3.6 turbo (Damage HELP) pics.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 06:29 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by jonizz
no, thats a bit difficult because I live on the other side of the ocean.

I also think these cars are worth a bit of (possible) work. I know what you think. I'm taking a big risk by buying this car, but I am willing to take it.

I just love 3.6 turbo's. There is no substitute. It's the last true big boys turbo.

I will keep you posted....
Many congrats on your car and your taste, however your approach sounds a bit crazy.

I bought my RSA last year in Los Angeles and it was no problem to arrange a PPI with a qualified shop by phone and e-mail. Curious to know how it turns out - please let us know.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:43 AM
jonizz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been quite a while since my last update, but I will tell you why.
I will try to keep it brief....

As you know I bought the car from a car dealer in New Jersey and they send it over to the shipping company. And there the horror begins.
A few days before the car was suposed to be shipped some motherf*^%ers tried to steal the car. The car has a double anti theft system so they couldn't get it started. Instead of stealen the car then they started damaging it

I ended up with a prelimenary estimate of the damage from around $14000. The dashboard is damaged, the locks, the stereo system, the front and rear bumper, the rear indicator lights (also the reflector), the engine lid and some other scratches on the car.

The shipping company is now trying to settle with a pathetic $4000. What do you guys think of that.
Do you guys think it's a good idea to sue the shipping company or should I take the 4 grand.

I hope you have some advice for me. Luckely the car is now at the Porsche dealer and not at the shipping company.

I will try to post some pictures later..

Please advise me on this one

Last edited by jonizz; 09-07-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:00 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Advice: Say no to the shipping company until your tongue bleeds.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:41 AM
Bklyn964Turbo
Racer

Seek legal advice....say no to the shipping company...I am curious as to how or why the vehicle wasn't secure.
  1. What value was assigned to the car for shipping?
  2. Why are they low balling the damage?
  3. I am certain Ray Catena ships cars abroad. Who do they use?
  4. Change shipping companies

That car had been for sale for quite some time and as Cobalt said in an earlier post...when it sticks around that long typically something is wrong. Maybe the car is cursed!

...just joking but sorry to hear about the incident.

Clearly weren't professional thieves...too stupid or too green to steal it so since you can't have it you now have to damage it.

They suck!
Old 09-07-2009, 11:12 AM
Vifa
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

During that kind of damage to a car should be equal to 100+ years in jail !
Old 09-07-2009, 11:21 AM
jonizz
Instructor

here's one picture of the rear end.
Attached Images  
Old 09-07-2009, 11:28 AM
jonizz
Instructor

and some more pics
Attached Images     
Old 09-07-2009, 11:52 AM
mishpet
Intermediate

once the shipping company takes delivery of your car they should make sure that it is kept in a bonded area with only there own people and customs able to gain access to the vehicle.good job nobody planted any drugs or weapons in your car.as for the shipping company,write a very strong letter and bombard them with phone calls untill you get some satisfaction if that does not work go legal.good luck
Old 09-07-2009, 01:17 PM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

The shipping co should be insured.
Who instructed them, you or the seller?
There must be a contract with written terms that will cover what insurance was in place and who is responsible and when.
If your estimate is for $14000 and their offer is for $4000, the insurer would send a loss adjuster to assess. Or maybe you should demand this.
All sounds very strange.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:49 PM
jonizz
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911addict
The shipping co should be insured.
Who instructed them, you or the seller?
There must be a contract with written terms that will cover what insurance was in place and who is responsible and when.
If your estimate is for $14000 and their offer is for $4000, the insurer would send a loss adjuster to assess. Or maybe you should demand this.
All sounds very strange.
The seller instructed the shipping company to ship the car to the Netherlands.

Last edited by jonizz; 09-07-2009 at 02:07 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:22 PM
JRRSA
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Sorry to hear about this. It hurts to look at those pictures.

I agree with 911addict. There has to be a contract with the seller and the shipping company where the shipping company accepted responsibility for the car until you signed off at the final destination.

Good luck to you.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:17 PM
jonizz
Instructor

Thanks for your advice..I will do my best to get justice
To be continiued......
Old 09-10-2009, 11:12 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 494 Posts

As I already said above, you took some big risks with the way you went about the purchase and I am sorry that you ran into problems.

Now to some constructive help:

- If your deal with the seller was the shipment of the car to the Netherlands, then the seller is on the hook for making sure it is insured and taken care of while it is in his custody.
- Insurance is always seperate from the ocean shippment and you should have insurance documents that declare a value and a deductible. If you don't and have a contract with the seller for shipment, then you should have recourse to the seller.
- If the car was still in the care of the seller when it was vandalized, then I would assume that the seller would have a responsibility for safekeeping of the vehicle

My advice is to get a local attorney to sort this out for you. If the damage is $14,000, an offer of $4,000 just doesn't sound right. This way, you have someone local in the right time zone to deal with this on your behalf. The only good part I see is that all of this can be easily repaired. It will just be a matter of $$$. Just be sure that the car is insured and in a secure area now to protect it from further problems.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:18 PM
ricster
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn good luck. I would be pissed beyond belief
Old 09-10-2009, 04:53 PM
jonizz
Instructor

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
As I already said above, you took some big risks with the way you went about the purchase and I am sorry that you ran into problems.

Now to some constructive help:

- If your deal with the seller was the shipment of the car to the Netherlands, then the seller is on the hook for making sure it is insured and taken care of while it is in his custody.
- Insurance is always seperate from the ocean shippment and you should have insurance documents that declare a value and a deductible. If you don't and have a contract with the seller for shipment, then you should have recourse to the seller.
- If the car was still in the care of the seller when it was vandalized, then I would assume that the seller would have a responsibility for safekeeping of the vehicle

My advice is to get a local attorney to sort this out for you. If the damage is $14,000, an offer of $4,000 just doesn't sound right. This way, you have someone local in the right time zone to deal with this on your behalf. The only good part I see is that all of this can be easily repaired. It will just be a matter of $$$. Just be sure that the car is insured and in a secure area now to protect it from further problems.
I am pissed that's for sure...
I now have a local attorney who is going to sort thing out for me. And the porsche dealer is very helpfull. I will keep you posted as time goes on.

I also got the policereport from the local police dept. They told me that the thieves took three cars that night, but they didn't manage to take my Porsche.

Quick Reply: 3.6 turbo (Damage HELP) pics.