Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Intercooler upgrade, Fans installed!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008 | 09:36 PM
Flachbau
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cobalt
I also agree that these are the only 2 I/C's I have seen with cast raised lettering. Almost every I/C I have seen are clean with no marks.
My understanding is that the early 3.3 turbos had the IC units with raised lettering on the front and then the subcontractor was changed and the front lettering was eliminated but the part is the same all the way through the last 3.6 Turbo S. Many 91' turbo's have this older version and I've seen several of these for sale on ebay over time.
Old 05-07-2008 | 11:11 AM
al 965
Instructor

The stock air box you have is one of the biggest heat soak on a stock car. It needs to go if you are worred about heat.
Old 05-07-2008 | 11:13 AM
Ag02M5
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by al 965
The stock air box you have is one of the biggest heat soak on a stock car. It needs to go if you are worred about heat.
Hey Al. What is the best material for an airbox to avoid heat soak?

BTW...still have your car?

RT
Old 05-07-2008 | 03:34 PM
Mauri
Rennlist Member

@az930

wow, that really sounds interesting! Now I really want to know the difference, hope the gauge comes soon...

do you have some experience when standing still too?

When driving around with no boost, it should be around ambient. But if you idle along in traffic and/or standing still the temps do rise immediately, according to my mech.
Old 05-07-2008 | 03:51 PM
AZ930
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mauri
@az930

wow, that really sounds interesting! Now I really want to know the difference, hope the gauge comes soon...

do you have some experience when standing still too?

When driving around with no boost, it should be around ambient. But if you idle along in traffic and/or standing still the temps do rise immediately, according to my mech.
Thats what I was referring to when I mentioned idling. I drive my car sometimes when its 115 out so I monitor the temps closely.
Old 05-07-2008 | 04:02 PM
Mauri
Rennlist Member

Ah ok, didn't realised that ;-)

Also strange is that I didn't feel any air-flow without the fans, when i turn them on I can feel how the air gets sucked in. So maybe theres still an improvement to the stock cooling?

The fans have about 150cfm each (I hope I didn't mess up with the metric values, it's 250 m3/h). Those are industrial ones from ebm-papst, full-metal and 13.5cm diagonal each.
Old 05-07-2008 | 04:33 PM
AZ930
Instructor

Ah ok, didn't realised that ;-)

Also strange is that I didn't feel any air-flow without the fans, when i turn them on I can feel how the air gets sucked in. So maybe theres still an improvement to the stock cooling?

The fans have about 150cfm each (I hope I didn't mess up with the metric values, it's 250 m3/h). Those are industrial ones from ebm-papst, full-metal and 13.5cm diagonal each.
At idle lay a sheet of paper on the decklid and you can see there is airflow. A turbo engine fan moves 3,178 cfm @ 6,000rpm which is a little more than 150cfm fans.
Old 05-07-2008 | 10:06 PM
maverick
Addict
Rennlist Member

It looks like the 1991's were made Jan 17th 1991
Attached Images  
Old 05-08-2008 | 01:13 PM
Mauri
Rennlist Member

Yeah, but the engine is not constantly on 6k rpm. At least in my case The fans together do 600cfm all the time.

Another thing is, the air usually takes the easiest way in and there are sure some other places where the air can get into the engine bay much easier than through the intercooler net.

So still not sure, if the fans are good or bad or nothing

curious to see whats up, have you ever tried to put on some fans?
Old 05-08-2008 | 02:43 PM
Ag02M5
Three Wheelin'

Why not a roof spoiler like a WRX sti to direct more air flow down onto the wing/intercooler?

Old 05-08-2008 | 04:23 PM
AZ930
Instructor

Yeah, but the engine is not constantly on 6k rpm. At least in my case The fans together do 600cfm all the time.

Another thing is, the air usually takes the easiest way in and there are sure some other places where the air can get into the engine bay much easier than through the intercooler net.

So still not sure, if the fans are good or bad or nothing

curious to see whats up, have you ever tried to put on some fans?
Mauri, I commend your efforts and think its always good to try new things. But, the fans are only going to improve flow at idle which is not when you need airflow through the intercooler. At speed is where the airflow is needed to cool the charge and prevent detonation which those fans will not be able to keep up with the engine fan and airflow over the tail therefore restricting flow. Air does take the path of least resistance and the C2 shroud on the decklid is designed to get lots of flow through the intercooler and engine. Also, theoretically at idle the engine fan is flowing almost as much as the electric fans so I would say anything over 2,000 rpms the fans will be hurting you more than they help. Anyway, it's always fun to experiment and since you have them on already post your results when you get them!
Old 05-09-2008 | 02:32 PM
Mauri
Rennlist Member

Can't wait to test

I fully get your points, so at my sight, everything's possible. But you strengthen back my thrust in Porsche engineering just couldn't believe that they did so wrong with the intercooler.

RT, at least because of the look I wouldn't put on something like this

the eye friendly version would be to put the back window up, like posted before. That looks great and maybe even does the trick
Old 05-09-2008 | 02:35 PM
Ag02M5
Three Wheelin'

RT, at least because of the look I wouldn't put on something like this
No not that hideous!! But the theory.

Something that is a cross between that and the OE 993 roof brake light that would attach to the glass?

Any interest? Carbon fiber? I may look into making them.

RT
Old 05-10-2008 | 04:04 AM
Mauri
Rennlist Member

I fear that it only works right when placed like on the wrx. The Brake light thing itself seems to be a step backwards like shown on page 1.

No easy task to get this right. You will have to merge form and function, thats never easy ;-)

Quick Reply: Intercooler upgrade, Fans installed!