964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Three turbo 3.6's for sale

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 02:22 PM
B&W
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Three turbo 3.6's for sale

A dealer in Ohio has 3 low mileage turbo 3.6's for sale. No price posted.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:23 PM
B&W
Advanced

Sorry, forgot the link. http://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchr...t&stkTyp=U&zc=
Old 02-24-2012, 03:33 PM
dm 3.6 turbo
Instructor

And 3 color choices to chose from...
Old 02-24-2012, 03:51 PM
Sharker
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Prices not posted.. But I talked to him about the black one, and the response was "Thank you for the inquiry. The 94 3.6 is going through a full service. The final pricing has yet to be determined. Our best guess will be in the mid 90"
Old 02-24-2012, 04:12 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 827 Likes on 509 Posts

Prices on these Turbo 3.6 models have been skyrocketing--don't get caught out! Start outside with the beautiful paint. It's not 100% perfect but it's damn close. All original panels and paint flow from one end to the other.
There are some other nice cars on that site.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:02 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

From the looks of everything else he's selling, those 3.6's will be seriously overpriced
Old 02-25-2012, 06:53 AM
Porschegroove
Advanced

If they have original paint and all sorted these prices are not out of line. I'm not sure that is the case though.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:47 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschegroove
If they have original paint and all sorted these prices are not out of line. I'm not sure that is the case though.
Very few cars are "all sorted". Most owners are too cheap to do what it takes.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:26 PM
Y65MPH
Pro

Both Silver and Black were sold over a month ago. Red is available.

I am not one to drink the cool-aid when it comes to the value of a car that I own, but I am shocked at where the values of these cars have gone. Its hard to get a good 3.3T for less than 50K right now.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:04 PM
pettybird
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey all--

My name's Doug and I work for that dealer, R&H Motorcars. I write the descriptions and take the pictures, so if you find anything wrong in the ads PM me and bust my chops!

We're as shocked as you are about the prices. The boss asked me last fall what a 3.6 was worth, and I told him $50k. He asked what a 3.3 would go for, and I told him $30k. Apparently, I hadn't been following the market very closely....

We're not trying to set or create the prices for these cars, but we can't help that they're flying right now. As posted above, the black and silver cars are sold, as are the previous red one and the midnight blue one (MY favorite) that we sold in the fall. We've also torn through a number of 965's and 930's. If you HAVE a 3.6, congratulations, and if not, I don't know if this is sustainable growth or an anomaly...my guess is that you'll need to be prepared to spend.

The boss is VERY particular about sending out the best cars we can. To that end, we replace anything that even looks like it COULD be a problem. We also try to keep these cars as Porsche as possible, and that means a lot of dealer-sourced parts. He even recently bought an $18,000 dry ice blaster to do undercarriage detailing.

The black car is back together again now that its final piece, a heater hose, is in from Germany. It and the silver car will most likely ship out later this week. I'm sad to see them go--I'm a HUGE Porsche nut, and the 3.6 is probably my favorite 911 of all time.

Below are some pictures of the red car, its motor, and the box of stuff that it's going to get. Notice most of the parts are in Porsche boxes. We do a FULL 30K and repair any oil leaks. This motor, like the black and silver before it, needs to get torn down for leaking cam chain end seals. The turbo is going to Evergreen for a rebuild due to a minor oil leak. The supply line to the turbo has to be the dumbest piece of engineering on the car, and all three have new ones. We get into stupid parts, too--what other dealer replaces the air injection pump filter?

We also clean the hell out of the cars when they're apart. We media blast and paint all of the engine tins with high temp paint, and even insulate above the turbo to keep it from blistering again. We detail the rotors and calipers, with the rotors getting sanded/blasted and the hubs painted with high temp paint. We replace those little plastic upper door end trim pieces, the hood and hatch shocks, and we even stock the little valve stem supports for the wheels. We've replaced the rocker trim strips (due to shrinkage,) the fog lamp trim, and a number of bolts and nuts that simply weren't "gold" enough any more. No car can be perfect--especially an older, air cooled Porsche--but we try very, very hard.

Take a look at the pictures and you'll see what I mean.

The transmission and CIS head were blasted with dry ice (obviously, masked off.) You can see how gentle it is--the factory grease pencil markings are still on top!

When I started a couple years ago, there were some seriously impressive Ferraris and a pile of muscle cars. I got hired because of what I knew about the Mopars (I grew up with them) and now that we've moved towards a heavy collection of Porsches I'm thrilled.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:00 PM
gt3lbn
Advanced

great work.. love the dry ice blaster.. is this a common process?
Old 02-27-2012, 04:32 PM
pettybird
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No--most shops find it prohibitively expensive!

Look up 'dry ice blasting' on youtube--it's mostly used for antique restoration and to clean fire damage. It's a gentle enough to clean dirt from the pages of vintage books. It's wild how it works--it actually freezes the dirt and the next blast lifts it away.

It makes a LOT of noise and takes around a 25hp air compressor to keep up. And that's on top of the $18,000 for the machine....

here are some "during" shots:

Old 02-27-2012, 07:58 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 827 Likes on 509 Posts

Can I bring my car to have it detailed?
Old 02-28-2012, 12:56 AM
e6tme
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for posting pettybird. Just to clarify, you currently have the black 18K 3.6 and the red 32K 3.6 available... is that right?
Old 02-28-2012, 09:07 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 155 Posts

What is the big secret on not posting the asking price of these cars? Are they for sale or not? Sheesh...typical games that dealers play.

Quick Reply: Three turbo 3.6's for sale