964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Msd programable ignition

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 09:25 PM
al 965
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Msd programable ignition

Has anyone here converted a 964 turbo over to a msd programable ignition(or other type), and retained the cis fuel system? What factory parts could you remove and what would you have to retain to make it work. Thanks
Old 09-28-2009, 05:51 PM
jrgatfh
Instructor

Forgive my lack of knowledge but what is the advantage/benefit of this? Not questioning you or anything just genuinely interested.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:06 PM
al 965
Instructor

You could program your timming curve for advance and retard as turbo boost comes in. And also if you have a factory part of the ignition system fail you will spend a lot more money to replace it than you can buy a modern programable ignition system for. You can also program a lot better timming map than the factory EZ69 does.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:32 AM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

In theory you use an MSd or similar but you still can't adjust fuel as you move timing.( as in full EFI )
The Ez 69 has a timing map that does pull timing on boost and is mapped for the CIS fuel curve. it is safe with reasonable boost ..the problem is that the map is unknown.

In My 3.6T the EFI i have an MSD with stock Dizzy . The ECU is a Haltech which controls timing, and fuel, and Boost under all different engine conditions.
Elliot
Old 10-02-2009, 08:30 AM
al 965
Instructor

Elliot I have the digital wur that I can control the fuel with and if I could control the ignition I wouldn't need the the ez 69, and I don't know what else could be deleted, as you are doing with your Haltech. The msd programable 6al can control the timming on boost as the Haltech or the ez69 does. Thanks AL
Old 10-02-2009, 09:51 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by al 965
Elliot I have the digital wur that I can control the fuel with and if I could control the ignition I wouldn't need the the ez 69, and I don't know what else could be deleted, as you are doing with your Haltech. The msd programable 6al can control the timming on boost as the Haltech or the ez69 does. Thanks AL
Al,
I'm not familiar with the Digital WUR but it sounds like it will work . is there a software interface for the MSD and the WUR so you can develop a custom map?

Elliot
Old 10-03-2009, 09:27 AM
al 965
Instructor

Elliot the digital wur has it's software that you load on to a computer and plot your own fuel curve map by using a lm1 or other wide band afr monitering device and you can make runs and put the info on a graft type read out and then hook the wur to the computer and make changes to get your desired afr readings . I have not read enough , but am told the programable msd ignition controller works in the same principle with software to make your ing. map with ability to pull 25 deg. out on boost if needed. The problem is finding out on our cars with all of the controlers under the drivers seat and the ez69 where do you start? I doubt that anyone @ msd has ever tried this with our cars or has the expertice to give you much help. I would imagine that Stephen @ IA would probably have some great input as I think or heard he is using a Tech ecu to do this with his car for progaming the ing.and still running cis,but I p.m. him and have had no reply. AL
Old 10-03-2009, 07:54 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

sounds like it would work. Under the seat you have acceleration enrichment control, O2 sensor control , and Turbo charger control .

all are related to fuel and not ignition.
I would check with Geoffry, he probaly has the answer.
Elliot
Old 10-04-2009, 01:41 PM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 220 Likes on 111 Posts

Even a small mistake will be very expensive! Just do the EFI conversion, it will be cheaper in the long run.

Quick Reply: Msd programable ignition