964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

'94 USA "Package Version" For Sale

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 07:37 PM
965pkg
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Just like the crazy 73 RS market a matching numbers car vs a fully restored non matching numbers car still both bring multiple times MSRP.

I think you will find that any of the turbo S cars will exceed MSRP for average cars in the future although your VW jetta might be $100k too by then.
That's the speculation that drove people to buy a GT3RS for $150k (or more) a couple of years ago. They must be feeling great about their decision now.

Sloan sold a turbo S package car last year with similar mileage for under $100k. But there is always the speculators ...
Old 12-03-2009, 11:07 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,050 Likes on 1,230 Posts

Originally Posted by 965pkg
That's the speculation that drove people to buy a GT3RS for $150k (or more) a couple of years ago. They must be feeling great about their decision now.

Sloan sold a turbo S package car last year with similar mileage for under $100k. But there is always the speculators ...
Well I could have told you that was a mistake. Too many built and too high a risk that a new model will follow that will be better and way too similar to the previous. It also takes many years for these cars to be appreciated and even your 73 RS's were not commanding anywhere near their current asking prices 15 years after their production release. Buying a GT3 RS new was no smarter than buying a 94 turbo S new as an investment. Although now that the turbo S's have hit their bell curve bottom these cars will eventually show increased value over time. How much time and how much inflation comes into play is anyone's guess.

BTW which car did Sloane sell for less than $100k. I know of most of the turbo S's that changed hands last year and one or 2 of them are on this forum. It was my understanding this car was one of the ones that traded for the least amount of $$ and I was told it sold for more than $100k, but I can't say for sure.

This particular model is still one of only 17 built in this configuration for the world. Unlike the flachbau version of the turbo S which has the 39 US variants and the 78 or so ROW flachbau turbo S's. This puts it in the same category as the very rare Japanese Turbo S and although not quite as strong as the 3.8RS market of this same vintage there are fewer available. This also has the distinction of being the last of the single turbo RWD cars with the 3.6 motor only available for the 2 years production (row) or the single year 94 for the US with a total of only 466 US turbo 3.6's (including all turbo S's and the numerous cars sold other than in the US and used for racing) it is a relatively rare Porsche by itself. there are probably less than 300 3.6 turbos left in the US including all of the turbo S's so I see this as being much different than the GT3RS which was a great car but a bad investment.

So you can disagree because none of us know what the market will do and IMO buying cars built after the 70's, most cars in fact, as an investment is a dangerous way of investing your money. This is still a rare car at a low point in its value and assuming the economy recoups you could find even with some damage this car will be worth more in the future. I for one would prefer a package car over the flachbau but my stock 3.6 is rare enough for me and I can still drive it knowing it is a one of a kind.

Quick Reply: '94 USA "Package Version" For Sale