964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Change from 17" to 18" - 964 Turbo -92

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008 | 12:58 PM
965Sweden
2nd Gear

Default Change from 17" to 18" - 964 Turbo -92

Hi there,
My race-friends are now uppdating their cars so I soon can't keep up! :-)
Off cource this is not a light racecar but i just love it and cant sell it for all the money in the world! :-)
Now I whant to change to 18" rims with more place for wider tiers with more grip!

Hope some one here can help me sort out the djungel with offset/ET and what rim dimentions I can put on my 964 Turbo -92.

I now have stock "cup" rims, 17", 7" in front and 9" rear, both with offset/ET55 i think. I now whant to change to 18".

I have a nice friend that offers me to lend his 18" front 8,5" with ET52 and rear 10" ET54.

Some questions:
- Can I use my friends rims on my car?
- What is the maximum (wide) 18" rims I can use on my car (front/rear)?
- What is the maximun wide tiers that I can use (front/rear)?
- What is the offset (ET) to look for?
- Do I have to use camber plates?

I probobly have to know other stuff that I haven't asked for, then please help me with that och ask me and I will come with the answer.

Thanks in advance!

Sunny regards,
// Martin.
Old 03-13-2008 | 01:54 PM
jim dorociak
Rennlist Member

Since you are not in the USA you should have normal trailing arms instead of the Turbo trailing arms. I believe yours are the same as the RS 964 arms. If so, you can run wider rear wheels than USA turbos can. Possibly as wide as a 11.5 rear wheel with the correct outer rim installed.
Jim
Do a search on speedline wheels and you will open the world of discussions.
Old 03-13-2008 | 02:54 PM
Burman
Instructor

He said "I can put on my 964 Turbo -92" so i guess he has the turbo arms with that high ET.

- Yes they fit your car perfect!
- I would say 10.5"- 11" if you got the ET right.
- 295 at the back and 245 in front.
- My friend has ET 47 at the back..that is almost to low.I would not go under 50.
- Sorry dont know..

Hope this helps.

Johan
Old 03-14-2008 | 11:47 AM
spjuvern
Instructor

Hi Martin

if you are going with michelin pilot sport cup as i assume they are a litle wider than other tires,
i do not rekomend 295 mpsc on a 10" they are to wide,
if you what 295 mpsc go with a 11" rim.
if you dont want to change the angles more than to day no nead for camberplates.

look at this page http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp
your original rims front 7" 55ET rear 9" 55ET

nice to see you agin yesterday, hope we meet at nurburgring in sommer
Old 03-14-2008 | 12:11 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Yes all 91-92 turbos are the same as far as the rear suspension and ride height. The ROW 93-94 turbos had a revised trailing arm not the N/A trailing arm and it used different rear sprigs and was 20mm lower than the US equivalent and 91-92 cars.

I think you would be hard pressed to fit 11's, 10.5 tops and a 295 will fit on a 10 but a 10.5 and 295 might rub. This all depends on spring stiffness and ride height used.
Old 03-14-2008 | 02:21 PM
tjr
Burning Brakes

I always thought that 11" was too wide for our cars but on the RH site, their 11" Speedline replicas are actually TUV approved for rear fitment See here:

http://www.rh-alurad.de/gutachten/RZ-041125-C0-041.pdf

As already pointed out, ride height and tyre width will be critical but I have seen two 965s with 11" rears fitted, so it must be possible.
Old 03-14-2008 | 02:22 PM
Ag02M5
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cobalt
This all depends on spring stiffness and ride height used.
I prefer not to use these as factors. Never know when you are going to hit something and compress the suspension.

Unless maybe we are talking race springs.

But for the street, I don't want it to rub at any height regardless of at rest.

Also the camber set up wil have some effect...but excessive negative camber to clear wheels isn't a great performance idea ALA Japanese VIP style.

RT
Old 03-14-2008 | 02:45 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ag02M5
I prefer not to use these as factors. Never know when you are going to hit something and compress the suspension.

Unless maybe we are talking race springs.

But for the street, I don't want it to rub at any height regardless of at rest.

Also the camber set up wil have some effect...but excessive negative camber to clear wheels isn't a great performance idea ALA Japanese VIP style.

RT
Agreed but if you have adequate clearance you would have to hit something awfully hard to bottom out your suspension to cause it to rub and then you might have bigger issues. Especially if your running stock height. Negative camber is great for handling but not to good for tire wear.

I run the 295's on 10's and have no rubbing issues even if I hit something hard. I don't see how 11's can fit but it may be possible.
Old 03-14-2008 | 02:50 PM
spjuvern
Instructor

Yes all 91-92 turbos are the same as far as the rear suspension and ride height. The ROW 93-94 turbos had a revised trailing arm not the N/A trailing arm and it used different rear sprigs and was 20mm lower than the US equivalent and 91-92 cars.

I think you would be hard pressed to fit 11's, 10.5 tops and a 295 will fit on a 10 but a 10.5 and 295 might rub. This all depends on spring stiffness and ride height used.
the michelin pilot sport CUP tire look realy bad on a 10" rim
it is posible but not the right choice

if you dont use the CUP michelin the 295 fits the 10" rim ok but not perfekt in my opinion.
Old 03-14-2008 | 04:07 PM
Ag02M5
Three Wheelin'

Also, I thought the 3.6 had some different steering stops for the wider wheel in the front. Still haven't figured out exactly how that works or if I need it on my 3.3.

RT
Old 03-14-2008 | 05:24 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spjuvern

if you dont use the CUP michelin the 295 fits the 10" rim ok but not perfekt in my opinion.
Sorry read it wrong I am running the MPS2's in a 295 and think it looks great. Don't see anything wrong with the way this looks, Sorry don't have a better pic. Although the MPSC doesn't look much different on the same rim.

Although if I was going to run an R compound on the street I think the new Toyo R888 would be a better choice.
Attached Images  
Old 03-14-2008 | 06:09 PM
Burman
Instructor

Sorry read it wrong I am running the MPS2's in a 295 and think it looks great. Don't see anything wrong with the way this looks, Sorry don't have a better pic. Although the MPSC doesn't look much different on the same rim.

Although if I was going to run an R compound on the street I think the new Toyo R888 would be a better choice.

Yes it looks GREAT!! I also have 295 but not MPSC.

Last edited by Burman; 03-16-2008 at 06:54 PM.
Old 03-15-2008 | 07:55 PM
965Sweden
2nd Gear

All: Thanks allot for all you're useful feedback!

Cobolt: Those rims looks just awesome...maybe the best looking rims on the 964T...?! :-)

Spjuvern: Thanks and It will be just great to meet you in Germany later this season and also to see you're nice 964T "Track-car" in action.

Because It's so difficult to find the speedline rims (and quite expensive):

Question:
- Is there any OEM-Speedline-rim, or "look-a-like", that has the same strength as the original rims so I can use them on the track, and as on the e.g. Nürburgring-Nordschleife, go over the rumble-curbs at Hatzenbach II (small curbs) without the rims getting oval or break?
Maybe I have to buy new original ones to get my hands on a good set of speedline rims (...expensive).

Anyway, now, with you're help I can say YES to my friend and try out his rims this season!
Hopefully I stand a better chans with wider tiers, front 235 and rear 265 ...or 285 this year!
I had a slightly under steered car last year with 205 in front and 255 rear.

- To give you the hole picture of my cars set up i wright down the setup below.

Ok, I have a new Bilstein PSS-9 chassie installed in 2007 on my car and all the chocks are in level 4 (level 1 = max hard, 9=soft).
I gained more than 30 seconds per lap on the Nordschleife going from the original 10.000 mil (Swedish mil) chassie to the new PSS-9! :-D

My chassie data right now below;
Front:
Hight: 110
Camber: 2.25 grader
Toe: +-0 mm.

Rear
Hight: 124
Camber: 2.10 grader
Toe: + 2.5 mm.?? Did my mechanic wright down this right?

I have the "BigRed" breaks from the 964 3,6 T on my car and they work great.

- Thanks!
// Martin.
Old 03-15-2008 | 08:41 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Agreed but if you have adequate clearance you would have to hit something awfully hard to bottom out your suspension to cause it to rub and then you might have bigger issues. Especially if your running stock height. Negative camber is great for handling but not to good for tire wear.

I run the 295's on 10's and have no rubbing issues even if I hit something hard. I don't see how 11's can fit but it may be possible.
Anthony it all depends on the tire you are running. I agree with spjuvern that a 295 tire is on the wide side for a 11" rim. The side walls of the 295 tire will bulge outward a little bit on a 10" rim whereas a 11" rim will strech the tire more and thereby increase sidewall clearance.

Thus for you, with the sidewall bulging outwards on the 10" there might no (as you say) be much clearance left to the fender wall. A 11" rim (the rim itself) will sit closer to the fender wall BUT the sidewall of the tire (in this case the limiting factor) will be streched inward so my guess is the end result is probably that the clearance is much less affected by the increase in rim with (given the same 295 tire) than one might think at first glance.

Originally Posted by spjuvern

spjuvern although I agree that a 295 tire is a little big on a 10" rim, you also have to consider that tire size varies greatly with brand. Michelin is the widest tire by far, much wider than for example the same size Pirelli. I would go as far as saying that a 295 Pirelli PZero rosso and a 285 Michelin Pilot Sport are equally wide if you measure them. That being said, I would recommend sticking with a 285 tire on a 10" rim. Since the 295 tire is too wide, the sidewalls will bulge outward and therefore the end result is that you do not get much (if any) more grip than the standard 285 on a 10" rim.

Originally Posted by 965Sweden
All: Thanks allot for all you're useful feedback!

Cobolt: Those rims looks just awesome...maybe the best looking rims on the 964T...?! :-)

Spjuvern: Thanks and It will be just great to meet you in Germany later this season and also to see you're nice 964T "Track-car" in action.

Because It's so difficult to find the speedline rims (and quite expensive):

Question:
- Is there any OEM-Speedline-rim, or "look-a-like", that has the same strength as the original rims so I can use them on the track, and as on the e.g. Nürburgring-Nordschleife, go over the rumble-curbs at Hatzenbach II (small curbs) without the rims getting oval or break?
Maybe I have to buy new original ones to get my hands on a good set of speedline rims (...expensive).

Anyway, now, with you're help I can say YES to my friend and try out his rims this season!
Hopefully I stand a better chans with wider tiers, front 235 and rear 265 ...or 285 this year!
I had a slightly under steered car last year with 205 in front and 255 rear.

- To give you the hole picture of my cars set up i wright down the setup below.

Ok, I have a new Bilstein PSS-9 chassie installed in 2007 on my car and all the chocks are in level 4 (level 1 = max hard, 9=soft).
I gained more than 30 seconds per lap on the Nordschleife going from the original 10.000 mil (Swedish mil) chassie to the new PSS-9! :-D

My chassie data right now below;
Front:
Hight: 110
Camber: 2.25 grader
Toe: +-0 mm.

Rear
Hight: 124
Camber: 2.10 grader
Toe: + 2.5 mm.?? Did my mechanic wright down this right?

I have the "BigRed" breaks from the 964 3,6 T on my car and they work great.

- Thanks!
// Martin.
Martin, if you want a good and affordable copy of the 3.6 speedline design I would go for Kerscher. www.kerscher-tuning.de. Light and far more durable than the RH wheel. Good luck
Old 03-16-2008 | 11:45 AM
Rickard 993 Turbo
Rennlist Member

I see that the street warrior Burman is talking here..

It's complete diffrent tire if you use Cup or street tire or the Ps2 tires

If you are going to use 10" go for the 285 tires, the 295 are to wide, it doesnt performe good on the rim and looks very bad, this is for MPSC

Quick Reply: Change from 17" to 18" - 964 Turbo -92