Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Rare Colors

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 06:17 PM
Vifa
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

In connection to used cars the dealer normally print out a page with option, factory color etc. I think BMW and Porsche dealer, which I am most familiar with, have some sort of a database over all production cars.

But new cars don't come with anything which looks like the thing you have in US.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:59 PM
HADS930
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cobalt-Another PM sent, thank.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:37 AM
biglicks
Burning Brakes

when buying second hand our point of ref for options is the sticker under the hood and on the inside ofthe service book. Unless we are fortunate enough to find a sales reciept (rarer than the colour of Cobalts car), most people tend to remove sales reciepts when selling on!
Old 08-06-2008, 02:49 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

That's how I know it here too.

You may be right about the lesser cars not being sold Anthony
Old 08-06-2008, 04:31 PM
X-1
Instructor

L729 Satinschwarz Metallic

I don't have any new pics of the car, and it's current state of disassembly is unbecoming, to understate. I've had a hard time finding ANY pics of any Porsches in this color. In low light it's black, in the sun the pearlescent metallic pops to almost slate grey. In evening light the hues and undertones change as you walk around it. (truly a snobby, garish embellishment!)
Old 08-06-2008, 04:40 PM
Ag02M5
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by X-1

I don't have any new pics of the car, and it's current state of disassembly is unbecoming, to understate. I've had a hard time finding ANY pics of any Porsches in this color. In low light it's black, in the sun the pearlescent metallic pops to almost slate grey. In evening light the hues and undertones change as you walk around it. (truly a snobby, garish embellishment!)
Plus your wing is hotness!
Old 08-06-2008, 04:46 PM
X-1
Instructor

Thanks!!! But right now there's nuth'n but air underneath it. After pulling the motor/tranny I stuck the wheels back on it and pushed it to the other side of the garage. The longblock goes up on the stand tonight, all the other hardware is in some state of getting cleaned and organized before I start in on the motor.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:08 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,053 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by X-1

I have 729 as Satin Black Metallic or what we call Metallic Black. Very nice color not all that rare but again not very common. I know of a half dozen or so turbos in this color.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:14 PM
X-1
Instructor

"...not all that rare but again not very common"

OK then, I will bask in my quasi-exclusivity.
I do have to say the '80s and '90s had some wonderful colors from Porsche. If I see another fg'n Boxter in Ambiguous Gray Metallic TODAY it'll be so innocuous I may not notice it until I run it over in my DD.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:58 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,053 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by X-1
"...not all that rare but again not very common"

OK then, I will bask in my quasi-exclusivity.
I do have to say the '80s and '90s had some wonderful colors from Porsche. If I see another fg'n Boxter in Ambiguous Gray Metallic TODAY it'll be so innocuous I may not notice it until I run it over in my DD.
LOL

I agree the mid 90's was the peak for so many things Porsche. The paints were the best. After 94 most all formulas changed due to VOC restrictions and although some variations of colors remained they eventually lost the effect/impact that these metallics hold. Not to mention the costly 26 stage paint process.

IMO all of the special order paints are special and give these cars a uniqueness.

I think the metallic black and gray are great colors for the turbos. Then again I don't think I have seen these cars in a color I don't like. Although I haven't seen mint green yet other than the video. Not so sure that would be a color for me.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:13 PM
Vifa
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I am pretty angry, have just found out at least two other Midnight Blue 964 (one of them a Turbo) are located in Denmark. Thought I was the only one with that color in Denmark.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:25 PM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

Schwarz and Midnight blue both GRREAT colours for 965's but not rare.
Amongst my good friends here in england we have several in midnight blue, and my very own (now sadly gone) was schwartz (metallic) black. Non-metallic black is also very nice for the older 911's. My previous 2 Carreras were in 'jet' black and when shined this was my very favourite :-)
Old 08-06-2008, 06:33 PM
X-1
Instructor

Cobalt, I concede that like most here I'd consider offers for my firstborn to have a 3.6 in Cobalt Blue. My first color choice is blue, I ordered my Rickenbacker 4003 in a very close color to your car. My Audi S4 was "Santorin", which when waxed was a rich, delicious pearlescent. My 3.2 Carrera was Baltic Blue, a killer hue.
Props to BMW for LeMans on the E39 M5 too. But Cobalt > *.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:37 PM
HADS930
Intermediate

Don't want to highjack, but finally got a few pics online. Know of one other this color, it was a slant.

Cobalt thanks again for the info.

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...r&linkid=link5
Old 08-07-2008, 08:31 AM
V
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SA Mike
That is so true. The Signal Green I used to have got looks everywhere I went. Like I said, I definatley felt like a rock star in that one. When I bought it from Ray, one of the things he said that was so true was "your gonna find people that absolutley love it or hate it. I know one of these days I'm gonna regret selling it....big time
I never thought of it that way, but now that I think of it, it seems logical. A question for you Mike: if you just consider the color (all else being equal) how do you perceive the journey from a pastel color (like signal green) to the black you have now? Do you regret going to black? Do you enjoy it being more subtle and "classic"? In the long run would you get tired of the green or would you get bored with the black? Both are/were fantastic cars regardless these are just questions from a "color perspective".

Cheers

V

Quick Reply: Rare Colors