Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Turbo to Turbo S

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008 | 06:56 PM
ThunderC4S
Racer

Could you post more details on the RarlyL8 muffler ?
I assume it replaces the cat as well ?

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
FYI, I've never seen a street Turbo running 1 bar from the factory. I'm sure the reason is related to durability and warranty costs.

Absolute best bang for the buck:
*Send your WUR to Brian Leask and have him rebuild it. Do this before you stick that 1 bar spring in your car.
*Buy the upcoming RarlyL8 muffler (I have a prototype and it made a big difference)
* Make sure your recirc valve is operating properly. If it isn't get a new one.
*Lose the air injection (potentially big job but sheds 20 lb. of dead weight)
* If you have and extra $2500 at this point buy headers
The bonus to these mods is you now took 60 lb. off the very rear end of your car when you replaced the factory muffler, air injection and cat (subtract more weight if you do headers).
If the car isn't fast enough for you after these changes start saving for the crazy big HP mods.
Old 11-15-2008 | 08:40 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ThunderC4S
Could you post more details on the RarlyL8 muffler ?
I assume it replaces the cat as well ?
Here's the thread I posted about it. There's a link to Pelicanparts to a post that Brain Boddart (Rarlyl8) made about the muffler.
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-turbo-forum/459107-rarlyl8-muffler-install-on-a-965-a.html

It occupies the space that the cat normally sits.
Old 11-15-2008 | 05:05 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carlos993
I am fortunate enough to own a Turbo S Lightweight.
Haven't forgotten about you, Carlos. I have some very nice pictures of your beautiful S that I drool over whenever I see them.
Still waiting for the picture of your luggage compartment and then the documentation will be complete
Old 11-17-2008 | 04:25 AM
flyinb44
Track Day

I appreciate all the info guys. I have found the information on these cars to elusive at best. Were the cams the non turbo 964's? The car does currently have the B&B headers and muffler set-up. What does the Rarly8 add over this?
Old 11-17-2008 | 06:54 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by flyinb44
What does the Rarly8 add over this?
A light, low back pressure muffler that won't crack. You can roll a tennis ball through the primary.
Old 11-18-2008 | 10:44 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

I would have to agree that there are far better upgrades you can do than what the factory did however times have changed and a lot has been learned since 1992.

Although I have a 3.6 I have seen a number of 3.3 964's modified the same as my car and are pumping out about 320+ rwhp.

1 bar spring
B&B headers
Do not use B&B muffler I recommend a 3" magnaflow for very little $$ and an awesome sound. This requires cat delete.
HF K27 turbo
Billet BOV
K&N Filter
Drill the box if you want to add more sound and maybe 2 more HP.

With these simple mods you can see approximately what the turbo S made without opening the engine and easily handled by the CIS system without revising the system.

I do recommend the installation of a gauge like I use in my car. It is made by In your face gauges and gives you real time boost, AFR, Air intake and exhaust gas temps. It also conveniently mounts in place of the OBC in your tack.

I run a 1 bar spring without issue and the factory allowed up to .87 bar boost for the stock 3.6T's from the factory with the S's using a little more.

These cars are safe up to 15 PSI so long as temperatures are OK.

If you want more you now have to start thinking cams and other upgrades but if your going that far might as well go EFI and do it right.

Here is a pic of the gauge in my car. I highly recommend it for piece of mind.

BTW disregard the numbers the engine is off.
Attached Images    
Old 11-23-2008 | 09:38 PM
flyinb44
Track Day

thanks for the info cobalt. did you retrofit the tach yourself or did you have to send it out to be done?
Old 11-24-2008 | 11:03 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Here is the link. David is very helpful and will answer all your questions.

http://www.inyourfacegauges.com/

Quick Reply: Turbo to Turbo S