964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Question on EFI between stock and 3.2 Intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 05:39 PM
Reiguy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on EFI between stock and 3.2 Intake

I am trying to narrow down my EFI choice and I am looking at a few different options however I am unclear on one thing. I know their are options for our stock intakes with fuel blocks and rails however....If I pick up a 3.2 Intake, Can I use the stock fuel rails and hoses on the 3.2 Intake? I am assuming I can and I am also assuming I can run say a 70ish/Lb Bosch style injector in the stock 3.2 rail as well. I am going to have alot of work done to the heads so I wasn't overly concerned with the port matching required. If my logic is correct, it almost seems like the price of purchasing the required fuel blocks, lines and rails are roughly yhe same or more than just purchasing a 3.2 intake complete....Obviously the extra money is in the head work and intercooler fitment but I am addressing those anyway..

OR>>>>>

Do I just extrude-hone the stock intake?? can i open up the ports on the stock intake (for more air) and port match to the heads? will it flow just as well (or close)?....I suppose then I would have to re-work the fuel blocks though and that would probably be cost prohibitive. Looking for answers, any suggestions appreciated, I am almost their on my list
Old 01-28-2008, 07:04 PM
Y65MPH
Pro

First off, if you are going to spend the money to have proper head work done, get the carrera intake. It allows alot more air into the heads, thus more power. I always felt the stock intake was a major limiting factor to potential power. You can use factory fuel rails, I have them on mine. Picture of my engine below.

Craig

Last edited by Y65MPH; 12-26-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:23 PM
Ag02M5
Three Wheelin'

3.2 or 3.6 intake?
Old 01-28-2008, 07:29 PM
Y65MPH
Pro

3.2 intake
Old 01-28-2008, 07:30 PM
Reiguy
Advanced

First off, if you are going to spend the money to have proper head work done, get the carrera intake. It allows alot more air into the heads, thus more power. I always felt the stock intake was a major limiting factor to potential power. You can use factory fuel rails, I have them on mine. Picture of my engine below.
Thanks for the insight, would you mind elaborating on the system You have and whether or not You would go the same route again? I am considering the DTA 80 ECU or possibly, a quite simple system, the Simple Digital System as I believe it will suit my needs. What injectors are you running and roughly, what is your setup? Cam, Turbo...Bigger P&C's? Thanks
Old 01-28-2008, 07:44 PM
Y65MPH
Pro

I have a Protomotive engine build, which is a Motronic EFI conversion. Other than Protomotive, not many builders use Motronic. Mostly because it is older technology, but who is to argue with Todd Knighton when it comes to big power. My engine has titanium rods, valve springs, custom grind cam (more aggressive than a GT2 grind), garrett GT35R turbo and lots of head work. This type of build is not for everyone. I wanted an engine that was very high HP. At idle the engine sounds like a Harley Davidson.

Anyway, if I had to do it over, I might have twin plugged the heads which I don't think would have brought alot more power. Other than that I am super happy with the build.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:06 PM
Reiguy
Advanced

Well, I am after similar power..Here was my rough plan:
EFI ( most likely 3.2 intake, not fully decided on EFI setup as of yet, have many ideas)
Full Bay intercooler (Blown Six possibly)
GT 35R Turbo (I am looking for an aggressive street car)
GT II Evo Cam
RaceWare Head studs and connecting rod bolts
QSC 3.5L slip Fit Cylinders w/ JE Pistons (8.0 Comp)
Stock Rods (Shoot Peened)
Stock Crank (Will have checked)
Heads...Port matched to Carrera intake is a given, Twin Plugged is a given, I will go with top notch springs, valves and retainers done by Precision Heads which is nearby to my home.
Exhaust: GSF Headers and Zork tube....no Cat
Suspension: H&R/Bilstein
Clutch: QSC Forged flywheel and Centerforce clutch
....and everything else in between
Any comments appreciated (and donations...LOL)
Old 01-28-2008, 08:19 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

As mentioned, you can use the 3.2 Carrera fuel pressure regulator, damper, lines and rails. Why mess with factory stuff when it works fine? Craig looks to be running stock 993TT injectors which are saturated injectors rated at 44lb/hr. They will support about 430hp give or take a little. If you are looking for 550+hp, then you will need 72lb/hr injectors.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:21 PM
Y65MPH
Pro

Change the rods!!!! Especially since you are boosting the compression. Also consider the 3.4L Mahle Yellowbird pistons rather than the 3.5.

Who is going to do the build and tune?
Old 01-28-2008, 09:21 PM
Reiguy
Advanced

Change the Rods? That surprises me, I have read only good things about the rods in terms of strength.
As for the Mahle's...a bit pricey and the QSC's are full-finned cylinders which I like...no intention of tracking the car so no sustained rev's...as for the compression bump, I am not 100% on that as of yet.
As for the build, I am doing it with the exception of head machining...I am fully tooled, air,have lifts in my garage, etc...and have done other rebuilds albeit not porsches however I am gathering info like crazy and I am very competent around an engine...and if I get stuck, your only in NJ..LOL
I'll do the base tune and take it somewhere for the final tune...I need to ddecide that as it will play a part in the ECU I choose

Last edited by Reiguy; 01-28-2008 at 09:34 PM. Reason: forgot tune info
Old 01-28-2008, 09:26 PM
kleinbbc2
Racer

You need to talk to your tuner and engine builder to have everybody on the same build. You should look for someone that can do all the stuff you want done so you can pick up a running tuned car.

Were my car is at in south Fl they do all the tricks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csyFv2dXJRg
Old 01-28-2008, 10:08 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

It has been my experience that I like the 8:1 compression especially if run at 7.bar which makes for a very reliable engine. I'm not a fan of JE pistons in any application, but to each their own. The stock connecting rods will be fine as long as you keep the engine below 7000rpm. If you have a lighter piston than stock, you might get away with 7250, but beyond that you need to address a number of other issues.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:10 PM
Y65MPH
Pro

I run 72lb/hr injectors (they were changed), stock compression, 1.25 bar, 7500 RPM .

Rei, do you plan on using flame rings?
Old 01-28-2008, 11:31 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Don't forget that stock compression is somewhere in the range of 6.8:1 compression
Old 01-29-2008, 01:00 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

I'm with Geoffery on the JE pistons, spend the money for the Mahle's it will be cheaper in the long run. Use the 3.2 intake , the GT35 is not a big deal on a 3.4 L engine , use a .96 back housing if you use the T3 flange , keep your stock wastegate, , the S80 can control the boost.variable or switched hi/low.
convert to a 3.6 factory crank trigger setup if possible , use all the factory 3.2 stuff rails ,regulators and idle valve , 72 lbs injectors are fine.......if you are going to run DE's flame ringing is highly recommended.

Quick Reply: Question on EFI between stock and 3.2 Intake