Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   964 Turbo Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-turbo-forum-79/)
-   -   Grief with just purchased tubo. (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-turbo-forum/477831-grief-with-just-purchased-tubo.html)

c4consult 01-20-2009 09:21 PM

Grief with just purchased tubo.

Last week I purchased a 91 tubo from a well known dealer in houston. I had a ppi at a houston porsche dealer. drove the car home and their was oil spray on rear bumper. I drove to a very trusted repair shop in dallas, Ruf. I have dealt with them for 4 years .The chain tensioners need repair2500worth . I am having it fixed. The car has 27000 miles and just driven from houston to Ft worth. No warranty of course. Any thoughts please. Thank you.:crying:

schred 01-20-2009 09:40 PM

Ouch, we can feel your pain. I do feel that even with a PPI, that no one can catch everything and it sounds like it may have indeed took a long drive to notice the oil leak ? I would be sick as well, but in the end, get it fixed and enjoy the heck out of your low mile turbo and be glad that you are in a position in this economy to have purchased one !
Out side of the heartburn,how was the drive home ?

Boeing 717 01-20-2009 09:56 PM

Yea man that is a serious bummer !!! Hopefully that will be your only problem for a while. But i think age is a much bigger factor than mileage with these cars. Post pics soon!

lumpy 01-20-2009 10:51 PM

That's tough but I'm sure the ruf guys can fix her up just fine. Have you tried asking the "well known" dealer for some assistance in the needed repairs...sure it is a long shot but would be interested in his response. It would be a nice good will gesture on his part to offset some of the expence. If the dealer is RPM, I would think Ray would propose something reasonable.

One of Twenty 01-20-2009 11:11 PM

4Ruf,

Sorry to hear about your Tubo. Never PPI an air-cooled car at a dealer. They know water, as in water-cooled cars, and not much else. Sam, Ian or Ronnie at Protechnik would steer you in the right direction. How about some pics?

c4consult 01-20-2009 11:22 PM

Thank you all, will get back to you soon.

eclou 01-20-2009 11:34 PM

who did you buy from down here? NXcess or Expo?

c4consult 01-20-2009 11:36 PM

The drive home was great. Thank you. My last p car was a 95 ruf BTR, crazy fast, great car only good for very short drives. Now I now I am getting old, 65.

Texas993 01-20-2009 11:43 PM

Marvin, did you re-unite with your former BTR? As I am sure you know, it is back and for sale at RUF.

Agree with the advice given here, go back to the dealer where you purchased.

c4consult 01-21-2009 12:06 AM

Hi Patrick, Good to hear from you. My 964 tubro is at ruf now. I really thinkI found the right car for me. I saw my BTR there,I am to old for it. And very close to losing my driving license.6 speeding tickets. the beast did not like to go the speed limit. I miss the insane sound of it.Hope to catch you at Ruf.

V 01-21-2009 08:47 AM

I hope for your sake that it wasn't Victory Motorcars in Houston.. GL with getting everything sorted.

fritz k. 01-21-2009 09:29 AM

hi,
would be interesting to have a look to the invoice to see what ruf has actually done.
it is most unlikely that chain tensioner are worn. the one in my car have 60 TKM and look like new.

perhaps they have fixed oil leaking between chain- and camshaft-housing, this is a common problem. but it develops over a period and gets from bad to worse, it donīt occurs during a short ride in full extension.
it is not a secret how to hide a leak for a short while, you just have to clean up all involved components.
it is not a solution but would be helpful for PPI...

fritz

c4consult 01-21-2009 06:17 PM

Ray at rpm offered me 500.dollars towards the 2400 dollar repair bill. The underside of the car looked brand new, as fritz mentioned. I am very unhappy with this experience, as I checked out RPM before I dealt with them. And paid top dollar for the car.The chain tensioners are leaking not worn. I have used ruf for four years and have had great service. They felt so bad they are going to discount the bill. But I am not finished with RPM. Again thank you all for your replies.

pcar964 01-21-2009 06:59 PM

That's simply unacceptable in my opinion - RPM should make it right and pay the repair bill. They misrepresented the car, either intentionally or not. I will say this - there are many on this board paying close attention to how RPM handles this.

lumpy 01-21-2009 07:35 PM

I agree with pcar964, something doesn't smell right with RPM. He does a have a good reputation but this doesn't help. I bought a 993TT from him a few years ago and had two small issues: (1) only one set of keys after being told there were 2 sets and (2) my ballast failed for one of my headlights after a few weeks. I didn't fully pursue these issues and ended up taking care of it myself. Clearly my issues pale in comparison to yours...hope it works out.