Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Noise from engine + oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 10:45 AM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When the engine is hot you should see about 2 bar of oil pressure at idle, more when cold.
So there seems to be no problem with your oil pressure at idle.

Like Steve wrote, check to see if there is any play at the alternator shaft.

Also check that fan belt for damage and make sure it's "pretty tight".

Another thing that could be a problem is the pulley driving the fan, the bolt can be slightly loose. Y
ou can't really check the bolt from above, but you should probably be able to get a hand down there and try to wiggle it. Should be rock steady.

If you have trouble finding the source of the sound and isn't playing doctor on a regular basis, use a hose to listen through, it works too.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:42 PM
Vince964T
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello. How loud is that vibrating noise ? I remember when I 1st bought the car I had that kind of noise to, it was not very loud. It only came after the engine warmed up. I could only hear it at idle. While driving the engine noise would cover it or simply it was not there anymore.

Unfortunalty I have no clue what it was since I decided to just drive and stop worrying.
I do think it went away when I had the AC compressor removed (not that I would suggest that as a fix to anything ;-) )
Old 05-08-2009, 12:03 PM
Vifa
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Staffan. Very good suggestions.

[Vince964T] Very loud. So loud that you can hear it even while driving.

Another strange thing occured last night. Even though there should be, it seems like there is no oil on the car. For the last two drives I have had in the car, the Oil Level Gauge and the Oil Temp Gauge haven't shown any sign of life until after about 15 min of driving. But when they did, the Oil Level Gauge showed half full. I never really gave this a thought, and I don't think this is connected with the noise.

But I decided to pull out the oil dipstick last night just to check. I know it would be best to take the car for a spin to get it to operating temp before checking the oil level, but I can't do that. So I let the car idle for a couple of mins, and then pulled out the dipstick. Not much sign of oil on it.

The Oil Pressure Gauge is not dead at all when I start the car, it immediately jumps to 4-5.

On the basis on checking the oil with a 'cold' engine and the sometimes misleading gauges (but the pressure going up at idle), can it be that I have no oil at all?

Last edited by Vifa; 05-08-2009 at 12:35 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:33 PM
tjr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vifa
Thanks Staffan. Very good suggestions.

[Vince964T] Very loud. So loud that you can hear it even while driving.

Another strange thing occured last night. Even though there should be, it seems like there is no oil on the car. For the last two drives I have had in the car, the Oil Level Gauge and the Oil Temp Gauge haven't shown any sign of life until after about 15 min of driving. But when they did, the Oil Level Gauge showed half full. I never really gave this a thought, and I don't think this is connected with the noise.

But I decided to pull out the oil dipstick last night just to check. I know it would be best to take the car for a spin to get it to operating temp before checking the oil level, but I can't do that. So I let the car idle for a couple of mins, and then pulled out the dipstick. Not much sign of oil on it.

The Oil Pressure Gauge is not dead at all when I start the car, it immediately jumps to 4-5.

On the basis on checking the oil with a 'cold' engine and the sometimes misleading gauges (but the pressure going up at idle), can it be that I have no oil at all?
The car holds 11 litres of oil so unless there has been a massive leak there is still lots of oil in there - if it was empty, the engine would overheat very quickly and then seize. There is no point at all checking the oil level when the car has been idling for only a few minutes - you have to get it hot otherwise the reading is useless. As you said, it can take a good 15 minutes for the oil temperature guage to move - once it gets well past the 2nd mark, then it is warm and the oil thermostat should open. At this point, and when the car is idling, you should see the oil level guage start to register the level and you can then doble check using the dipstick. If your level showed 1/2 full, then it is fine - I run mine between about 1/3 and 2/3.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:00 PM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 95 Posts

I would'nt guarantee there's plenty oil just because the guage doesnt register...yes they can be slow
until warm and thermostat opens in cooling system..
If the tank also doesn't register on the stick it could be more than two quarts low maybe much more...
Old 05-08-2009, 06:29 PM
duxducis
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the noise disappear when rev engine? Does it get louder gradually as the car warms up?
Old 06-05-2009, 08:35 AM
Vifa
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

A little update:

Problem has been located, and will be solved soon.

Just as you suggested Sal 965, the alternator had som play - but it was very little. Not sure what, but something was loose, and my mechaninc will try Loctice to keep it 100 % tight again.

Quick Reply: Noise from engine + oil leak