964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Must be smoking some good stuff!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 05:02 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the heads up! This is why I love Rennlist!

OK so JUST talked to the seller who assures me all 4 wheels have an UPPER CASE "I" and it must have been a lighting effect. I didn't tell him why I was asking, just told him I was curious - so I don't think he has any reason to lie. In any case, he's local to me so I have his name and address if he were to rip me off

He said he would take $4,250 for them, does this seem like a reasonable deal? I have a hard time shelling out that kind of money, but when I compare the RH wheels at $3500 plus shipping (which are also heavier and bend more easily), it seems like a no-brainer.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:12 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar964
OK so JUST talked to the seller who assures me all 4 wheels have an UPPER CASE "I" and it must have been a lighting effect. I didn't tell him why I was asking, just told him I was curious - so I don't think he has any reason to lie. In any case, he's local to me so I have his name and address if he were to rip me off

He said he would take $4,250 for them, does this seem like a reasonable deal? I have a hard time shelling out that kind of money, but when I compare the RH wheels at $3500 plus shipping (which are also heavier and bend more easily), it seems like a no-brainer.

Upper or lower case "I" doesn't make a difference. They are still the real deal. Last i checked i can pick up a set new for $4361.08 so $4250.00 is a good deal although I haven't checked pricing and availability lately. If these were polished centers you would be looking closer to $5500 for the set.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:21 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by cobalt
Upper or lower case "I" doesn't make a difference. They are still the real deal. Last i checked i can pick up a set new for $4361.08 so $4250.00 is a good deal although I haven't checked pricing and availability lately. If these were polished centers you would be looking closer to $5500 for the set.
Thanks for the info... While these appear to be excellent condition, and include tires, here are my concerns:

1) The tires have been sitting for a while, and the rears, according to the seller, have a few cracks in the tread - presumably from old age, because the treadwear is minimal. So, while these wheels technically come with tires, I think they may end up being useless.

2) If you say a new set can be had for just under $4400, then that would make more sense. However, I'm guessing shipping would be $250 or so, upping total cost to around $4600. Oh wait I forgot tax, so that's another $280 or so. Up to $4880 now.

I just sent you a PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:04 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I realize these aren't the same wheels.. ($2700 plus shipping for polished and painted to order)
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...-new-rims.html

But why are the 964 Turbo SPEEDLINEs worth so much more?
Old 01-29-2009, 07:15 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by porschefig
I realize these aren't the same wheels.. ($2700 plus shipping for polished and painted to order)
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...-new-rims.html

But why are the 964 Turbo SPEEDLINEs worth so much more?
I'm guessing it's the wheel centers that are hard to come by... relatively rare just like the 3.6 Turbos themselves! The closest aftermarket copy is made by RH, and they charge $3500 plus shipping for their heavy, fragile replicas. Makes more sense to pony up a few extra $ and get the real deal.

The Daytona is a good looking wheel center, but for a 964/965 there is absolutely nothing better looking (in many peoples' opinions) than the 964 3.6T design wheel.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:17 AM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

I just blew up the pic of the etching, looks like an i to me... Must be the photo.

Unless your car is a '94 I would rather pay the extra and have new wheels, providing I could get either set with an I.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:28 AM
tjr
Burning Brakes

pcar964 there is a company in the UK (Performance Wheel Supplies - PWS) that has been selling 1 piece replicas of the Speedlines wheels, called the Veloce 3.6, for several years. I know a few 965 guys that have them and like them, including 1 that sold his Speedlines and bought these instead. They look pretty good have the 40 "bolts" of the Speedline and weigh the same and although they are 8.5 front and 9.5 rear, take the same tyre sizes as the Speedlines - 225s & 265s.

PWS currently has a few sets of these at a special price on eBay - they are currently on at £895 ($1300) + shipping:

In silver: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/18-Veloce-3-6-...742.m153.l1262

In black: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/18-Veloce-3-6-...742.m153.l1262
Old 01-30-2009, 09:57 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks tjr, that is very interesting - I considered replicas for a while, but decided to go with the real thing. There are a few reasons, one being I want the proper sizes so I can fit a 285 in the rear. I also want to avoid the heavy aftermarket copies like RH. If you say the Veloce are the same weight that is a positive, but they are still not the correct rear size and I wonder if the design is spot on - especially with the fake bolts. They do look pretty decent though from the pictures on ebay.

If I lived in a place where corrosion threatened to eat my wheels every couple years, as I've heard is the case in the UK, then I would probably consider aftermarket copies as a second set of wheels.

In any case thanks for the links - if I ever decide to go to the track, maybe I'll order a set for track wheels

Originally Posted by tjr
pcar964 there is a company in the UK (Performance Wheel Supplies - PWS) that has been selling 1 piece replicas of the Speedlines wheels, called the Veloce 3.6, for several years. I know a few 965 guys that have them and like them, including 1 that sold his Speedlines and bought these instead. They look pretty good have the 40 "bolts" of the Speedline and weigh the same and although they are 8.5 front and 9.5 rear, take the same tyre sizes as the Speedlines - 225s & 265s.

PWS currently has a few sets of these at a special price on eBay - they are currently on at £895 ($1300) + shipping:

In silver: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/18-Veloce-3-6-...742.m153.l1262

In black: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/18-Veloce-3-6-...742.m153.l1262
Old 01-30-2009, 12:01 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Thanks tjr, that is very interesting - I considered replicas for a while, but decided to go with the real thing. There are a few reasons, one being I want the proper sizes so I can fit a 285 in the rear. I also want to avoid the heavy aftermarket copies like RH. If you say the Veloce are the same weight that is a positive, but they are still not the correct rear size and I wonder if the design is spot on - especially with the fake bolts. They do look pretty decent though from the pictures on ebay.

If I lived in a place where corrosion threatened to eat my wheels every couple years, as I've heard is the case in the UK, then I would probably consider aftermarket copies as a second set of wheels.

In any case thanks for the links - if I ever decide to go to the track, maybe I'll order a set for track wheels

I would not use speedlines on the track. A nice set of BBS or Fikse's will cost less and weigh much less doing the same thing. The speedlines are expensive because for the longest time they were NLA. If you owned a 3.6T without them it impacted the value. In 2004 or so they went back into production and most all dealerships were charging MSRP + a 20% special order charge so well over $8k a set. We have learned that Sunset will sell them for far less and have passed the info onto others although these are few and far between now which should see prices increasing as they become NLA again.

They are also the only three piece wheel offered on a Porsche street car and many feel the best looking wheel ever used. That is why so many copies exist.

I have 2 sets one with the Upper case I the other with lower case. The "i" doesn't bother me and nobody ever notices until you point it out.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:04 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I'm with you 100% - I was pointing out that I would possibly buy a fake set for track use and keep the real speedlines for the street. But I still haven't decided if my 965 will ever see the track...

Originally Posted by cobalt
I would not use speedlines on the track. A nice set of BBS or Fikse's will cost less and weigh much less doing the same thing. The speedlines are expensive because for the longest time they were NLA. If you owned a 3.6T without them it impacted the value. In 2004 or so they went back into production and most all dealerships were charging MSRP + a 20% special order charge so well over $8k a set. We have learned that Sunset will sell them for far less and have passed the info onto others although these are few and far between now which should see prices increasing as they become NLA again.

They are also the only three piece wheel offered on a Porsche street car and many feel the best looking wheel ever used. That is why so many copies exist.

I have 2 sets one with the Upper case I the other with lower case. The "i" doesn't bother me and nobody ever notices until you point it out.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:04 PM
kimo964
Racer

In my previous post, I stated that I paid 5300.00 for my painted Speedlines from spg993tt. After checking my email and his tread, it was 4200.00.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:52 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I'm driving out to see and hopefully buy the wheels tomorrow morning.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:10 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kimo964
In my previous post, I stated that I paid 5300.00 for my painted Speedlines from spg993tt. After checking my email and his tread, it was 4200.00.
He sold quite a few sets.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:46 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

.... but when I compare the RH wheels at $3500 plus shipping (which are also heavier and bend more easily).....
Does anyone have any hard data to this effect?
Also, where's the data stating that the RH wheel is less damage tolerant?
There is one feature on the RH that is superior to the Speedline; RH uses stainless bolts, so they stay shiny forever. Speedline uses a steel that's zinc plated and it's the first thing to go to hell on a well used pair.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:34 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
Does anyone have any hard data to this effect?
Also, where's the data stating that the RH wheel is less damage tolerant?
There is one feature on the RH that is superior to the Speedline; RH uses stainless bolts, so they stay shiny forever. Speedline uses a steel that's zinc plated and it's the first thing to go to hell on a well used pair.
The speedline barrel and lip is heavier/thicker and the speedline uses a high Silicon/magnesium based aluminum alloy the RH does not. I believe the weights are about the same. The strength associated with high levels of silicon and magnesium is notable when casting aluminum. I know of a few RH owners that have bent their wheels on numerous occasions and when they bend they are waffled. The speedlines take quite a pounding and I did bend one of my rears once. I hit 4" deep pot hole at over 80 mph hard. the bend was hardly noticeable and was able to be straightened without issue. If I hit the same pot hole with an RH i would have been replacing the wheel. There is someone on this forum that hit a similar pot hole in his car using RH's and his wheel was far from repairable.

I agree the RH's do shine a bit more than the Speedlines but I decided my car has enough bling that i didn't even want the polished speedlines I had.

Quick Reply: Must be smoking some good stuff!!!