Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

911ADDICT: NO 911! Its bye for now.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 04:43 PM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 911ADDICT: NO 911! Its bye for now.

My dear friends,
It is with sad regret that I must now announce that my car has indeed been sold.

I drove it with a vengeance to the last, just 2 short weeks ago, taking it to its maximum speed in the global warmed heat of the Bruntingthorpe Aerodrome and drag racing with F430's and 600bhp modified Godzillas against drivers with astonished looks on their faces as to how such a lowly powered, diminutive old thing refused to be shamed (and that's just the car!).

Despite Sunday morning knocks at my door from neighbours pleading for me to refrain from starting my car at 7am in full triple bypass glory, I doggedly refused to give in to the calls from the gullible masses for the reduction of my carbon footprint, and I continued to use the 'beast' as my daily driver, through the heat (well I did spend a fortune on rebuilding the aircon system!), rain (I fixed the leaky window seals, and ripped out the rotted underlay!) and snow (hose off all that salt and grit!)..... AND LOVED EVERY MOMENT OF IT.

Gone are the days of opening up the screaming wastegate on a deserted motorway on an early Sunday morning (yes, even yesterday, during my last day of ownership), particularly relishing blasting past high sided lorries with my passenger window lowered, and then lowering the opposite driver window every time a tunnel or bridge appeared, and the childish appreciation of the gunshots from the exhaust on lift off, as we snaked through quiet Cotswold villages with narrow streets and high stone walls, mesmerising rubber-necked pedestrians on the way.

The ever rising tariff of petrol and servicing costs of running a 16 year old Supercar every day have finally taken their toll....and absolutely nothing to do with the modification addiction that took its grip on my soul so early on! (at least that's what I tell the wife)

Yet another set of new tyres looming, a petrol bill last month for nearly £600, and the unrelenting niggles in my mind that those motorway miles would at last neccessitate a frontal respray, convinced my head that my wallet could not continue to sink cash into this bottomless pit. The bills I will certainly not miss, but that 'boostbong' I know I will!

Still, I am lucky enough to have made many friends here in the UK (and in fact all over the world) thanks to Rennlist, many of whom own 965's, so I am hoping I will still have the chance to be a 'fast' passenger!

Thank you all for your friendship over the past 2 and a half years, and I hope to still visit you sometimes on these boards.... you lucky b*****s!

Rennlist rocks

Last edited by 911addict; 07-07-2008 at 07:57 PM.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:53 PM
biglicks
Burning Brakes

Mark,

it's a double edged sword on this one, absolutely gutted another daily driver has bitten the dust, (and I'm about to follow you, only stopping daily use, will turn into a garge queen) am at least pleased you have taken what is the best course of action for you. I look forward to seeing you back in the fold at a later date. Have you thought of a replacement, or a cheaper to run Porsche?

Of course you are welcome to ride shotgun in mine anytime, if you make it over to France, or very shortly Swiss border.

Good luck
Steve
Old 07-07-2008, 10:10 PM
Boeing 717

Received 263 Likes on 158 Posts

This sickens me!!! Right after you put your best avatar up too. My wife and i have been talking about this as well. Were on a mission to pay off our mortgage asap but every time we take the car out for a spin we ( as in I ) change our mind and decide to keep it, its paid for so it does'nt really hurt us financially but i wonder how long it will be till i really have to sink some serious money into it. As of this moment were keeping it. I imagine its hard for you addict. Your a really freindly and helpful guy and i hope you continue to visit us.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:31 AM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Mark, can't understand why you couldn't buy a piece of ****e motor for commuting and keep the pork for weekends and events? I'm really gutted for you mate!
Did you mention Rennlist and other forums to the guy/girl that has bought it?
Old 07-08-2008, 04:40 AM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I too am using my 965 less and less nowadays... however I've decided that if I was to sell it I'd probably never be able to afford to get one again (looking to buy a house soon - seems like a good time if you can afford it...).

That means it's more than likely not going to get used more than a couple of days a month, and it's a diesel on the cards for me; something like a Golf, 320D or S60 D5....
Old 07-08-2008, 10:21 AM
JRRSA
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Wow, great write-up. Made me want to go home and get the car out. Sorry to see you go. Your car may be gone, however, that doesn't mean you can't still hang out with your friends on RL!

I'm sure that most of us are feeling the pinch of higher gas prices. I am finding that I am driving my car less and when I do drive it I have started using 4th gear occasionally in an effort to save fuel. Still need to try 5th some day.

I did a track event with my 87 Carrera last week. The cost of trailering the car to the track, running the car and paying the fees was significant. Not to mention the cost of tires, brakes, etc, etc. Going to need to cut back on that as well.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:21 PM
asimler
Racer

hi Mark
I didnt actually think you'd ever go through with the sale, i'm gutted, but I know you spent a long time thinking it through so am pleased for you (hope you got a good price, that car deserves one!)

So what have you bought to get you about?
Old 07-08-2008, 06:16 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Didn't think you'd actually be able to part with it, don't think I could of.

Still hope to meet you some day.

Best wishes,
Nathan.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:43 PM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for your good wishes, all.
I considered keeping it as a 3rd car or mothballing it in the winter, but even then the costs were prohibitive for me.
I'm not getting anything exotic for in the near future, will rough it in normal, cheap, older cars, shared with my girls.
This is the 3rd time, I've sold a 911 due to economic restraints, and its been sweet when I've come back into ownership. That's life (sigh).

PS: I sold it to Roly at eporsche after trying to sell privately and being let down by timewasters. I was pleased enough with the price, I think it was fair. Its coming up for sale, and he's aiming for a good margin, its what the car should be worth. Whoever gets it will have a good 'un and plenty fun.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:51 AM
tjr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mark,

That is truly the end of an era - whoever buys it from Roly will be buying a hell of a car. It was great meeting up with you and the old girl on Sunday. Are you still thinking about being blown by a cheap Italian mistress?
Cheers,

Tim.

Last edited by tjr; 07-09-2008 at 01:50 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:30 AM
biglicks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tjr
Mark,

That is truly the end of an era - whoever buys it from Roly will be being a hell of a car. It was great meeting up with you and the old girl on Sunday. Are you still thinking about being blown by a cheap Italian mistress?
Cheers,

Tim.
I think that one requires some clarification!!!
Old 07-09-2008, 08:26 AM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

Cheap & italian mistress are not usually in the same sentence
but I ran a Fiat Coupe 20VT for 4 years prior to my 965 and it was a great car. They are now very cheap, and they are TURBO so that is what i may be getting soon.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:53 AM
biglicks
Burning Brakes

sorry Mark, I think the way Tim puts it sounds far more appealing, if only you'd have used Belladonna instead of Fiat!!!
Old 07-09-2008, 02:40 PM
tjr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's now for sale at eporsch:

http://www.eporsch.co.uk/0101for_sale.htm
Old 07-12-2008, 02:29 PM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Hi Mark, just seen your news - what can I say ? At least you had a lot of pleasure from your
investment.Some of us have lost a bundle on the stock market lately with no fun involved!
Best wishes for the future.

Quick Reply: 911ADDICT: NO 911! Its bye for now.