OT: Surprise!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 02:22 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: Surprise!

Got to work later than usual this morning, around 9:30, and noticed my boss packing his belongings into a cardboard box. Uh oh. Then I see two more coworkers packing their stuff. Yep, they always do it on a Friday...

In short, 30 people were cut today, including me. The writing was on the wall, the company's sales were 50% shy the past three months in a row (consumer products company, it's bad out there!) On the bright side, I needed a vacation

Anyway my timing is perfect - just bought a 965, just dumped over $6000 into it including wastegate, cat bypass, tune up, new tires, and just recently a set of wheels. Now I have some decisions to make... anyone want some nice Speedlines?
Attached Images  
Old 02-06-2009, 02:43 PM
brakinglate
Racer

So sorry to hear that man,,

If you dont mind me asking what did you do ?..ie job description
Old 02-06-2009, 02:50 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hey, in life there are players are there are spectators... now I'm not just watching from the sidelines, I'm actively participating in the recession! ha

I work(ed) in corporate finance, manager/project manager.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:01 PM
schred
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to see you taking it so well. It seems to be the story of the day every day now. We are all feeling the pinch in every aspect of life.
I keep hearing that term " it is going to get worse before it gets better" and I have tried to ignore it. It seems to be ringing true .
Best of luck and hope good things come your way soon.
FS
Old 02-06-2009, 03:50 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

It really is pretty wild. The consumer-driven economy model cannot continue as it has been for so long, that is for sure. I also believe it will get worse before it gets better. For now I'll enjoy the time off, get to a few things I've been meaning to do but couldn't find the time for, and then get back in job search mode. Might have to hold off on the 965 mods for a while though.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:45 PM
parsecnc4
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am so sorry to hear that! Our company is undergoing preparations for the same thing... only I am on the executing side. I am still having a hard time preparing for the upcoming speech and message I will have to give to the employees.

Indeed it is bad out there and I hope you received a nice package to last you a year or so. If you ever have a need to let the 965 go, I am always interested in picking up another P-car.

Take care!
Old 02-06-2009, 05:10 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by parsecnc4
I am so sorry to hear that! Our company is undergoing preparations for the same thing... only I am on the executing side. I am still having a hard time preparing for the upcoming speech and message I will have to give to the employees.

Indeed it is bad out there and I hope you received a nice package to last you a year or so. If you ever have a need to let the 965 go, I am always interested in picking up another P-car.

Take care!
Thanks for the kind words, things will work out fine in the long run. I don't have any plans to sell the 965 at this point, I will try to avoid that at all costs! But I will let you know if I change my mind
Old 02-06-2009, 05:14 PM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

Dude that sucks im sorry to hear that, makes me wonder if now is the right time to be buying a new/used car??? Good luck.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:18 PM
SonnyV
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear that. With your attitude you will find something else soon.

I company just let go 3 yesterday and 1 more today. Everyone on my project was all nervous.

Thanks goodness no one on the team was part of that 4.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:28 PM
kimo964
Racer

Good luck to you and hang in there.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:47 AM
pengole
Advanced

Hey sorry to hear about your job, that really does suck. Best of luck.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:57 AM
asimler
Racer

Really sorry to hear about the job, but you sound like you'll be a lot happier in the long run. Like SonnyV says, you have a great attitude.

I would love to buy the speedline but i'm in the UK so not the easiest. Glad you're keeping the 965 :-)
Old 02-07-2009, 09:08 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Ouch!!!

What a pickle the world this country and everyone is in. We have a long road ahead and a positive attitude is your best defense. It takes a strong, secure individual to hold their head up while facing such uncertainties. I am sure you will rebound from this. Lets hope we all do.

Sell the speedlines you can always get another set. You might as well loose yourself in some projects for a while I find it the best form of therapy.

Best luck and keep your chin up.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:59 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks guys, really it means a lot. As for the 965, I am NOT going to sell it! If it comes down to the house or the car, I'm keeping the car! ha

In all seriousness, I'm not too worried. I'm not leveraged to my eyeballs in debt like many are, and I can take a couple months if I need to.

I've received a lot of PMs about the Speedlines. I feel like the sharks are circling and there's blood in the water As for being able to find a new set in the future, Cobalt I hope you're right! It took me a while to find these. I'll post some pictures shortly.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:49 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Here are some pictures of the wheels. They're not perfect, a few minor scuffs around the outer rim, but are in extremely nice shape overall as you can see by the pictures. They're all original, delivered from the factory the way you see them. Until I bought them last week, they had been sitting in a car collector's climate-controlled garage for close to 10 years, according to the "caretaker" of the car collection.

On one of the wheels, there's a sticky residue on top of the last part of "Porsche" in the etching, but I don't want to attempt to clean it off for fear of scratching the finish. I know others who have had great success removing that sort of thing without a mark, but I'm just nervous to try. I dusted them off with a damp rag, but haven't cleaned them yet.

If you PMed me, and you are still interested I will respond in the order received. Thanks. I bought them for $4200 but didn't have to pay shipping as I picked them up in person. I'll take some more detailed pictures tonight of the minor scuffs in the wheels so you can get a better idea. They're what I would call a 9 out of 10.
Attached Images            

Quick Reply: OT: Surprise!