Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Grief with just purchased tubo.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 02:56 PM
schred
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the subject of a PPI, a previous poster discussed his experience with a slipping clutch and worn shocks. I think that you have to ask what you want checked in a PPI. I would not expect a technician to take a car out and flog it on public streets to try and get the clutch to slip or to attempt to get problems to show themselves. Most PPI's take place in a shop, with a short, but spirited drive , but certainly not several hot laps at a track. If you want to know if the clutch slips under full throttle in 3rd gear , then you should aske the tech to check for that.
I think that with buying these older cars, that you just have to budget extra dollars for those unforseen things that are going to come up.
Even a master tech cannot declare any car trouble free and perfect, unless he has just completed a total rebuild.
To blame a seller or a tech over problems that only a long or a hard drive would uncover is just not being fair.
Buyers need to also step up to the plate sometimes and accept the fact that all cars eat parts, and need maintance, even after being represented fairly.
To buy any old car and not expect to spend a dollar to two is just being a bit too optimisitic.
Frankly I get tired of hearing buyers whining about buying these cars and then having some issue with the car, especially when it is a 10 plus year old steed.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:39 PM
IrishTurbo2
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think this is very unfair to RPM. The garage's reputation is clearly very important and it only takes one or two bad experiences to totally ruin a dealers reputation, forums like these allow this to happen very quickly - its nearly a form of blackmail.
Having said that I also understand how frustrating it must be to buy a car and then for something like this to happen. I think people should be careful how they report incidents like this and always try and sort it out before using the forums. Maybe they should be left as a last resort. Fair play to RPM all the same !
Just my thoughts..
Old 01-27-2009, 08:51 PM
maverick
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Ray runs a fair and honest dealership. I have bought (and still own) 2 cars from him and obviously I am close enough to go by his place in person. I echo a lot of the earlier comments on the age of these cars. Funnily enough when I bought my Red turbo, the car in question was sitting next to it for sale. It had 11K miles and mine had 35K. Both were immaculate.
Ray's reputation will eclipse this storm in a tea cup but it should be a lesson to all that sometimes its not the best forum to air your grievances particularly when you only care to share one side of the story, or the final outcome leaves you feeling less than proud of the "Perfect Storm" you started.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:24 PM
mdonline
Instructor

Ray, it is not easy selling used cars particularly in this economy. Outsiders always think you guys make a killing. I am ABSOLUTELY impressed with the way you handled this situation.

Anyway, of any consolation to you, a friend of mine who is interested in your current listing of the Ferrari 512 TR asks me to check your reputation. Thus far, nothing in this forum points to anything but a stellar upstanding reputation. You got my thumbs up. I hope my friends calls you and buys the 512 from you.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:47 PM
c4consult
Racer

I did not mention the radio did not work. Six hundred dollars to fix air conditioning. Plus I could not close driver door without slamming. Ray said that it was because car was air tight. Had that fixed also.The only reason he gave me some of the repair costs was because of this forum, and all you great guys. Thank you for being here.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:53 PM
c4consult
Racer

Because of rays reputation I used the dealer he recommended. When I bought my ruf btr from hans at ruf I did not get a ppi. The car was perfect.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:04 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by c4consult
I did not mention the radio did not work. Six hundred dollars to fix air conditioning. Plus I could not close driver door without slamming. Ray said that it was because car was air tight. Had that fixed also.The only reason he gave me some of the repair costs was because of this forum, and all you great guys. Thank you for being here.
Obviously, you should have bought a new car.
If you buy an old performance car, you better have so much money that you write the checks and don't miss the money (and don't complain) or you better be able to wrench on it yourself (it's still expensive, believe me).
If you think that you are done having things fixed on your old Turbo, you've got another thing coming.....
Old 07-26-2009, 06:20 PM
c4consult
Racer

Paul B you just do not GET IT. Its not about the money.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:01 AM
mishpet
Intermediate

Default rpm

it seems that rpm paid for the repairs and did the right thing by his customer,it also seems that a ppi is not to be soley relied on as to a cars condition maybe these faults should of shown up.
old cars like these can develop faults at any time as a previous poster said, rpm paid for the faults to be sorted,but i think it would of been better to have given rpm the chance before posting on this forum then make a posting when both parties know where they stand that would of been the right thing to do all imho of course.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:43 AM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by c4consult
Not being able to pick up an oil leak and clutch is palatable but geez,the things mentioned above SHOULD have been picked up on a PPI...
I think you should mention the shop who did your cars PPI here as no one should go through the similar SHIITY PPI at such a LOUZY SHOP ever again..
Old 08-09-2009, 02:48 PM
mlambert890
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

He did mention where the PPI was earlier in the thread and it seems it was with a pretty respected tech (although of course you can *always* find someone who will post an opposing view about *anyones* services - thats just how life and human nature work)

I would think that the radio and AC can be checked the day you pick up the car. If the radio and AC dont work (two ridiculously obvious things that anyone can test before they drive away), then its either on the buyer or on the person they paid to do the PPI, IMO.

Its hard to imagine a dealer had a car sitting there with something as obvious and easy to fix as a radio and an AC (in TX... in the summer... LOL) and thought no one would notice and the car would somehow pass a PPI. Its also hard to imagine that a PPI wouldnt catch it. So either this is a giant conspiracy involving multiple parties to screw one guy on an old used car, or there are more bits missing.

Quick Reply: Grief with just purchased tubo.