I assume that is what most businesses seek out.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:36 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 827 Likes on 509 Posts

Then you DID get the car you were promised in the condition you were promised?
No! I bought the car subject to PPI. What Farnbacher Loles missed in the PPI was that the car had been sitting for several years and the gas had turned to varnish. It took 6 months and two other shops to diagnose why the engine was running rough. Dan Jacobs ultimately replaced the fuel tank and cleaned the entire fuel system plus new injectors. Problem solved!

Technically, I accepted the car with the FL PPI results so Sloan was off the hook. I would buy from Sloan again provided Dan Jacobs would do the PPI.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:04 PM
NYC123
Banned

I also would have no issue buying from sloan I happen to like him and his passion for the cars. Simply saying that many of the small details about the cars is often not accurate in the ads thats all. I like Richard simply think you need to do your own research if the history of a particular car is important to you.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:25 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,251 Posts

Originally Posted by Y65MPH
I don't think it is OE either. I ordered a kit from FVD several years ago which looks similar to that one. I sent it back since it was designed around a 993 not a 964. The sunroof switch is in a different location on a 993.
The factory came out with a kit for the 964 first before the introduction of the 993 but it was a dealer install item only. My car has the factory exclusive kit for the 964 it was installed by Champion. I have to double check the paperwork but IIRC the cost was $7k and an additional $900 to install.

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
I bought my 964 Turbo from Sloan. The experience was "interesting" but the only two annoying parts were that a) he did not allow for me to have the PPI conducted by the garage of my choice (Dan Jacobs) and b) it took a long time for him to produce the correct title from the actual seller. He had EXACTLY the car I wanted and there were only 12 of them built for the US - what to do? Don't forget that in principle he's another used car salesman so do proper due diligence.

My purchase became a real nightmare because of Farnbacher Loles and not Richard Sloan. They are out of business now anyway so they got what they deserved.
Frank,
You are a true gentleman and I think you are being too easy on Sloan.

I think the car in this thread is a perfect example of what to expect when dealing with him. The car is a very very nice car in terms of condition and it sure is rare with the low miles. The car was an all blk on blk car from 1994 till 2004 when a shop in Texas did all the after market interior trim work. The carbon bits were factory ordered over the counter but everything was done after market in terms of the red trim on the dash doors and seat piping. I have the invoice for all the work it was quite expensive and was done by a very high end shop and the quality is just as good as if it was done at the factory. But why knowing this would he insist on representing the car as 1 of 1 factory done car in the color combo. Clearly with an invoice dated 2004 on a 1994 car this is just not possible. Does it make the car any less nice ? No not in my mind, but if you know the facts and have them why not represent it correctly ? I think this is very typical in dealing with him. It does not in any way mean he does not get very nice cars as he quite often does.
I also would have no issue buying from sloan I happen to like him and his passion for the cars. Simply saying that many of the small details about the cars is often not accurate in the ads thats all. I like Richard simply think you need to do your own research if the history of a particular car is important to you.

Sorry I would be very cautious when buying from him. If I were to buy from anyone it would be Ray Joseph or Michael Willhoit, these two you can trust to be accurate and thorough standing behind their product. I know of more than a dozen people who purchased from Richard. In every case there was some issue or another. Not every experience is extreme but at this level of pricing there shouldn't be any hiccups whatsoever.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:03 AM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Sorry I would be very cautious when buying from him. If I were to buy from anyone it would be Ray Joseph or Michael Willhoit, these two you can trust to be accurate and thorough standing behind their product. I know of more than a dozen people who purchased from Richard. In every case there was some issue or another. Not every experience is extreme but at this level of pricing there shouldn't be any hiccups whatsoever.[/QUOTE]

+964. Couldn't agree more.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:31 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone here actually done business with Wilholt. Not just "know someone" but actually wrote the check?

PM if you like and either way, thanks much!
Old 03-08-2012, 09:45 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Has anyone here actually done business with Wilholt. Not just "know someone" but actually wrote the check?

PM if you like and either way, thanks much!
I purchased my 928 GTS through Michael. All I have is praise for the man. Went out of his way to make the experience delightful and hassle free. Arranged for shipping to me with a temporary 30 day registration so I can drive it and make sure it was everything I wanted. No issues dealing with him and although I purchased the car sight unseen it was better than described.

We did have a little issue, being an older water cooled car after the end of the first day the primary hose from the coolant system began to leak. He covered the cost to replace all the hoses not just the leaking one in the car and bought my wife and I dinner out for the inconvenience. The car has been fantastic and I have no complaints.

Although you have to negotiate your deal with him each experience may vary, mine was great and I would not hesitate to buy from him again.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:39 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 184 Posts

Anthony,

How many miles are on your beauty now?

Thanks
Old 03-08-2012, 01:34 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C2 Turbo
Anthony,

How many miles are on your beauty now?

Thanks
38k+/-
Old 03-12-2012, 01:31 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sloan's peerless '94 is sold now

Just couldn't pull the trigger at that price. Beautiful car, going to Yurrip... damn.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:47 PM
NYC123
Banned

The blk blk red 94 is a fantastic condition car. Just not what is what advertised to be not a factory color combo. A factory blk blk car that somebody wanted to change after market.

Quick Reply: 11000 mile turbo 3.6 for $130000