964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Speedline leaking Air - How to fix??

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 10:53 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 892 Likes on 546 Posts
Default Speedline leaking Air - How to fix??

I have had a very very slow (but annoying) leak in one of my front Speedline wheels. Now that the car is put away for the winter I am considering tackling the wheel and have figured out that the leak is coming from two small areas where the outer piece is mated to the center piece:

The two leaks coincide with the location of two bolts, however there is no leakage from the bolts themselves. How do I best fix this?

1) Take off the tire and use Silicone in the area where the two pieces meet without taking the wheel apart?
2) 1) plus remove and reinstall the two bolts?
3) Can only be fixed by completely disassembling the wheel?

BTW - I researched some of the old threads on Speedline refurbishment. Especially JamesE's Speedline restoration thread was helpful.

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-turb...e-project.html
Old 11-19-2010, 02:46 AM
jim dorociak
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First dismount the tire. Clean around the joint where the inner and outer rims join (inside the wheel where the tire normally resides. You should see either a red or black rubber gasket that goes all the way around the tire. That is the "rubber O ring that seals the wheel. That is what is leaking, not the bolts. You can clean what is visible of this O ring, and then put a bead of sealant around the entire O ring between the joint between the rim halves to seal (this can get messy). Allow at least 24 hrs before mounting the tire. Jim
Old 11-19-2010, 07:29 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 892 Likes on 546 Posts

Just ordered Toyota 102 FIPG for a sealant. It does not contain silicone (which shrinks as it cures).

Last edited by Frank 993 C4S; 11-19-2010 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:29 PM
porshah
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am having the same issue with one of my speedline wheel also. I purchased a set of Metal and Rubber O rings, and had it replaced by a well respected shop in NJ. Issue still exists. Like you said, very slow but annoying.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:58 AM
jim dorociak
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

porshah - Why would you replace the metal crush ring? It simply holds the O ring. FVD? As I remember it all gets really expensive to replace the O ring and crush. When Speedline made the Daytona wheels for Techart they used the original Speedline O ring and aluminum crush ring followed by a bead of silicone on top. This is how I re seal all the Speedline wheels that I restore. Jim
Old 11-21-2010, 09:50 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Use black silicone don't bother with special stuff.
Clean area, run a strip of it around the wheel, press a bit with a spatula. Let is be for 8 hours. Inflate. Done.
Plus silicone is easy to remove later if you ever change seals.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:18 PM
porshah
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jim dorociak
porshah - Why would you replace the metal crush ring? It simply holds the O ring. FVD? As I remember it all gets really expensive to replace the O ring and crush. When Speedline made the Daytona wheels for Techart they used the original Speedline O ring and aluminum crush ring followed by a bead of silicone on top. This is how I re seal all the Speedline wheels that I restore. Jim
I didn't know any better. Yes, FVD. Didn't think it could be reused.

Quick Reply: Speedline leaking Air - How to fix??