964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Three turbo 3.6's for sale

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 08:11 PM
e6tme
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Pettybird
Again, thanks for posting, its good to get your input. I'm a little confused with what you have to say however. Most of it sounds reasonable, like you are a straight shooter. But from what I can gather your dealership has 3 94 turbos on premises, all of which are apart in various states of "freshening". You can't provide a price on the car that is available, yet the two other cars are apparently sold.

How is this possible? Were the buyers not given a price on the cars they have committed to buy? That seems to be a fairly uncommon way of doing business. And if these buyers were given prices, why can't you quote a price on the red one?

Also your claim that taking in deposits for cars will provide your dealership with added capital to further bolster its inventory seems a little suspect, given the size of your facility and the value of stock already on hand.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:24 AM
Sharker
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Want to add more fuel to the fire?

Two more cars were listed yesterday

http://www.duPontREGISTRY.com/autos/...itemid=1173966

and

http://www.duPontREGISTRY.com/autos/...itemid=1173968

Let the Discussions Begin
Old 03-02-2012, 12:06 PM
pettybird
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just one...the '94 was previously discussed (and sold) but the '91 is fresh. Those are just the preliminary pictures, too--the car wasn't buffed, it has a couple oil leaks, it needs some service work...I think you guys have heard that before

I'll have some before/after pictures of the ice blasting, too--I thought the car wouldn't clean up and it looks factory fresh.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:12 PM
Sharker
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dupont just sent me both postings as new..My Bad
Old 03-02-2012, 01:01 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

ambiguity is a funny thing

I rather like that the car is offered and the price will be discussed when the work is done. If you want the car put down a refundable deposit. If you don't like the price, walk...

There is no MSRP for these vehicles, just "value" perceived by two parties. Capitalism at its finest

FWIW, these prices will be a bargain in a year. The 991 is such a disappointment.

Does anyone know how many 3.6's were made? How many made it to the US?
Old 03-02-2012, 01:19 PM
pettybird
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by e6tme
Pettybird
Again, thanks for posting, its good to get your input. I'm a little confused with what you have to say however. Most of it sounds reasonable, like you are a straight shooter. But from what I can gather your dealership has 3 94 turbos on premises, all of which are apart in various states of "freshening". You can't provide a price on the car that is available, yet the two other cars are apparently sold.

How is this possible? Were the buyers not given a price on the cars they have committed to buy? That seems to be a fairly uncommon way of doing business. And if these buyers were given prices, why can't you quote a price on the red one?

Also your claim that taking in deposits for cars will provide your dealership with added capital to further bolster its inventory seems a little suspect, given the size of your facility and the value of stock already on hand.

The silver car went away yesterday...I'm going to miss it. The black car is fully paid for and is buffed and prepped to go, though the exhaust is off for ceramic coating at the request of its new owner. The red car, as noted previously, is in pieces and a final price has not been determined. We have a LOT of interest in the car, and people are willing to put refundable deposits on them in order to hold their place in line.

These cars are trading on frenzy, speculation and desire. Items like that (think fresh Ferrari releases) always have deposits put down before prices are set. The CGT and 918 were the same way. The new owners of both the red and silver cars had deposits in place before the cars were finished.

I was chided by the boss for saying we use deposit money for new purchases. What I should have said is that the sooner we have cars listed, the sooner we sell them, and that drives turnover. The deposits we take aren't usually enough to cover anything substantial. That was entirely my mistake, and is not a reflection on how we do business.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:22 PM
pettybird
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by toddturbos
Your company obviously takes pride in presenting the best used car possible and goes over and above the call of duty with respects to investing in its equipment. Having said that, a true Porsche collector would prefer that it’s left in original condition, which includes the factor applied under coating that you’re removing with the dry ice plaster. I had taken my TTS to a private mechanic and he decided to do me a favor and remove this coating, which I wasn’t too happy about.

Just my two cents.
Todd
We get this, too. If the cars had 250 miles, we'd leave it, and we have. These cars, with 15-40k miles, look horrible underneath. If I wanted one of these to drive everywhere, I'd want it left for the protection alone. Since these are going to be show pieces which are rarely driven, it adds value in the eyes of the people who are buying them. Maybe I can talk the boss into a Cosmoline setup to put fresh stuff back on!
Old 03-04-2012, 12:48 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by pettybird
These cars are trading on frenzy, speculation and desire.
So where is the market at in the US? Last year, there was at least one 'average' Turbo 3.6 offered around USD 65,000. Who's buying them, drivers or collectors?

FWiW The 12 or so Turbo 3.6s in New Zealand seem to have disappeared from the roads and the market.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:59 AM
ELPORSCHA
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by allegretto
ambiguity is a funny thing

I rather like that the car is offered and the price will be discussed when the work is done. If you want the car put down a refundable deposit. If you don't like the price, walk...

There is no MSRP for these vehicles, just "value" perceived by two parties. Capitalism at its finest

FWIW, these prices will be a bargain in a year. The 991 is such a disappointment.

Does anyone know how many 3.6's were made? How many made it to the US?

oooo

Here is a quote from one Porsche AG employee!

"The new 991 for me is a let down kinda Ausitn Martin / Jaguar stylish and too much of a grand touring car ... (Porsche) not a true sports car anymore"!

oooooo
Old 03-04-2012, 10:13 AM
tasracer
Burning Brakes

466 to us for 3.6 turbo?
Old 03-04-2012, 10:04 PM
Francisco Martinez
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

less than 500 3.6's made it to the US.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:52 PM
turbo3.6
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ELPORSCHA
oooo

Here is a quote from one Porsche AG employee!

"The new 991 for me is a let down kinda Ausitn Martin / Jaguar stylish and too much of a grand touring car ... (Porsche) not a true sports car anymore"!

oooooo
That's Aston Martin...

Quick Reply: Three turbo 3.6's for sale