Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

K29 upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 02:11 PM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vincent, (still thinking about "he has a stronger engine but my car is easier to drive", what is that suppose to mean, lol), anyway, what kind of turbo did that swiss guy use (315 rear tyre guy)?

Have you asked about what turbo to use on the Racing forum and/or the 930 forum?
Old 02-25-2009, 04:27 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

I'm a long way from IA but I didn't let that stop me getting an HFS.

Have you also considered a Garrett GT series turbo? Tial make a nice lightweight housing to go with them too.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:21 PM
Vince964T
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Staffan
Vincent, (still thinking about "he has a stronger engine but my car is easier to drive", what is that suppose to mean, lol), anyway, what kind of turbo did that swiss guy use (315 rear tyre guy)?

Have you asked about what turbo to use on the Racing forum and/or the 930 forum?
hehe it means I could not keep up on the straight (wtb new turbo ) but I could in the turns and I do not think I am a better driver than you are so my car has to be easier to drive

Denis had a K29 I am 99,9% sure. He also had other cam shafts and original gear box and he did complain the power came late and very suddenly.

I ll browse the 930 forum tomorrow at work then.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:25 PM
Vince964T
Racer

Originally Posted by nathanUK '81 930 G50
I'm a long way from IA but I didn't let that stop me getting an HFS.

Have you also considered a Garrett GT series turbo? Tial make a nice lightweight housing to go with them too.
But I am such a lazy guy.
Just looking at the paper work to import that turbo from the US

Yes I looked quickly at the garrett turbos, they are the ones that need water cooling right ? Looked like a more complex solution (never good) and if I say something is water cooled in my car I know a guy or to who will not want to talkj to me ever again (joke mode)
Old 02-26-2009, 09:37 AM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Vincent, based on the tracks you drive at I wouldn't think the K29 would be optimal for you due to the slower spool, but it's more of a qualified guess.

With little doubt my HF is giving me better lap times on the faster tracks compared with the stock turbo, but the spool is noticably slower (which my logging confirms).

There are ways getting around customs fees and VAT if you decides to import an IA/Kevin turbo from US but personally I think the biggest concern is that you have to send it to USA for renovation, at least thats what Kevin claims (I had my HF renovated in a local turbo shop though). Still, this should probably be an option for you.

I agree with Nathan about considering looking into Garret turbos.
There are information on this forum about Garret, probably more on Pelican and I will PM you a name of a swedish guy that has experience of Garret turbos for Porsches. In my thread on the rejsa.nu forum there are discussions about what Garret turbo to choose, installation and life time implications etc.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:41 AM
Vince964T
Racer

Great I get to read that 140 pages thread again to find where it was ;-)
I am kind of hoping the shorter gear ratio in the 993 gear box would take care of this...
Old 02-26-2009, 10:51 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,090 Likes on 1,255 Posts

Originally Posted by Staffan

With little doubt my HF is giving me better lap times on the faster tracks compared with the stock turbo, but the spool is noticably slower (which my logging confirms).
Noticeably slower. I have only heard of one other person say that. I find spool up has dropped considerably with a more controllable pedal with the HF. Far less on off feeling and boost starts to build as low as 1000 rpms with full boost by 3200. This was running a full cat. Now that the cat has been removed spool up is far quicker and boost is on much lower but I don't have any charts to compare right now.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:27 PM
Vince964T
Racer

Ok I have been reading a lot again and the more I read the more difficult it gets to decide.
Garret definitly seem to have really good products but my favo mechanic certainly has no experience of these turbos. So Staffan if you have some contacts that may be helpfull ^^
Old 02-27-2009, 03:28 PM
charge
Track Day

Hi Vince, my first post here, just for you.
It just so happens i have a new in box K27/29 hybrid turbo for sale. It was on Pistonheads for sale and had a bit of interest, but it needs the right car.
Universal Turbos built this unit and testify it as a good tried and tested upgrade (the guy told me they used these on some Gruppe B cars?)
27 inlet side for quick spool, 29 for the top end punch.
I have the same turbo on my car now, power gets on just before 3k and is quite a low lag unit ( surprises everyone in my car, even seasoned twin turbo boys used to early spoolup)
Bought it as a spare but could do with a clear out.
I have photos ect I can mail to you.
Looking for £800.
Cheers Lee
Old 02-27-2009, 04:33 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by charge
Hi Vince, my first post here, just for you.
Cheers Lee
Lee,

I don''t have an issue but Internet brands might with a new user posting items for sale. You might try to PM him about this.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:24 AM
charge
Track Day

Sorry, you are perfecly right.
It is just that when I read through the thread, and realised I could have the ideal solution for what Vince might be after, I jumped the gun.
Tell you what a compleat novice I am, it was only when I looked at the post time was 5-6 hours behind my local time I realised you must be in the U.S of A.
Couldn't tell any accent through the post's see! Can you? Cor blimee apples n pairs dog n bone gawd bless yer
Old 02-28-2009, 10:20 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by charge
Sorry, you are perfecly right.
It is just that when I read through the thread, and realised I could have the ideal solution for what Vince might be after, I jumped the gun.
Tell you what a compleat novice I am, it was only when I looked at the post time was 5-6 hours behind my local time I realised you must be in the U.S of A.
Couldn't tell any accent through the post's see! Can you? Cor blimee apples n pairs dog n bone gawd bless yer

Good luck
Old 02-28-2009, 12:09 PM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cobalt
Noticeably slower. I have only heard of one other person say that. I find spool up has dropped considerably with a more controllable pedal with the HF. Far less on off feeling and boost starts to build as low as 1000 rpms with full boost by 3200. This was running a full cat. Now that the cat has been removed spool up is far quicker and boost is on much lower but I don't have any charts to compare right now.
When I posted my graph (a couple of years ago) I was contacted by a few Rennlisters with the same experience as myself, but I agree most people seems to experience a faster spool like yourself. Have you seen any comparison where the only difference before/after is the turbo (part from mine), I haven't?

Overall I like the turbo though, more predictable spool up and it can sustain sufficent boost at high revs. The extra power is definitly an advantage on faster tracks.
Cheers
Old 02-28-2009, 06:20 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Vince964T, send me a email, I have a few new HyFlow "S" being built right now.

Staffan your tests that you ran years ago were with the factory CAT and stock exhaust.. That should be noted with your disclaimer. A person that runs a more efficient exhaust system will allow the turbine section to spool up quicker.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:39 PM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kevin
Staffan your tests that you ran years ago were with the factory CAT and stock exhaust.. That should be noted with your disclaimer. A person that runs a more efficient exhaust system will allow the turbine section to spool up quicker.
Can't disagree with you there

Quick Reply: K29 upgrade